[SOLVED] BSOD after a Windows update

Dec 4, 2020
Hello everybody!

Few months ago after my Windows 10 automatically updated I started getting weird BSODs while booting.
They happen when I turn on my Xiaomi Notebook Pro with USB C monitor attached and turned on.
This monitor also charges my laptop and has built in USB hub and Ethernet port.
When display power is off then my laptop boots normally.
Also after BSOD finishes it boots as well with monitor turned on so there's no bootloop.
I used Snappy Driver and have my OS updated to latest possible and it didn't help.

This is what Whocrashed shows:

On Fri 04.12.2020 15:12:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\UcmUcsiCx.sys-20201204-1512.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ucmucsicx.sys (UcmUcsiCx+0x18A82)
Bugcheck code: 0x1D4 (0x0, 0x12, 0xFFFFD50EA0037840, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ucmucsicx.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: UCM-UCSI KMDF Class Extension

The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 04.12.2020 00:06:53 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120420-37657218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x244567)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF805052FA320)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 04.12.2020 00:06:53 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: storport.sys (storport!storportinitialize+0x26dc)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF805052FA320)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\storport.sys
description: Microsoft Storage Port Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Wed 02.12.2020 10:13:25 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120220-113625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3f5210)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF80612AFB320)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Solution
Unfortunately I don't have these dump files anymore after reinstalling Windows. To clarify the only BSOD I'm getting now is DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION.
I left DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION BSOD to collect information about the error, but after 10 minutes it was still stuck at 0% so I reset my laptop. I don't have any dump files now on C:/Windows.
basically this means that windows made a hardware request, started a timer and waited for a response. if the timer goes off before the response then this bugcheck is called.
this was added to prevent the system from waiting forever for a response that the hardware missed or did not ever issue.

most likely a drive disconnected and did not reconnect . you would update the bios, cpu chipset...

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\
  2. copy the files from here to another folder
  3. upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here

I used Snappy Driver and have my OS updated to latest possible and it didn't help.
most of the time 3rd party driver updaters can make it worse. They don't always get the right drivers

ucmucsicx.sys - part of windows, I am not exactly sure what it does - http://thewindowsupdate.com/2018/11/07/debugging-ucsi-firmware-failures/

this might help
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

the storport.sys error could be USB c related.

Dec 4, 2020
most of the time 3rd party driver updaters can make it worse. They don't always get the right drivers
Now I know. I had to reinstall Logitech drivers after using it.

1. can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\
  2. copy the files from here to another folder
  3. upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here
https://mega.nz/folder/FxAVQCSQ#hwBEw_VutIBugncpks2haQ

Powershell:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> SFC /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/cu1xkdg8/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:120220-113625-01.dmp (Dec 2 2020 - 04:13:25)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 19 Hour(s), 54 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:120420-37657218-01.dmp (Dec 3 2020 - 18:06:53)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

System: Timi TM1701

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

one of the bugchecks looks like the PCI bus told your storage to power up and it did not respond, then the system tried to reset the device and it did not respond. when the watch dog timer expired the system called a bugcheck.

I might go into bios and reset it back to defaults. This will let the system reconfigure all the hardware resources and send a new database to windows.

i will take a look at the second .dmp file:
second bugcheck was basically the same.
(i don't see anymore dumps)
: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.0, DMIVersion 0, Size=3809]
BiosMajorRelease = 106
BiosMinorRelease = 117
FirmwareMajorRelease = 0
FirmwareMinorRelease = 7
BiosVendor = INSYDE Corp.
BiosVersion = XMAKB5R0P0E07
BiosReleaseDate = 09/11/2020
SystemManufacturer = Timi
SystemProductName = TM1701
SystemFamily = Timibook
SystemVersion =
SystemSKU = TM1701-16771
BaseBoardManufacturer = Timi
BaseBoardProduct = TM1701
BaseBoardVersion = MP
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 1992
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Update Status = REG_DWORD 0
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ GenuineIntel
MSR8B = REG_QWORD b400000000

I would turn the system off let it cool down and see if it starts up ok.
maybe make sure it stays cool, and don't block vents. this is based on a guess that the storage is overheating and the device stops responding.

Dec 4, 2020
I might go into bios and reset it back to defaults.
Reset what exactly to defaults? I haven't found any options in bios to reset.
I found now that it BSODs also after you put it into sleep mode and then wake up with monitor plugged in.

I would turn the system off let it cool down and see if it starts up ok.
maybe make sure it stays cool, and don't block vents.
Recently I cleaned the vents and still have BSODs. They happen also when turning on at the morning when laptop is cold.
I wonder if there's other possibility than doing clear installation of Windows 10 here?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Xiaomi MI notebook Pro?

Reset what exactly to defaults? I haven't found any options in bios to reset.
he means the entire bios, I can see its an INSYDE bios which are always fun. as are notebooks in general as the manual for them won't tell you anything about bios. I can't find anything if I search for the bios version number its showing PC.

Device doesn't have a cmos battery, but if you unplug the main battery in unit the bios settings will be reset to defaults. link

Dec 4, 2020
Xiaomi MI notebook Pro?

he means the entire bios, I can see its an INSYDE bios which are always fun. as are notebooks in general as the manual for them won't tell you anything about bios. I can't find anything if I search for the bios version number its showing PC.

Device doesn't have a cmos battery, but if you unplug the main battery in unit the bios settings will be reset to defaults. link
Yes, Xiaomi Notebook Pro.
I tried to reset it by holding shut down button for 20 seconds which has helped me with other problem in the past but it didn't help this time. Also after reinstalling Windows 10 it happened recently again.
I wonder if it can be caused by some new drivers?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it were a driver that was cause, the only 3rd party one I would think would relate to NVME actions is

Jan 21 2020secnvme.sysSamsung NVM Express Controller Storport Miniport Driver
on the 2nd of December you had that file above installed
On the 3rd you had this one installed
Oct 12 2017secnvme.sysSamsung NVM Express Controller Storport Miniport Driver
which makes me scratch my head? why did you go backwards? Maybe Snappy driver but how did it convince windows to install an older driver...

i have the latest one installed but I can't tell what its creation date is as its blank on my pc
its on here under NVME driver - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Dec 4, 2020
if it were a driver that was cause, the only 3rd party one I would think would relate to NVME actions is

Jan 21 2020secnvme.sysSamsung NVM Express Controller Storport Miniport Driver
on the 2nd of December you had that file above installed
On the 3rd you had this one installed
Oct 12 2017secnvme.sysSamsung NVM Express Controller Storport Miniport Driver
which makes me scratch my head? why did you go backwards? Maybe Snappy driver but how did it convince windows to install an older driver...

i have the latest one installed but I can't tell what its creation date is as its blank on my pc
its on here under NVME driver - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
Could be, this time I downloaded some driver from Samsung website. I will check that one. What's weird however is that it happens only with display turned on.

you should provide this file: C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\UcmUcsiCx.sys-20201204-1512.dmp
this is microsoft debugger trying to find out why the system was having a problem with the
usb type c firmware (either on the local motherboard or in the monitor, both might be able to be updated)

if you change the memory dump type to kernel and make a kernel memory dump and provide memory.dmp file
then someone can take a look at the internal logs to see if a error is reported.
debugger command is
!rcdrkd.rcdrlogdump ucmucsicx

Dec 4, 2020
Unfortunately I don't have these dump files anymore after reinstalling Windows. To clarify the only BSOD I'm getting now is DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION.
I left DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION BSOD to collect information about the error, but after 10 minutes it was still stuck at 0% so I reset my laptop. I don't have any dump files now on C:/Windows.

basically this means that windows made a hardware request, started a timer and waited for a response. if the timer goes off before the response then this bugcheck is called.
this was added to prevent the system from waiting forever for a response that the hardware missed or did not ever issue.

most likely a drive disconnected and did not reconnect . you would update the bios, cpu chipset drivers, and any special drivers for the actual drive, then the firmware for the drive if you can.
(assuming the drive is just not overheated)
you might also be able to prevent the problem by using windows control panel power management and telling the drive never to sleep. (for the case where the drive does not get its wake signal)
you should also check any bios setting for the drive and make sure it is marked as removable or is how swap enabled. it sound stupid for a internal drive but it does allow windows to issue a reset to the drive and cause it to reconnect if it gets disconnected for some reason. (if it does not reconnect in 30 seconds it will call this bugcheck that you currently have.)

you can also start cmd.exe as an admin
then run
powercfg.exe /energy
other options to check are /systemsleepdiagnostics and /systempowerreport

each option generates a report and might find problems with sleep functions in your machine.

Powercfg command-line options | Microsoft Docs

Solution
Dec 4, 2020
I uninstalled Samsung NVMe driver, but then BSOD happened once after that. Then I checked with powercfg.exe /energy and there weren't any problems.
Now after a few boot ups there was no BSOD. I will let you know if it ever happens again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One thing I would suggest
Don't use snappy driver to update in future. 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong and can install the wrong drivers leading to unwanted problems.

Most of the time the only drivers you need for hardware that windows 10 doesn't have a newish copy of are LAN & GPU drivers. Your device doesn't have LAN drivers so that makes it somewhat easier, you have Intel WIFI and Win 10 likely has that now. Your GPU is also Intel . Just use the intel updater for most of your PC really... https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/detect.html

If you unsure, you can always ask us. Much prefer to be asked before than to have to fix after :)