BSOD after bios update (Asus H110M-K)

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Hi,

I just updated my Asus h110m-k bios from 18xx (I don't remember) to 3403.

Now when I try to boot into win7, I get a BSOD stop error.

"THE BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant"

Here's what I have already tried:
Restored bios to factory settings.
1) enabled xmp profile - boot failed
2) manually set ram clocks - boot failed
3) changed the serial port settings.
4) Renamed the hyberfile.sys to hyberfilesys.old
5) tried removing and reinserting CMOS battery.

I also have Ubuntu installed, and It boot fine.

Any solution you guys can think of?

Solution
Well chalk the issue up to a faulty BIOS chip then. Glad to see that you're working out of the box(so to speak) ;)

For the record, don't tamper with the OSes files and look at the BIOS when a BIOS update sends your system through a BSOD/inability to boot. If you can't revert to an older BIOS revision, it's possible that the makers of the board/BIOS chip have installed a form of a cut off point to prevent the system from going to an older, unstable, glitchy, faulty BIOS revision.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you made sure your primary boot device is the drive with your installation of Windows 7 on it? Speaking of installation, are you working with only the boot drive connected off the primary SATA port on your motherboard(with every other SATA device unplugged)?

Ideally you shouldn't update your BIOS in one jump if there is a gap to jump across. If you see a gap of revisions, it's best that you gradually work your way through the BIOS updates. In your case, you should be working through 2003, 2102, 3016, 3401, 3402 and finally to 3403.

Within the compatibility option, see if CSM is enabled.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Hi Lutfij,
Thanks for the answer.
I have connected a single sata HDD and it is the windows boot drive. I get the BSOD when windows startup animation starts.

I have CSM the enabled.

I wasn't aware of the fact that you should update bios by each release.

Is there a way to revert the bios??

Edit: I was able to revert the bios firmware till version 3016.

All older firmwares are reported as incorrect bios files.

Bootrec

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

The Windows Boot Manager is finicky with hardware changes and firmware update. Not as much nowadays but certainly was with Windows 7. Did you try booting into safe mode? What was the result? Did you try to boot from the Windows 7 installation and run a "repair"? With a dual OS system, you introduce another layer of issues because usually the boot manager from one OS overwrites the other. I've set up my computer years ago with dual booting OS for testing and learning purposes (Linux) and that always cause troubleshooting later one. I use virtual machines now for testing other OS.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Thanks Guys,

I sent the board to Asus and got it back much swiftly, seems like some batch of the h110m-k suffers this post bios update issue.

They changed the Realtek audio chip. Everything is working fine now.

Lutfij

Titan
Well chalk the issue up to a faulty BIOS chip then. Glad to see that you're working out of the box(so to speak) ;)

For the record, don't tamper with the OSes files and look at the BIOS when a BIOS update sends your system through a BSOD/inability to boot. If you can't revert to an older BIOS revision, it's possible that the makers of the board/BIOS chip have installed a form of a cut off point to prevent the system from going to an older, unstable, glitchy, faulty BIOS revision.

Solution