Question BSOD after new RAM install

Feb 6, 2020
Hi! So I decided to upgrade my dear old Toshiba from 2Gb of RAM to 4Gb. I did my research fairly well(but obviously not well enough), but in the end it is not working. So long story short is that the first time I put the memory in and started the computer I got a BSOD: System thread exception not handled error. Tried to restart, still the same. Then put the old RAM back in and all good. Did the same process over again a few times(switching between RAMs) and then got again got BSOD, but different: Kernel mode heap corruption error. Next time it would just turn on with black screen and turn itself off after a few seconds. Also few of the times it would start doing automatic repair(black screen with windows logo and automatic repair written under it), but it would freeze there. I have read the FAQs here, googled everything I can and tried to understand what is the problem, but it is beyond my mind atm I guess. Anyways here are the specs:

Also I checked the BIOS and it should be up to date (According to Toshiba Service Station at least. I couldn't find anything from Toshiba's website because I didn't find my laptop's model from there)

Toshiba Satellite L670-1H0 (PSK3AE-05F00TG3)
Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 18363)

And this is what Crucial recommended me and what I based my decision off to buy Kingston 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L CL11 SODIMM KCP3L16SS8/4
The only thing that I can think of is the different voltage, but even Crucial recommended sticks with DDRL, so I am in a dead end.

Feb 6, 2020
Feb 6, 2020
Thank you for the answer! But the thing is that my laptop model isn't even available on the Kingston website, so I can not use the memory finder over there.
And also, does anybody know if the Crucial's recommended sticks would work 100% or not, because I thought I bought the same RAM that they recommended(just different brand). That is what is confusing me the most.

cin19

Titan
If crucial says the RAM works with your laptop, it should work 99.9%, but it maybe DOA too.

When you look at them, the kingston one was made with 8 chips, and the crucial was made with 4 chips, that means they are not the same even they have the same speed.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020
If crucial says the RAM works with your laptop, it should work 99.9%, but it maybe DOA too.

When you look at them, the kingston one was made with 8 chips, and the crucial was made with 4 chips, that means they are not the same even they have the same speed.
Allright, smarter again, thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS