[SOLVED] BSOD after Processor Upgrade? (Phenom II X2 555 - Phenom II X6 1055)

Nov 12, 2018
I have an assembled computer that I have used since a few years ago without problems.

a few weeks ago, just because of curiosity, I replaced my Phenom II X2 555 with Phenom II X6 1055 (used).

Shortly after that I started experiencing BSOD. That happens especially when I play games, even games that I can play before without problems when I still use Phenom II X2 555.

I have taken several actions to correct this problem. I have upgraded my drivers. I tried Windows Resource Protection, but according to WRP there was no problem there. I am currently preparing to do clean install windows, but I myself am not sure whether this will solve the problem. I myself am not an expert in handling computers.

So, what should I do? Is this a problem with my AMD Phenom II X6 1055? or other? This is the specification of my current computer:
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055
- Gigabyte 880gm ud2h motherboard
- 8 GB RAM, Corsair (2x4)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
- PSU Corsair TX 650
- ASUS EAH 5750 Formula

Thank You

Nov 12, 2018

Hello, Obakasama

thank you for the response. My motherboard uses revision 1.4. (rev. 1.4.). As I recall, when I was still using Phenom II X2 555, I had updated my BIOS with the latest from Gigabyte (F8). Apparently, this "F8" is the only update related to 880gm for any revision.

And, before this, every time I rebooted my computer, on the home screen before the bios there was always writing: GA - 880GM-UD2H F8. Isn't "F8" in this series referring to the BIOS code? The newest and only one from Gigabyte?

I could be wrong, though.

So, do I still need to try to update it again?

I would use a phone camera to grab a picture of that screen to see what it states. I'm thinking of the possibility of it being press F8 to enter BIOS.

A few other things to consider: have you configured Windows to create a dump file?
https://mcci.com/support/guides/enable-kernel-memory-dumps/
This would help to troubleshoot the blue screen crashes. Event viewer can also provide some clues.

Are the blue screens only when you game? (Half a suspicion of a power issue.) Many (not all) blue screens are usually driver or RAM related in nature.

Nov 12, 2018

Yes, I configure Windows to create a dump file. And indeed there are actually several dump files generated by Windows every time a BSOD occurs. As For Event viewer, I use it too, and indeed there are also reports related to BSOD that I experienced. But, maybe because I don't really understand what I'm seeing, the data in Event Viewer doesn't help me much.

Since replacing Phenom II X2 555 with Phenon II X6 1055 BSOD only occurs when I play games. It never happened to other activities such as watching movies, listening to music, browsing etc.

As for the PSU, I currently use Corsair VS 550. Based on my calculations, it should be enough for my needs, either using the Phenom II X2 555 or Phenom II X6 1055.

Right now I'm back using my Phenom II X2 555, and so far without problems.

I was working out of town for the next few days, but planning to solve the problem of my Phenom II X6 1055 again when I returned home.

Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me solve this problem.

one more thing, the "F8" I mentioned earlier seems to be referring to the BIOS. Because to enter the BIOS I use the "delete" button.

At least this clears up the F8 thing.

The only other thing I can think of checking would be the RAM itself (using Memtest for 8 runs). I err on this because your system sounds stable using your old CPU; if the RAM is at fault I'd expect to occur even with the old CPU.

I would imagine if the crashes are driver related then a clean installation of Windows should resolve it. Some do recommend reinstalling Windows when upgrading a CPU, though it does seem rarer for there to be issues.

I don't know how to read dump files personally, but there are a few on the forums who do. I would suggest posting those and see if they can identify the source of the blue screen crashes.

Nov 12, 2018

sounds good to me, I also plan to do the memtest this weekend. And maybe I will find an answer from there, whether it is related to RAM or other damage.

I will also quote the answer from the Gigabyte technician that I contacted regarding this issue:

This model does support Phenom X6 1055. You need to do "Load Optimized Defaults" every time, after changing a new CPU. After then, you can change the other BIOS settings.

You can try a higher wattage of power supply. You can try to disable the XMP profile.

Thank you for the suggestions that you have provided so far. I will update this with the results of my memtest, so that it might be used as reference material for friends who experience the same problem.