[SOLVED] BSOD after BSOD for months - Brand New PC

Oct 1, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some help on some BSODs I've been getting, but before that I feel I should give a run down of how I got here.

This is the first time I have built a PC, I built it a couple of months ago. For the first few hours of use I ran into a heap of BSODs whenever I played games, attempted to fix them, ended up bricking my OS and had to reinstall it. I tried reinstalling drivers and everything. Finally worked out it was overheating was my issue because as soon as i opened up the side of the case it worked fine. PROBLEM SOLVED I thought, ill wait a while and just buy better cooling get an AIO and better fans.

Months pass and I buy my new cooling stuff. plug it in, make some fan curves and im all set no more BSODs, then I notice that if I play for a long period of time or on a particularly GPU stressing level or area, it BSODs. I figure my fan curves were a bit weak so i made them better, looks all good, then it happens again. Checking thermals I see that everything seems to be fine. GPU and CPU both running at around 60 C max. Then I notice the BSODs seem to be in regard to memory, so i check the M.2's thermals and it gets quite hot the max i saw it was 45 C, so I move that from behind the GPU to underneath, once again looks good. Then it BSODs again, this time with DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN so i roll back to an old Nvidia driver doing a fresh install too. Still BSOD's but only memory management or Tried to Write to Readonly BSOD's occur.

This is where i am now, my guess is over the many many BSODs caused by overheating my M.2 is fried or partly fried. I ran the built in error checker in windows on it and got nothing.

Here is a Google Drive link to a Folder of 3 Minidumps, with the last one being the lastest.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YFZhRdgnPAyjpNgWLRUY61yVK9gwuct5?usp=sharing

Here are my Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core AM4 3.6GHz
GPU: Galax GeForce RTX 2060 EX Click 6G OC
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WIFI AM4 ATX Motherboard
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 550W PSU
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2x 8GB) F4-3000C15D-16GTZR DDR4 3000Mhz Trident Z RGB
STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM007 SATA 256mb Cache
STORAGE: Kingston 500GB A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD

Thank you for your time, it is much apprecaited

Last edited:
Solution
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x1E_c0000005_R_STACKPTR_ERROR_nt!ExFreePool
my uneducated estimate of that is its a stack pointer error. that is based on letters lol - https://whatis.techtarget.com/defin... stack pointer is a,push down" the older ones.

now the pool is in ram, there are 2 pools. Paged & non paged pools. they are where drivers live - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/memory/memory-pools

I can see the hypervisor in there as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor because Windows 10 runs virtual memory. How far down the rabbit hole you want to go? the more you ask, the more you find out.

I can tell you it was an operation in ram, I can't see it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
read only memory is ram so its not related to ssd, it could still be drivers. Parts of ram are set as read only as they are where drivers are run in, so its likely a driver is trying to write to ram that another driver is currently running in., its fairly common. for older drivers.

I will ask some friends to convert it for me. I don't know when that will happen.

Nothing from this year on website for motherboard so that means Gigabyte aren't changing anything much for it going forward - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl although comparing the drivers on your board to mine, the lan drivers are the same versions, that could just mean Intel are slack, as there are differences with regards to audio drivers and chipset (I have a X570 Aorus).

There should be newer Audio drivers but we see what dumps show before I guess anything.

Reactions: GentleAU
Oct 1, 2020
read only memory is ram so its not related to ssd, it could still be drivers. Parts of ram are set as read only as they are where drivers are run in, so its likely a driver is trying to write to ram that another driver is currently running in., its fairly common. for older drivers.

I will ask some friends to convert it for me. I don't know when that will happen.

Nothing from this year on website for motherboard so that means Gigabyte aren't changing anything much for it going forward - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl although comparing the drivers on your board to mine, the lan drivers are the same versions, that could just mean Intel are slack, as there are differences with regards to audio drivers and chipset (I have a X570 Aorus).

There should be newer Audio drivers but we see what dumps show before I guess anything.

Thanks heaps man looking forward to what the minidumps say, glad to hear that i might not have to replace my M.2. I'll stop gaming and other stressful tasks until i hear back, i dont want to make anything worse. Once again thanks for the help

EDIT: I also have 2 other minidumps i can provide if that can help in anyway, but if figured 3 was more than enough, and because from memory they were 3 different ones.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020
comparing the drivers on your board to mine, the lan drivers are the same versions, that could just mean Intel are slack, as there are differences with regards to audio drivers and chipset (I have a X570 Aorus).

UPDATE

I download the new audio drivers, and decided to test out a game to see if it fixed it. No it did not, this game in particular cause the BSOD to occur instantly instantly once loaded so its good to test solutions. this time i got the BSOD Page fault in nonpage area, this is one of the ones that occured back when i first got my pc. Then appon launching the Windows, i got another bsod Unexpected kernel mode trap and it never loaded, it just stay at 0% for 30 minutes, so i turned of my pc and now its working fine. I'll refrain from gaming and other stressful tasks for the mean time. if you would like this minidump i can upload it to the same google link.

Oct 1, 2020
yes please, the more info you give us, the better chances we get a fix.

We are waiting for someone to convert dumps but he isn't always online.

I found I couldn't install the audio drivers from Gigabyte, I seem to be running drivers from Microsoft.

Ok ill add all the other minidumps to the link.

Here it is again just incase it changes
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YFZhRdgnPAyjpNgWLRUY61yVK9gwuct5?usp=sharing

sorry for the late reply didnt think id get a response this quick :)

Oct 1, 2020
well, you know, I am in same country I would guess from your user name anyway, and times you post on.

Now the person who actually converts them is in USA or UK (there are 2 of them)

oh i had no idea haha, i figured most people on here would be american so i assumed the same for you, sorry about that mate haha

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/aqef2jvm/show/
(Old outdated report: https://jsfiddle.net/Lb42y3aj/show/)

Summary of findings:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiResolveTransitionFault+ca2 )
--------------------
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
--------------------
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiRaisedIrqlFault+1e28fe )
--------------------
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiRestoreTransitionPte+2c3 )
--------------------
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+469 )

@Colif I'll leave this one for you :)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Page fault (3rd error) mentions Direct X. Vast majority of the times I seen that in a dump the cause is GPU drivers.
I can tell you have an Nvidia card but oddly I can't see the actual display driver among your drivers?
nvvad64v.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Virtual Audio Driver14/03/2019
NvModuleTracker.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Module Tracker29/11/2019
nvhda64v.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Audio HDMI Driver (nForce Chip)09/06/2020
UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sysNVIDIAUSB Type C Port Controller Driver

none of those are the display driver. nviddmkm.sys (from memory) is the display driver.

Try running DDU and either get drivers from Nvidia or run windows update after exiting safe mode use older Nvidia drivers that may be more stable - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I can't tell what cause is for other 4 but since 2 happened in games, you could guess it might be the GPU drivers there as well.

Oct 1, 2020
Page fault (3rd error) mentions Direct X. Vast majority of the times I seen that in a dump the cause is GPU drivers.
I can tell you have an Nvidia card but oddly I can't see the actual display driver among your drivers?
nvvad64v.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Virtual Audio Driver14/03/2019

NvModuleTracker.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Module Tracker29/11/2019

nvhda64v.sysNVIDIANVIDIA Audio HDMI Driver (nForce Chip)09/06/2020

UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sysNVIDIAUSB Type C Port Controller Driver

none of those are the display driver. nviddmkm.sys (from memory) is the display driver.

Try running DDU and either get drivers from Nvidia or run windows update after exiting safe mode use older Nvidia drivers that may be more stable - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I can't tell what cause is for other 4 but since 2 happened in games, you could guess it might be the GPU drivers there as well.

thanks guys, ill try doing that now. so just run ddu then use geforce experience to get the latest drivers or should i use a direct download from nvidia's site.

Oct 1, 2020
Alright that appears to have fixed the problem. I reverted back to some drivers from a few months back and the game that bsods upon loading didnt BSOD so seems to be fixed. I was thinking of keeping this thread open just in case it occurs again as it sometimes happens mid game, unless im supposed to closed or mark the thread as solved now then ill just keep it open. I'll also report the issue to nvidia.

Thanks again so much for the help guys and I'll update you if anything changes.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was thinking of keeping this thread open just in case it occurs again as it sometimes happens mid game
Please keep it open, wait to see what happens as you use the PC normally for the next 48 hours, and then let us know. There is no rush to close threads, the important thing is getting it right. If in a couple days you get nothing and you're happy, then YOU can select best answer by clicking the trophy icon (see the note in my signature below on how-to) so YOU can mark the thread solved when you are happy.

(Just click the trophy icon next to Colif's most appropriate answer).

Reactions: GentleAU
Oct 1, 2020
Please keep it open, wait to see what happens as you use the PC normally for the next 48 hours, and then let us know. There is no rush to close threads, the important thing is getting it right. If in a couple days you get nothing and you're happy, then YOU can select best answer by clicking the trophy icon (see the note in my signature below on how-to) so YOU can mark the thread solved when you are happy.

(Just click the trophy icon next to Colif's most appropriate answer).

Ok sweet just wasn't sure of the thread etiquette on this forum haha.

Once again thanks heaps both of you :)

Oct 1, 2020
you can keep it open if you want to :)

Hey so uhhh its not fixed, actually got a chance to play a game properly and I'm BSODing again.

Here is a link to a google drive of the new BSODs
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ja8b8UdSs8K02I5hi5-pDrj3EaGsw6P5?usp=sharing

The game is Escape from Tarkov, i was in a raid for about 10 minutes then i get a BSOD, i quickly try and load back and within 1 minute of being back in i BSOD again.

I'll try an replicate it a bunch to get some more minidumps so we can try and figure out whats going on.

thanks again for the help

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is why i don't rush to close BSOD posts. You only know they are fixed when they stop... and 1 day isn't long enough time.

which Nvidia drivers did you get? from Nvidia or windows update? I am just guessing based on what last answer was. It could still be the new ones.

its possible you did have the nvidia driver running above when I said you didn't, we found an error in the program PC used to convert dumps and it was not reporting the drivers accurately.

Oct 1, 2020
that is why i don't rush to close BSOD posts. You only know they are fixed when they stop... and 1 day isn't long enough time.

which Nvidia drivers did you get? from Nvidia or windows update? I am just guessing based on what last answer was. It could still be the new ones.

its possible you did have the nvidia driver running above when I said you didn't, we found an error in the program PC used to convert dumps and it was not reporting the drivers accurately.

I used the driver from nvidia's website, did a clean install as well. The driver is 452.06 International Game Ready

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/v07zchqn/show/

Summary of findings:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDeferredReadySingleThread+acd )
--------------------
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiLockTransitionLeafPage+1fb )

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020

I thought you wanted me to run with the older ones, I'll run DDU in safe mode and download the latest ones and see how it goes

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, August isn't exactly old. What i said was either get drivers from Nvidia

or run windows update after exiting safe mode use older Nvidia drivers that may be more stable

Microsoft have older Nvidia drivers, from 6 or so months ago, they might be more reliable than the latest from Nvidia.

You right, you had said you were using drivers from a few months ago.