[SOLVED] BSOD after enabling XMP and increasing MHz without XMP.

opysium

Commendable
Jun 8, 2019
I have a GIGABYTE B450M S2H motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and a couple GSKILL 8GB Ripjaws V 3000MHz RAMs. When I enable XMP profile the RAMs working with 3000MHz and 1.35V but the Windows showing BSODs constantly. I tried to set my RAM frequency to 3000MHz by manually and disabled XMP, in this case Windows is not crashed but the RAMs also not working with 1.35V, they are working with 1.20V as normal. Is this a problem for my system? I've used the system with 3000MHz and 1.20V for a while and didn't crashed but now I returned to 2133MHz, I will set it to 3000MHz again if it's not dangerous.

Solution
No motherboard setting it to 1.35V and 3000 MHz, as gskill support said I set the RAM frequency to 2933 MHz while XMP enabled, Windows didn't crashed on boot this time. I didn't updated BIOS before so I will do some search before doing it.
I meant weird primary, secondary, tertiary timings, SOC voltage, stuff like that. If the motherboard tries to boot with weird timings or too low voltage, of course it's going to crash. The CPU can do 3000 Mhz, the RAM can. That just leaves motherboard. In my mind.

opysium

Commendable
Jun 8, 2019
Do you have the latest BIOS? Are modules in slots two and four away from the CPU?

With XMP enabled, manually set DRAM Frequency to 2933 to see if it can be more stable.

If same, test each module individually in second slot to see if one performs differently. If one does, send them in for RMA.
  1. I am not on the latest BIOS yet.
  2. There is only two RAM slot in this motherboard, both are used.
  3. I enabled XMP and set RAM frequency to 2933, the Windows opened without BSOD.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
XMP works with 1.35 v, in most cases. There are some fast RAM kits that use 1.4-1.45v. So, 1.35v is safe. And your kit should work without a problem. Ryzen 3600 can handle it, even 1000-series Ryzen can handle 3000 Mhz. Is motherboard setting some weird values?

opysium

Commendable
Jun 8, 2019
XMP works with 1.35 v, in most cases. There are some fast RAM kits that use 1.4-1.45v. So, 1.35v is safe. And your kit should work without a problem. Ryzen 3600 can handle it, even 1000-series Ryzen can handle 3000 Mhz. Is motherboard setting some weird values?
No motherboard setting it to 1.35V and 3000 MHz, as gskill support said I set the RAM frequency to 2933 MHz while XMP enabled, Windows didn't crashed on boot this time. I didn't updated BIOS before so I will do some search before doing it.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I meant weird primary, secondary, tertiary timings, SOC voltage, stuff like that. If the motherboard tries to boot with weird timings or too low voltage, of course it's going to crash. The CPU can do 3000 Mhz, the RAM can. That just leaves motherboard. In my mind.

Solution