Question BSOD after installing a new WD Black SN850X SSD ?

Jul 30, 2024
18+ Days Ago - My HDD (Toshiba PC P300 2TB) began ticking a month or two ago, which I assumed was an indication of drive failure, so I purchased a new WD Black SN850x 4TB SSD to replace it's spot of holding games and programs. This drive does not have my OS on it.

I think I got one day into using it and I kept running into BSOD after half an hour to an hour of playing certain games (i.e WW3, RDR2) while other games I played just fine (FO76, Destiny 2). I can also run a program or watch Netflix and I never have an issue. When the BSOD came up it would do it's thing and reboot but it showed a varity of codes such as —

MEMORY MANAGEMENT
KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE

This never happened to me up to the point I installed a the new SSD. I'm pretty confident I installed it correctly as well, made sure I was careful around everything. It fit right into my Mobo without an issue and the screw is tightened down but not torqued down. The Drive was detected, I gave it a name, I installed WD Dashboard and saw the tempature running at 114°F/46°C and that also confirmed it was being detected. Made sure it had the latest and greatest firmware then I started moving files over without an issue while some I just redownloaded.

Some fixes I've tried have been minimal in my opinion and for my experience. Regardless, I tried —

Verifying files via Steam
In CMD Prompt
sfc/ scannow
chkdsk /f /r /x
Update Driver via Device Manager (this also tells me the device is working properly)
Formatting the SSD
Updating BIOS
Updating Firmware via WD Dashboard

The last thing I tried doing was looking into my Memory Dump and Events to see more specifically why I'm crashing but after looking at line and line my eyes just started giving up and I went to sleep, I also wasn't sure I was looking in the right area. I wanted to reach out here for help but I'm also considering putting my original HDD back in to see if I even experience the issue anymore. I'm also being told it's likely I got a bad SSD, it is covered under warranty but I'm stubborn and want to know if it's actually defective before replacing it since the replacement will be a refurbished unit rather that a new one.

About 6 Days Ago - I was curious if my WD Green could be the culprit of these BSOD events I keep encountering so I removed it. For the past three days I've been able to play games with my PC without issues. Until today, I've gotten a few BSOD errors under Memory Managment.

Could this be because I only have one 4TB SSD card I'm running on now or my RAM or VRAM issue?

I ran mdsched.exe from windows+r to test RAM. After the diagnostic I looked into Event Viewer for the results and it stated that there was no errors detected.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Wasn't getting much help in another fourm I posted this in so I brought it here with greater hopes. I wouldn't say I'm a computer whiz but I try my best. I'm running out of ideas.

Specs -
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor​
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard​
Memory
GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory​
Storage
Western Digital Green 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive​
Storage
Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive​
Video Card