Mar 5, 2021
Hi, I recently upgraded my RAM to a higher capacity and faster one, but I started having Blue Screen problems after overclocking it.

My Specs:
MB: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 -1500X 3.5 Ghz
*OLD RAM: HyperX Fury (2x4 = 8Gb - 2,666Mhz) "HX426C15FB/4"
*NEW RAM: Corsair Vengance (2x8 = 16Gb - 3,200Mhz) "CMK16GX4M2B3200C16"
ROM: 1Tb HDD
Power: EVGA 450W

When I turned on the PC for the first time with the new memories, it turned on without any problem, but the BIOS configured them by default at 2,133Mhz speed, when I entered the BIOS and activated the XMP profile to run at 3,200Mhz, once again lit up without problems.

The problem came when I ran programs such as games or editing programs and the RAM started working, seconds* later BSoD errors began to appear, such as:

• irql_not_less_or_equal
  • driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
  • memory_management
  • unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

Then, I did a little research and I found that the XMP profile is not the best option for overclocking, that the best way was to do it manually, the timings are configured according to the information of "CPU-Z", the voltages, of the RAM and the VCORE SOC, etc, I restarted the PC and once again started without complications, I ran a game and it seemed that everything was going well, but after about 5 to 10 minutes* the BSoDs returned.

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and the first time it showed me a hardware error, then the other 20 or 30 times I ran this program it didn't show me any errors anymore.

I ran the Aidas64 program, with the 3,200Mhz configuration and the test stopped after a few seconds, for reasons of "hardware security" to avoid damage I suppose. I ran the program again but with the memory at 2,133Mhz and it did not show errors during the whole time that I kept the test (10 minutes)

Curious fact: In all the BIOS settings I tried, I always turned on the pc and had video, always!

--------- VERY IMPORTANT ---------
Below I detail everything that I have already tried to solve this, and that has obviously not worked for me. (maybe not in this order, but all this I tried, I hope I don't forget anything to mention)

• Before buying I confirmed that the RAM memory model is on the Gigabyte compatibility list, specifically for my MB.
  • I confirmed that the two memory modules did not have manufacturing defects, first I ran performance tests (Aida64) with both modules, then with only one, then with the other one only, then with both in different slots at 2,133Mhz and there were no problems, in all cases the pc turned on without problem.
  • Update everything that can be updated (everything was updated before making the change of the RAM memories and after the change check that everything was still updated):
+ BIOS version
+ Chipset version
+ From Windows Update
+ Device manager
+ GPU drivers
  • I ran the Aidas64 program, with the 2,133Mhz configuration during10 minutes without errors.
  • I ran the Aidas64 program, with the 3,200Mhz configuration during a few seconds because the test stopped.
  • I have run the following commands as administrator in the
symbol of the system (CMD):
+ sfc / scannow
+ chkdsk C: / f / r / x
+ DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth
  • Configure the speed and timings manually and using the XMP profile, without success in both cases.
  • Gigabyte has a desktop application from its APP Center where you can do pre-configured overclocking for both the CPU and the RAM, try this way with the RAM and this was the only time among all my tests where the pc gave video

In conclusion: Since this happened, I have worked with the memories at 2,133Mhz and they have not given me problems of any kind, which means that the memories are not defective, if not that the overclocking is not working as it should or is not properly configured. So I need help to correctly configure the overclocking of my RAM.

I appreciate very much in advance that you have read my problem and if you can contribute something I will be even more grateful, have a good day.

Solution
Both the motherboard and the CPU should support 2667MHz.
Motherboard
CPU - see System Memory

Anything over that is considered overclocking and, by definition, overclocking is working outside the guaranteed limits of the system. You may be able to do better if you do incremental steps rather than just jumping to 3200MHz. You already know 3200MHz doesn't work so try 2933MHz. If that isn't stable your combination will not overclock.
Motherboard
CPU - see System Memory

Anything over that is considered overclocking and, by definition, overclocking is working outside the guaranteed limits of the system. You may be able to do better if you do incremental steps rather than just jumping to 3200MHz. You already know 3200MHz doesn't work so try 2933MHz. If that isn't stable your combination will not overclock.

Reactions: Mohica M.
Solution
Mar 5, 2021
Motherboard
CPU - see System Memory

Yeah, you are right, how is it that I did not realize that, I only investigated if the MB supported that speed (in the same link that you copied me), but I did not realize the note that refers to the fact that it depends on the CPU to reach beyond 2,667Mhz

The MB if it supports 3,200Mhz, my CPU is the one that does not, I feel like a fool for not having seen this when I was supposed to do an investigation about which model to buy.
I'm not new to hardware and stuff, which makes me feel worse that I haven't noticed something as simple hahahaha whatever, thank you very much for your help.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
3200 is simply too much for a first gen chip, you'd need a literal golden sample to achieve that much speed and keep it stable on that particular CPU without overvolting and fine tuning every timing.

So, try with 2933MHz and run tests, don't go straight for 3000 as the memory controller will start acting funny with frequencies ending in zero

Reactions: Nemesia