[SOLVED] BSOD after changing RAM

unrealbanana

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
I recently bought new RAM sticks to upgrade my old PC. It posted fine but as soon it gets to the windows logo screen, the spinning loading dots freeze and a BSOD shows up. The error code in that BSOD is "system thread exception not handled". I looked it up online and it said I had to update my drivers. So I switched back to my old sticks, updated the drivers with an driver updater software, shut it down, installed the new sticks, and it still showed the BSOD. Then, I tried to go into safe mode, it went to "preparing automatic repair" then it showed another BSOD. I don't know any other ways that I can do to fix this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Solution
For starters, you could may be try running memtest86 on the machine. If the new RAM is consistently crashing your PC, they could be bad sticks.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the ram you purchased as an upgrade? You might want to also state the specs to your build. We will also need to know the version for your motherboard's BIOS. We advise people not use driver update software's if they are third party to avoid bricking your system.

unrealbanana

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Make and model of the ram you purchased as an upgrade? You might want to also state the specs to your build. We will also need to know the version for your motherboard's BIOS. We advise people not use driver update software's if they are third party to avoid bricking your system.

New RAM: 8GB V-Gen Platinum DDR3 1600MHz

Core i3 540
GT 710
I'm not sure about the motherboard but I think it's from Suntech H55 chipset
1TB HDD
240GB SSD
Corsair CV450

About the BIOS version, not sure which one it is, either
AMIBIOS 08.00.15 or
v02.67 American Megatrends

Jan 9, 2021
For starters, you could may be try running memtest86 on the machine. If the new RAM is consistently crashing your PC, they could be bad sticks.

Solution