BSOD after during windows logo on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zw32087

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Let me apologize in advance for the long post, however, I'm just trying to include as much information in this first post to expedite the process.

As the title says, halfway through the windows logo on boot, computer blue screens very quickly, to the point that I can't even read what is on the screen. This is a new build that I just completed today with all new components except for the HDD, which is from my old computer.

History:
Brand new build that has yet to work properly. However, I am attempting to recycle the HDD from my old computer. When I boot the computer up, the BIOS screen flashes and I can access the BIOS menu. However, when it goes past the BIOS flash screen, I'm presented with a Windows Error Recovery screen with two options: Launch Startup Repair (recommended) and Start Windows Normally. The exact text on the Windows Error Recovery screen is as follows

■"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)"

When selecting the first option, Startup Repair, it takes me to a windows screen with a box pop-up that says:
■"Startup Repair is checking your system for problems... If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. your computer might restart several times during this process. No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This might take several minutes."

I let this process go for two or three minutes at which point another box pops up that says:
"Do you want to restore your computer using System Repair? Startup Repair can try to restore your computer to an earlier point in time when it worked correctly. This repair will not change personal data, but it might remove some programs that were installed recently. You cannot undo this restoration."

I attempted this option only to have the computer sit at the attempted recovery screen for about 20 minutes (because there is no previous point where the computer worked as it's a new build)

When I select the second option, it simply does the exact same thing as before, gets halfway through the windows logo, freezes, and flashes a BSOD for about 1 second before rebooting.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K, 3.50 GHz, 8MB Cache, LGA1155, 77W
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
RAM: G.Skill Ares 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 1.50v (4 total)
CPU Cooler: Stock
Video Card: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660Ti
Power Supply: Corsair TX750M
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000 Gbytes (This is from my previous computer)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit already on HDD
Case: Corsair 400R
Other: 2 aftermarket Antec 120mm fans. One on side panel for intake, one on top for exhaust. However, only the top fan is connect currently as both side panels are not on the case

Steps Taken:
1. I covered this step in the History portion, however, just to briefly reiterate, I tried using the System Repair tool to detect and fix the issue, didn't work.
2. Attempted to use the System Repair tool to restore my system, didn't work.
3. Googled the problem and came across this guide, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems] and followed every step in the guide. None of which fixed the problem.
4. I tried googling how to stop the reboot after error screen using only the BIOS menu and couldn't find anything so I can't give a dump of the error screen as of now. The one issue I had with this guide is that I don't have a small motherboard speaker and could not go out and purchase one because of the time of day (stores closed by the time I got to that step).

Again, sorry about the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Long Post!

What was your older MB? and did you have the SATA configuration set to to IDE or AHCI on that board?
Your new ASUS P8V77 is set to AHCI by default (a change), so if the OS was set to IDE, it will crash.

Might go into your BIOS, and on the Advanced Menu, SATA configuration, change it to IDE mode to try.
If it boots up, then there is a registry edit so the OS it will load the AHCI drivers first.

If that's not it, you can change it back to ACHI in the BIOS.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Long Post!

What was your older MB? and did you have the SATA configuration set to to IDE or AHCI on that board?
Your new ASUS P8V77 is set to AHCI by default (a change), so if the OS was set to IDE, it will crash.

Might go into your BIOS, and on the Advanced Menu, SATA configuration, change it to IDE mode to try.
If it boots up, then there is a registry edit so the OS it will load the AHCI drivers first.

If that's not it, you can change it back to ACHI in the BIOS.

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
OK, Great - progress!

Your old MB was set to load the IDE drivers, not the AHCI drivers. You temporarily have the IDE drivers loaded on the new MB.

Now you need to make a registry edit to have Windows load the AHCI drivers that will play fair with your new high end ASUS MB.

Here is a link to the instruction page that tells you how to do that.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?69682-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

Make the change, then reboot, and go directly back into the BIOS. Back to the same SATA Config page, and change it back to AHCI. Save the change.

Now when you boot, you should be good to go, and not have to make any more changes, it should just boot fine.

zw32087

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Perfect, thank you very much for the assistance. I had to leave for class but when I get back home I will make the necessary fixes and post here with the results.

zw32087

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012

Followed the steps in the link you provided, very easy to follow and everything went very smoothly. Thanks again for all the help! I don't know how to mark this problem as solved, but it is now solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.