BSOD - 7F Error when trying to access HD

Stephen Galea

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Dear all,

I have the following problem occurring on my pc.
I noticed that this problem mostly seems to occur when I access a particular drive while its idle. I reinstalled windows 7 64bit, however problem is still occurring.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1082

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050033
BCP3: 00000000000406F8
BCP4: FFFFF800030C6090
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Kindly any help on where to start, and finally narrowing the problem down, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

satrow

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
It sounds like a hardware error. List of diags here.

STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack
0x7F with 0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use !thread to determine the stack limits, and then use kb (Display Stack Backtrace) with a large parameter (for example, kb 100) to display the full stack.
A hardware problem.

Stephen Galea

Honorable
May 11, 2013
The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors. Pc was over-clocked using automated AI Suite - ( Asus Software) and now set to default once again.
I also had Avg PC tuneup installed and removed, as am suspecting it can have something to do with this error... but its only a speculation.
Have to check weather fault occurs once again or not..

I wanted to thank you for your time in trying to help me out, however I am a beginner where it comes to trouble shooting, and thus I have not understood everything.

Error happens around once or twice a day... not more at the moment.

Thanks once again.

TRENDING THREADS