[SOLVED] BSOD after BSOD for months - Brand New PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 1, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some help on some BSODs I've been getting, but before that I feel I should give a run down of how I got here.

This is the first time I have built a PC, I built it a couple of months ago. For the first few hours of use I ran into a heap of BSODs whenever I played games, attempted to fix them, ended up bricking my OS and had to reinstall it. I tried reinstalling drivers and everything. Finally worked out it was overheating was my issue because as soon as i opened up the side of the case it worked fine. PROBLEM SOLVED I thought, ill wait a while and just buy better cooling get an AIO and better fans.

Months pass and I buy my new cooling stuff. plug it in, make some fan curves and im all set no more BSODs, then I notice that if I play for a long period of time or on a particularly GPU stressing level or area, it BSODs. I figure my fan curves were a bit weak so i made them better, looks all good, then it happens again. Checking thermals I see that everything seems to be fine. GPU and CPU both running at around 60 C max. Then I notice the BSODs seem to be in regard to memory, so i check the M.2's thermals and it gets quite hot the max i saw it was 45 C, so I move that from behind the GPU to underneath, once again looks good. Then it BSODs again, this time with DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN so i roll back to an old Nvidia driver doing a fresh install too. Still BSOD's but only memory management or Tried to Write to Readonly BSOD's occur.

This is where i am now, my guess is over the many many BSODs caused by overheating my M.2 is fried or partly fried. I ran the built in error checker in windows on it and got nothing.

Here is a Google Drive link to a Folder of 3 Minidumps, with the last one being the lastest.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YFZhRdgnPAyjpNgWLRUY61yVK9gwuct5?usp=sharing

Here are my Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core AM4 3.6GHz
GPU: Galax GeForce RTX 2060 EX Click 6G OC
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WIFI AM4 ATX Motherboard
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 550W PSU
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2x 8GB) F4-3000C15D-16GTZR DDR4 3000Mhz Trident Z RGB
STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM007 SATA 256mb Cache
STORAGE: Kingston 500GB A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD

Thank you for your time, it is much apprecaited

Last edited:
Solution
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x1E_c0000005_R_STACKPTR_ERROR_nt!ExFreePool
my uneducated estimate of that is its a stack pointer error. that is based on letters lol - https://whatis.techtarget.com/defin... stack pointer is a,push down" the older ones.

now the pool is in ram, there are 2 pools. Paged & non paged pools. they are where drivers live - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/memory/memory-pools

I can see the hypervisor in there as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor because Windows 10 runs virtual memory. How far down the rabbit hole you want to go? the more you ask, the more you find out.

I can tell you it was an operation in ram, I can't see it...
Oct 1, 2020
well, August isn't exactly old. What i said was either get drivers from Nvidia

Microsoft have older Nvidia drivers, from 6 or so months ago, they might be more reliable than the latest from Nvidia.

You right, you had said you were using drivers from a few months ago.

sorry wasnt sure how old i figure that august was old enough.

Just checked Device Manager and the Driver version is 26.21.14.3200, its from 24/07/2019, pretty certain thats old enough.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020
Next time you encounter a BSOD anyway, use this app to collect all the info and post that instead:

The additional info can provide some good insight. It'd be interesting to go through event viewer.

Alright sure thing, if staying on these older drivers fixes the issue, ill return to the latest to see if what info we can find out.

I'll report back in about 30 minutes or so just gonna try and run the same games and see what happens.

Oct 1, 2020
de ja vu from yesterday

Well, thats a rip, same style of BSOD. after 10 minutes or so of playing i BSOD, i got memory management and upon restart i got another one think it was system thread handle it was to quick to read it. I check the minidump there is only one file and is 0kb. Plus the system booted really weird after that one, it sat on the like motherboard brand screen for ages then went black, returned to it then finally booted to windows.

Here is the minidump file and the file from the other thing you wanted me to run.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LEZZToqwdjl79crIzLpk0DAOFx6rrqLh?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
nothing obvious...

icue has been crashing, Corsair service display adapter .its crashing on my pc as well so I can't really use that as evidence of anything. I have seen it crash on other peoples PC as well. I blame it.

Oct 1, 2020
nothing obvious...

icue has been crashing, Corsair service display adapter .its crashing on my pc as well so I can't really use that as evidence of anything. I have seen it crash on other peoples PC as well. I blame it.

Are you saying that its the reason for my crashes? Any idea what I should do to fix it, the whole reason i have it is because all my cooling and my headset uses it to recieve updates and do RGB <Mod Edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
ICue - not blaming it for anything.

you know how I said 99% of the time Direct X problems are GPU drivers. the other 1% is sound drivers.

Now error 1 from yesterday has audiodg.exe crashing. That is the Microsoft Audio Device Graph Isolation and it is used in association with Audio drivers.
Which audio do you use?
RTKVHD64.sysRealtekRealtek HD Audio Driver03/12/2019

nvhda64v.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Audio HDMI Driver (nForce Chip)09/06/2020
there is a newer realtek audio driver on here - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

the nvidia driver is if you use hdmi for audio, and has likely been changed a few times recently.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Code:
Event[21]:
Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

Event[44]:
Crash dump initialization failed!

Did you do anything during this BSOD? I.e. shut it down manually? As it not creating dump files can be indicative of a problem with the generation process, which often relies on Memory and Storage. Looks like it didn't initialise in the first place.

It is unusual from my experience to have the sheer number of errors you are encountering. But if we encountering BSOD, it's hardly a usual situation.

Code:
Event[274]
The WlanSvc service depends on the Wcmsvc service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

There are also a few of these lingering around different services failing. I know these types of errors are not uncommon, but wondering if in this case it could be pointing somewhere.

Oct 1, 2020
ICue - not blaming it for anything.

you know how I said 99% of the time Direct X problems are GPU drivers. the other 1% is sound drivers.

Now error 1 from yesterday has audiodg.exe crashing. That is the Microsoft Audio Device Graph Isolation and it is used in association with Audio drivers.
Which audio do you use?
RTKVHD64.sysRealtekRealtek HD Audio Driver03/12/2019

nvhda64v.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Audio HDMI Driver (nForce Chip)09/06/2020
there is a newer realtek audio driver on here - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

the nvidia driver is if you use hdmi for audio, and has likely been changed a few times recently.

I believe I only use the Realtek one, my monitor doesnt have speakers in it. I'll update the realtek ones and see what happens

Oct 1, 2020
Code:
Event[21]:
Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

Event[44]:
Crash dump initialization failed!

Did you do anything during this BSOD? I.e. shut it down manually? As it not creating dump files can be indicative of a problem with the generation process, which often relies on Memory and Storage. Looks like it didn't initialise in the first place.

It is unusual from my experience to have the sheer number of errors you are encountering. But if we encountering BSOD, it's hardly a usual situation.

Code:
Event[274]
The WlanSvc service depends on the Wcmsvc service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

There are also a few of these lingering around different services failing. I know these types of errors are not uncommon, but wondering if in this case it could be pointing somewhere.

No i didnt do anything, legit the first BSOD occured, it booted and before i even saw the windows logo appear another BSOD happened, i think it was system service or something it was to quick to read. Then the boot process was really weird, it sat on the motherboard brand screen for ages then it went black, returned to the brand screen and a few seconds later windows booted normally.

Oct 1, 2020
if a bsod occurs before windows is logged in or up to a certain point, you don't get dumps. it all depends what fails.

So tried to use the realtek driver thing, and idk wtf its doing but it launches, says it unistalled a driver, offers me to restart so that upon boot it will automatically install the driver, i accept the restart then upon boot, it opens again and the loop continues it doesnt seem like its updated anything im not sure if its ment to be a manual thing or not because it says it does it by itself

edit: now i cant hear any system sounds. legit, it unistalled the driver and wont install it idk what to do now.
EDIT 2: just checked and game and discord audio is coming from my headset but system sounds arent along with some other stuff

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
why can't anything work like its meant to...

realtek drivers have changed recently, there are two types. the old drivers and new ones that have 2 different parts to program.
When I downloaded the Realtek drivers from Gigabyte for my PC they won't even run. PC doesn't like name of the file. So I am running Microsoft drivers instead.

could try the latest from here - 6.0.8978.1 FF00 - https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/135259-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-2-a.html

Oct 1, 2020
why can't anything work like its meant to...

realtek drivers have changed recently, there are two types. the old drivers and new ones that have 2 different parts to program.
When I downloaded the Realtek drivers from Gigabyte for my PC they won't even run. PC doesn't like name of the file. So I am running Microsoft drivers instead.

could try the latest from here - 6.0.8978.1 FF00 - https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/135259-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-2-a.html

yeah ive got no clue, ill try do the 2 part thing they are asking me to do, it appears ive got 2 different types of realtek stuff ive got a digital output and also this one we are trying to sort out now, for some reason system audio is going to the realtek digital output instead of my headset.

Oct 1, 2020
Alright I have come back with good news, I used the tenforum one and it worked and i fixed the issue of system sounds going to the digital output thing.

I'll try and see if i can replicate my BSOD again and ill report back with info, so ill be back in like 10-30 minutes.

Oct 1, 2020
i haven't tried them, I assumed you could download the HDA driver by itself.

Audio drivers can be a pain to get right. MIne work now, I don't want to mess them up.

well. doesnt look like it fixed it though i do think its fixed somethings because now the minidump file is half the size it used to be

here is a link to the google drive folder with the minidump and the sysnative zip

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16xIYF-rvLXKtJGRs2TXL6MSLICKKKjUX?usp=sharing

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
well. doesnt look like it fixed it though i do think its fixed somethings because now the minidump file is half the size it used to be

here is a link to the google drive folder with the minidump and the sysnative zip

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16xIYF-rvLXKtJGRs2TXL6MSLICKKKjUX?usp=sharing
Just for the record, now that you are running the Sysnative app, you don't need to grab any dump files manually. The app pulls them out automatically and puts them in the ZIP file so everything is one nice package. I'm running through the latest one now. I'll be honest, if issues are starting prior to Windows loading, this could be looking beyond software.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So app updates the zip file that is uploaded automatically? What magic is this¿
Forgive me, not sure what you mean. I just mean in the link being provided, OP is giving a new link with the SysnativeFileCollection and the nnew dump file next to it. New dump file next to it is not needed as it will be in the ZIP file just created.

I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/L8snx9m4/show/

Summary of findings:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExFreePool+9 )

Reactions: GentleAU

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Make sure to check your power supply too. It can cause a vast array of problems and mimics other hardware issue symptoms. Commonly if it's a long running problem that is unfixable it's always the PSU being unstable. You can give it a shot.

OS issues, driver issues, graphics issues, monitor issues, ram issues, BSoDs, HDD corruption. If it's all fixed and came back after a week or a couple of days, it's always the PSU.