BSOD 0x124 To do with my CPU

andrew89898

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, The other day whilst playing BF4, I had a blue screen of death. So I fired up Windbg and found out that it's pointing to a hardware problem with my CPU, specifically the cache. I am unsure of how to find out any extra information, so I am asking you guys. I'll upload the minidump and I have a full 800mb memory dump if anyone needs access to that. Here is the error:
x64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE
And it is reported as hardware.

If there is anything else I can provide, please ask.

Thanks.

Solution
looks like a standard overclock error. You have a 3.4Ghz CPU running at 3.6GHz
I would suspect the default bios settings and clock are incorrect.
you are running a BIOS version f4 and you should have version f8 installed.

you are also running some 2012 overclocking software
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AcpiCtlDrv.sys Tue Jul 17 10:07:16 2012
Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility Performance Tuning Acpi Control Driver
\C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers\IocDriver\64bit\iocbios2.sys Thu May 23 14:24:11 2013

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4489#bios

- update your BIOS, remove your overclock software and see if the problem goes away.

---------------------------------
BugCheck 124, {0...
Is your PC overclocked? Because that is a very common error code for PCs that have been overclocked a little too much, and the OC is unstable.

If not, D/L and install the program "Blue Screen View": http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It may give you more than one BSOD dump file to choose from. If so, pick one which seems to be the most relevant. Please copy a screenshot of what it shows and post it here.

Yogi

the error does indicate that the CPU did get a cache memory error from the memory controller inside the CPU.
(error from a memory bank inside the CPU, not your external RAM)

-look for overheating, overclocking, under voltage problems to the CPU.
-Update BIOS, update intel chipset drivers directly from intel. remove any overclocking software.

Generally, the problem should not be caused by a driver unless it is a overclocking driver.
(there are exceptions to that though)

andrew89898

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, My PC isn't overclock I have my i5 4670k at stock speeds with stock cooler, had the PC about a year. Temps at idle are around 35-45 at load, late 60s early 70s with spikes as high as 80C. Could be a voltage problem but I thought that stock speeds with stock volts should be okay?

Thanks again.

some BIOS versions will put the stock voltages too high on the assumption that you will overclock. They end up updating the BIOS and fixing the defaults. So be sure to make sure you have the current BIOS or manually set your voltages to your CPU and RAM.
Generally a memory dump called by the CPU does not have all the info in it. The CPU is in the process of telling the system to shutdown because the CPU failed. You are lucky to get the basic debug info in the dump file. Put up the memory dump, we can look at the BIOS info it contains and the list of drivers and some hardware info that might be useful.

the information about your pc is contained in the memory dmp itself.
you can upload either memory dmp for this problem.

I can look that the .zip file also but best if the file is not compressed and I can look at it directly.

looks like a standard overclock error. You have a 3.4Ghz CPU running at 3.6GHz
I would suspect the default bios settings and clock are incorrect.
you are running a BIOS version f4 and you should have version f8 installed.

you are also running some 2012 overclocking software
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AcpiCtlDrv.sys Tue Jul 17 10:07:16 2012
Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility Performance Tuning Acpi Control Driver
\C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers\IocDriver\64bit\iocbios2.sys Thu May 23 14:24:11 2013

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4489#bios

- update your BIOS, remove your overclock software and see if the problem goes away.

---------------------------------
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800a295028, be000000, 100110a}

bugcheck WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

!errrec fffffa800a295028 show the following error
Error : GCACHEL2_ERR_ERR (Proc 3 Bank 5)

machine info:
BIOS Version F4
BIOS Release Date 05/16/2013
Manufacturer NOVATECH LTD
Product Name BB-46708B
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Z87-HD3
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Processor Voltage 8bh - 1.1V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 7000MHz
Current Speed 3600MHz

Solution

What do you have against the Intel XTU? Have you ever used it? I use it frequently and I find it to be really handy.

Whether or not IXTU will OC the PC is totally up to the user. It has NO "Auto OC" capabilities whatsoever. The user enters the desired settings and IXTU will apply them, BUT THAT IS ALL. I find it so convenient because it can apply new settings without rebooting the PC, in most cases. If changing memory settings, that may require a reboot.

I think that IXTU is a very handy piece of software and I highly recommend it.

Yogi

I don't have any problems with overclocking software, but as a general debugging procedure
removal of overclock software help to Isolate problems. If a bug looks like it is in BIOS but you have overclock software overriding BIOS settings you don't know if it was the software or the BIOS. You can not remove the BIOS so you remove the overclock software and retest.

for debugging it is always useful to make sure the problem occurs while not overclocking, otherwise you end up
looking at code that was modified by the hardware as it is being run and does not exist in reality. ie. the copy in the CPU does not match the copy on the hard drive or in memory.

with overclocking type errors, like this I tend to suspect the overclock as the cause unless they can reproduce the problem without a overclock

andrew89898

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, I have uninstalled the XTU and have updated my bios to F8. Temperatures are the same, but I just had a random shutdown like I was in windows and the computer completely shut off then turned back on with the "Start windows normally", no bluescreen. I'll let you know if anything else happens. I'm planning to buy a Hyper 212 and new thermal paste and dust out my PC in a few weeks as well.