BSOD After Move to New Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2013
I apologise if this has been asked and answered previously; I've been browsing the internet, including this forum, for a day or so with little success.

So: I have a Packard Bell iXtreme i6525. I decided to upgrade, and to that end bought a Gigabyte GTX760, a Corsair Carbide 300R case, and a Corsair CX500 PSU. The old case had a 'PANEL' cable which connected the power button to the motherboard; the new case merely has a Power SW cable, which doesn't seem to do anything when placed on the motherboard in the supposed correct place, so instead I'm kickstarting the computer using the touch-screwdriver-to-pins trick. I also have a couple of other cables floating around in the new case because I can't find a place to put them. Before anyone mentions it - I followed the diagram on the motherboard which shows where to put the Power/Reset SW cables, and it didn't do anything. This paragraph isn't the issue, but it might be a cause so I'm listing information.

At the moment, my new case has all the components from the old build in (apart from the PSU, which is the new Corsair) - this is because I left the old GPU (GT420) in the build so I could browse the net and download the appropriate GTX760 driver, shut down, switch card, restart, etc. This is where the issue comes in:

When booting up and selecting Windows 7 in my GRUB list, it loads fine up until the Windows icon has finished loading; however, it then blue screens with title line 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO', or as best as I could read. However, if I boot it in Ubuntu, the system is perfectly stable. I ran startup repair and had a look at the information log, it apparently found one root cause which is as follows:

"Root cause found:

Unknown bugcheck: bugcheck a. Parameters = 0x18, 0x2, 0x0, 0xfffff800030b72ac.

Repair action: System Restore
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time taken = 0 ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time taken = 555598 ms"

I'm pretty sure it's not a RAM error, as memtest86+ did four passes and detected no errors, and Ubuntu boots and runs fine. Any help would be much appreciated; thank you.

Earl

You know that little error there Irq not less or equal too.

It is the cause of a driver loading and failing to talk from the cpu to the device in question.

Now did you remove the old Nvidia driver from the system when the the GT 420 card was in ?

Did you?

If you swapped out the card and never uninstalled the old driver there is the problem.

You see the old driver and the old card may of set up with an Irq number to talk between the cpu and the graphics card.

So the message Irq not less or equal too means the driver could not talk to the device.

The old driver will not support a Gtx 760 will it ?
And the Irq of the 760 card will be different from the Gt 420 card.
There we go. Give it a try.

Nov 6, 2013
I didn't uninstall the GT420 driver from either OS. I did try to install the GTX760 driver on Ubuntu, but it failed - I can't quite remember why. Pressing F8 to get it to boot in safe mode didn't work yesterday, but no doubt I've just got the wrong key - I'll try it when I get back from uni later.

Nov 6, 2013
Update: Windows blue screens after the 'Starting Windows' screen with the Windows logo, after attempting to boot in safe mode, 'boot using last good configuration', and safe mode with networking, all with the same 'IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS' message. The parameters on the blue screen look vaguely different - does this help?

Earl

Status
Not open for further replies.