BSOD after overclocking

Branimir

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

I overclocked my computer that is rather old but still works great, all the parts work normal, they were never exposed to great temperatures so they are all physically intact (none of the boards changed its shape because of the generated heat), HDD was changed few months ago, power supply is rather new and works properly, video card was bought a few years ago so that leaves only CPU and motherboard which were bought in 2006 or 2007 but beside few capacitors that were changed it works good.

Configuration
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945P-S3
CPU: Intel 2140 dual core 1.6GHz
Graphics card: Nvidia gt610 1GB
RAM: 2 sticks DDRII each 1GB and 667 MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB

Windows 7 Ultimate with all the drivers updated to the latest releases

So i overclocked it by raising the frequency a bit by bit and it worked great it passed stress tests, it worked with most of the games until i got to 240 when it displayed BSOD so i increased the voltage to the 1.5V (step by step) but all the time it kept displaying BSOD. I then started lowering the frequency and even at 201 it showed BSOD so the conclusion is that now if i increase it even by 1 Mhz it would fail to pass the test but on stock frequency (200) it works properly. Temperatures were all stable but it looked to me like Northbridge generated to much heat so i changed thermal paste (which was never changed) and now the temperatures are stable.

When i overclock it all works great in normal use i even left it working whole night and nothing happened and when i start playing a game it will work great for about a half an hour and then BSOD appears.

My question is what could be the problem, could it be the heat from the northbridge or should i check the power supply again?

Solution
That's a terrible PSU and not suitable for overclocking at all.

My advice is to stop overclocking and upgrade your components if you're after a better gaming experience.

Branimir

Commendable
May 2, 2016

LC-Power 500W LC500H-12 V2.2 12CM FAN, bought it after stock PSU died from overheating (chinese PSU which came with the pc).

Branimir

Commendable
May 2, 2016

That pc was just laying around since i have a better one so i figured i try some things with it. Thanks for the help.