BSOD After Installing Windows 10 on my Samsung 970 EVO m.2 PCIe SSD

Jun 14, 2018
Hey guys, I just made a clean install of windows on my Samsung 970 EVO. Everything works perfectly except I get a blue screen of death about every 2 hours. I ran a dskchk /r in command prompt with no issues and here is my "WhoCrashed" error dump:

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Wed 6/13/2018 11:51:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061318-5640-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x198330)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF8E8000000000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8013B299AD0)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 6/13/2018 11:51:18 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: storport.sys (storport!memset+0x1460)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF8E8000000000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8013B299AD0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\storport.sys
description: Microsoft Storage Port Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Wed 6/13/2018 10:28:16 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061318-5484-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF97CBC0000000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF803C7E92AD0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 6/13/2018 10:08:25 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061318-5531-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFD80000000000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80241C8FAD0)

On Wed 6/13/2018 9:05:05 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061318-5281-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF8A8000000000, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF803CB313AD0)

Jun 14, 2018

Forgot to talk more about the system. It's an Alienware Aurora R6 with the following specs:

i7-7700
GTX 1080
16GB RAM
2TB HDD

I just recently added the m.2 PCIe SSD and installed windows 10 on it via USB boot disk. Also BIOS is on the latest update as are all drivers. The only issue is I cannot update the Samsung SSD drivers. I believe this is due to booting on RAID rather than AHCI, but isn't AHCI a huge bottleneck for an m.2 PCIe SSD?

Jun 14, 2018

I installed windows without touching any BIOS or settings. I later checked BIOS to find RAID is set to on. (Strangely enough it says lists RAID under SATA settings, the SSD is hooked up via m.2 slot not a SATA cable) The only other option in that menu is AHCI.

Jun 14, 2018

I am unable to boot under AHCI mode. If I reinstall under AHCI mode will it slow down my SSD's speed?

Jun 14, 2018

Not a whole lot, just that it's a way to handle multiple tasks and was designed for older HDD's rather than SSD's. Where as NVMe was designed for SSD's. I don't remember seeing an option for NVMe in my BIOS. But the AHCI and RAID were under SATA controls...my SSD is in the m.2 PCIe slot...I do have a HDD (with no OS) connected to SATA.

Mar 22, 2019
Registered just to post to this. Had the exact same problem. I've had maybe 4 BSODS today. Seems to have found a solution - https://dennissutantoblog.wordpress...xps-95509560-optimizing-your-toshiba-nvme-ssd. The dude optimized his existing Toshiba by switching to AHCI, but the steps are the same.

You gotta switch Raid to AHCI in bios, but due to Windows quirks, it won't boot if you simply switch. You need to preinstall AHCI drivers or let windows do it from Safe Mode. As for these steps, took me 5 minutes:

1. First, we need to switch the controller from RAID to AHCI mode. We need to Windows to boot into safe mode after doing this switch, so it will automatically correct its boot parameters. To do this, open your Command Prompt (Admin) and type the following command – bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
  2. Restart and enter the BIOS by holding F2 during boot.
  3. On the BIOS menu, go to System Configuration - SATA Operation - AHCI - Apply - Exit. Your computer will then enter the safe mode.
  4. Once your computer finishes booting into safe mode, open Command Prompt (Admin) once again and type the command below. This will trigger your computer to go back to normal boot mode – bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
  5. Reboot the laptop proceed to login like usual. The controller is now in AHCI mode, running the generic Microsoft driver. If you want to update the driver manually (I couldn't find one), then:
  6. 6. Once you finish downloading and extracting the driver, open your Device Manager, then:
  • Storage Controllers - Standard NVM Express Controller
  • Right-click - Update Driver Software
  • "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • "Have Disk.." - "(extracted driver zip folder)\x64\ocznvme.inf"
  • Select your Driver - Next - Yes (on the warning dialog) - Restart
That is it! You should now be up and running with the controller in AHCI mode and using the driver of your choice.

I couldn't find the actual driver, so I downloaded Samsungs NVMe drivers from their website and their Magic app. Then it appeared in the Device Manager under Storage Controllers, but the actual disk EVO 970 still says it's running the 2006 Microsoft driver. Trying to find out if that's an issue right now.