BSOD After Installing New Graphics Card

thechydude

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
... but I'm fairly sure it is not the graphics card.

I just recently built a new computer in January including everything new, except for the graphics card. My friend let me borrow his GTX 660ti so I could save a little money and buy the 970 that I wanted ultimately in my build. Fast forward to the first weekend in March when I finally buy my new graphics card. My computer starts BSOD randomly. SO my first thought is that either my drivers were bad, or a have a faulty card. I updated the graphics card drivers and It would still blue screen.

The reason I don't think it is my graphics card is I have been able to game on it for 8 hours straight, but I can spend 15 mins. to an hour web browsing and It will crash.

I have done some mem test and chkdsk to no avail. It works fine in safe mode with no crashes as far as I can tell.

Please dear wizard of the internet, I need some help. I have posted A link to a minidump file, and the specs to my PC. Please let me know anything I can do to help you help me. Thanks in advance.

-thechydude

Minidump:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_7sHUzU6gpeGplU3ZIQXZTeWc/view?usp=sharing

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR
CPU: Intel i5-9690K
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3-1866
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB 7200RPM
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix
PSU: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/thechydude/saved/#view=gNvmP6

Solution
looked at the other two bugcheck, they were memory corruptions. It can be some of the bad versions of drivers you have loaded or it might be related to a problem with your disk subsystem (as the other bugcheck indicated below)

I would make a new page file, maybe run a seatools on your disk drive. Your core windows files do not seem to be corrupted in memory. They look ok according to the debugger. If you can not find a cause of this failure, I would change the memory dump type to kernel, run cmd.exe as an admin
then run the command
verifier.exe /standard

reboot and run your system until you bugcheck again.
this will force windows to do more error checking on the the various drivers on your system. It will force a bugcheck if...

thechydude

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

You are correct It is a Kernel-Power 41.

Matt Dobe

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
What kind of BSOD error are you getting? Is it a service exception or something similar. Download "WhoCrashed" off the net. It will analyse your dumps and give you ideas on what may have caused it... helped me many times before.

Did you fully wipe all your old drivers before installing the new card? I would personally use something like driver sweeper and fully remove all your nvidia drivers. Make sure your old adapter is unistalled from device manager too.

-Check Whocrashed first and check for any nv errors in your event logs. (These are nvidia related).
-Remove all traces of Nvidia software and any drivers you have.
-Download latest driver.
-Uninstall all your display adapters.
-Reboot and let windows find the card. (may install a driver anyway).
-Install the newest over the top and reboot.

Test again.

Note: it is common to get graphics failures on the newer nvidia cards if you have shadowplay enabled and you have a old ethernet driver. (disable the streaming or update the ethernet driver, see below)

I looked at your memory dump and see a bugcheck unrelated to the graphics subsystem.
The process that bugchecked and shutdown is often the target of malware.
I would check the system files, then run a malwarebytes scan.
run cmd.exe as an admin, then run
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm any files are fixed.

This same error could also be caused by a driver that corrupts the data of other drivers. You have some suspect drivers:

I would also update this old ethernet driver:
PCAUSA Rawether NDIS 6 SPR Protocol Driver (AMD64)
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\PcaSp60.sys Tue Sep 07 11:27:24 2010
http://www.pcausa.com/products/default.html (or remove it if you don't need it)

update or remove this file:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\xusb21.sys Thu Aug 13 15:10:17 2009

it is for a xbox controller, this old version tends to corrupt memory and cause various driver bugchecks.

you also had a razer overlay driver, look for a update ( i have seen versions that corrupted memory)

- if you can not find a direct cause of this failure, run memtest86 on its own boot image to confirm your RAM is working ok.

thechydude

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
I apologize about the delayed response, but I reinstalled the GTX 970 as per the above instructions, and deleted the Ethernet & 360 controller drivers mentioned above. I also uninstalled all razer programs (coms & synapse) and deleted the drivers with it

I had a hard hang tonight while trying to play smite, but no blue screen to go with it. I will see if I can tell what WhoCrashed says tomorrow after work.

Again thanks for all the Suggestions.

Edit: grammar

thechydude

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
I did try the solutions above. Nothing is overclocked, My PSU should be more than enough. Temps are fine. I ran a memtest for several passes with no errors. I set the BIOS settings back to default.

I got a few more BSOD last night. I noticed that it seems to happen when my computer is 'idle'. It will blue screen once with a BCCODE 7a. Then it will blue screen immediately on or soon after log in a few times with BCCODE f4. Looking at both WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView, they highlight ntoskrnl.exe.

I am also attaching the minidumps from last night.

BCCODE 7a miniDump:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_7sHUzU6gpaEd0Tk5vMDctbE0/view?usp=sharing

BCCODe f4 minidumps:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_7sHUzU6gpWElGRkxHVG9yV2c/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_7sHUzU6gpUm50YXFpMm5xM0U/view?usp=sharing

looked at the other two bugcheck, they were memory corruptions. It can be some of the bad versions of drivers you have loaded or it might be related to a problem with your disk subsystem (as the other bugcheck indicated below)

I would make a new page file, maybe run a seatools on your disk drive. Your core windows files do not seem to be corrupted in memory. They look ok according to the debugger. If you can not find a cause of this failure, I would change the memory dump type to kernel, run cmd.exe as an admin
then run the command
verifier.exe /standard

reboot and run your system until you bugcheck again.
this will force windows to do more error checking on the the various drivers on your system. It will force a bugcheck if it detects a problem. Use verifier.exe /reset
to turn off this error checking.

-----------------
looking at the first bugcheck 0x7a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
the suberror code was 0xC000000E A device which does not exist was specified.
DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

I would check the cables, maybe change the sata port that the disk is using, maybe put the cables on the primary controller, enable hotswapping in BIOS if you bios has that option.

I would also, unhide pagefile.sys, turn off all virutual memory, reboot and rename the pagefile.sys to pagefile.bad, turn on virutal memory so that it creates a new pagefile.sys but does not use the same sectors as the old version. (just in case your old pagefile was on a bad sector on your hard drive)

Solution