BSOD After Overclocking G3258 to 4.4 GHz?

KingKonchu

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Before starting:
MoBo: Gigabyte H81M-H

So, a few weeks ago I built a cheap rig for CSGO and whatever. It ran pretty well already, but when I built it I had the idea of overclocking in mind so I felt like I needed to try. I booted up to BIOS and set the voltage to auto and the core clock ratio to 44. After saving and exiting I get the BSOD, change the multiplier back to 32, and revert the system. Any tips? Thanks!

Solution
slower multipliers increments, and manual voltages, step by step
i suggest you watch a couple of overclocking videos to get a an idea of how, and importantly how much,

if it doesnt boot to windows you likely dont have proper voltage for your cpu and need to either lower your multiplier or increase your voltage
every CPU voltage varies, but all CPU have a max voltage before "puff" dead

auto voltage is usually a very very bad idea on overclocks

then when you actually manage to boot to windows.. you need to stress test your system and monitor your hardware with HWmonitor
get Realbench, Aida64 and OCCT, then run some tests seperately to test if clock is stable
personally i use Realbench for 15min, aida64 for 15min, watch temperatures...

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
slower multipliers increments, and manual voltages, step by step
i suggest you watch a couple of overclocking videos to get a an idea of how, and importantly how much,

if it doesnt boot to windows you likely dont have proper voltage for your cpu and need to either lower your multiplier or increase your voltage
every CPU voltage varies, but all CPU have a max voltage before "puff" dead

auto voltage is usually a very very bad idea on overclocks

then when you actually manage to boot to windows.. you need to stress test your system and monitor your hardware with HWmonitor
get Realbench, Aida64 and OCCT, then run some tests seperately to test if clock is stable
personally i use Realbench for 15min, aida64 for 15min, watch temperatures, and if still no crash i use aida64+Realbench at same time for 30min and no crash, good, check temperatures.
if temperatures are safe, CPU core temp no higher than max 80c at a sustained peak spike, aim for a max 75c at 100% load, steady sustained load temp ,
realbench longer, like 1-2hours, and when you go to bed start aida64 and leave it running over night
if you get up next day and its still alive congrats

Solution

iamacow

Admirable

The highest you want. even at 4.8ghz it won't go above 70c with good cooling.

CPU Voltage:
1.20v (Stock Cooler) (1.325v Max)*
*1.4v will work, but it's not recommend for long term

CPU Ring Voltage
1.2v
System Agent Voltage
1.25v
I/O Analog Voltage
1.25v
I/O Digital Voltage
1.25v
CPU TJMax
N/A

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

like i said, all chips are different so you could have a real bad one and not get much, but 4.0Ghz should definitely be possible for most as a starting place
4.4 was prob a bit optimistic tbh tho ;) start at 4.0 then slooooowly dial it up from there