[SOLVED] BSOD 3 Hours After Windows 10 Update

Aug 9, 2021
Hello,

I had an update around 7pm CST for windows 10, and around 3 hours later I got a BSOD (Blue Screen). It said there was a IRQL error. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I found a thread on here explaining the steps to solve the issue. Problem is, I was unable to even load into Windows, I stayed on a black screen.

Here is what I've tried thus far....

Tried both RAM sticks separately, pulled gfx card out using only mobo, tried DP and HDMI cables, popped out cmos battery then popping back in, psu is on and components are powered. Only thing that I have had work is taking the SSD and plugging it into the PC it came from, booted right up into Windows. So far, I have scanned the disk using CHKDSK as well as the DISM commands listed in a tomshardware guide on this site. I have also restored windows to before the system update occured, hoping that will help. In the meantime, I was hoping someone could guide me to getting logs to inspect and post here so I can understand them, and troubleshoot any issues if necessary with help from the community. I would run a memtest, but my older tower is ddr3 memory so no dice on testing the RAM yet. Please let me know what you all would need and I'll gladly post updates as I come across them. Thank You...

Here are the system specs for newer PC....

I7 6700k
16gb 2400mhz ddr4 ram
asus z170a mobo
1060 gtx 6gb
700w corsair psu
crucial 500gb ssd
Windows 10
Stock Clocks (nothing touched in bios or software for OC)

Last edited:
Solution
IRQ errors can be Drivers, its possible the update included drivers.

can you set this up in case it happens again

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the...
Aug 9, 2021
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x00000000000003bf, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8012b3fe2f2). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 7c3b6dc2-b4b0-41dc-91cb-86a1be326bc9.

Colif

Win 11 Master
IRQ errors can be Drivers, its possible the update included drivers.

can you set this up in case it happens again

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

happen to know what KB number the update was that caused error?

Solution
I have a question: When you stay on the black screen, do you have your mouse cursor and can it move?
From my understating, the black screen of death is generated when a driver tires to load to initiate a device but fails and stays in a loop trying to load (I had this problem in windows 7 and managed to fix it, in my case it was Intel and Killer LAN drivers fighting each other, once I deleted the Killer drivers, the problem was gone).

Try to unplug one by one each of your USB devices and reboot the PC. (do it one by one to isolate the problematic driver, if you do it with all, you wont know which one is the problem).
Assuming you manage to get Windows to load, get a different driver (previous or newer or even no driver at all if possible, meaning letting windows load its default driver) for the device that was causing the problem.

The highest % is the oldest USB device you have.

Let me know if this helps.

Aug 9, 2021
So I plugged my SSD back into the new tower and still won't post. There is no mouse cursor. Not even the Mobo splash screen. Monitor light just blinks.

I only have wireless headset, keyboard and mouse plugged into the 3 USB slots and all are new and never had problems. Software is all current.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This update also went through...
Intel - System - 2040.100.0.1029
Intel - Net - 12.19.0.16
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...tel-management-engine-driver-for-nuc11pa.html is the 1st one
2nd is ethernet drivers.

top ones are curious, you don't have a nuc. So I wonder why those ones were installed.
irq error could be either of those. the intel management engine seems to be wrong version and the newest version I can find is 2 years old... which seem odd - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/46644/software/chipset-software.html

there are newer versions but I can't seem to get them from Intel

this one mentions your chipset - https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ne-driver-for-windows-8-1-and-windows-10.html