[SOLVED] BSOD after return from sleep Win 10 / 64 bit / v2004 update

Adamsan11

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
All,

Aorus x570 Pro Wifi (I believe V1.0 hardware), running BIOS F11
Ryzen 3800X -- stock, no overclocking or anything

I'm about 80% done with a new PC migration. The Mobo / CPU / RAM / PSU are a few months old while the GPU / drives / case / fans are considerably older. Everything was running perfectly in Windows 10 v1909.

Since the v2004 update, I'm getting slammed with a lot of BSOD within 15 seconds of wakeup from sleep. Errors include:

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED -- always reports tcpip.sys is the culprit​
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE​
DRVR IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL​

Actions taken so far have been very simple:

Updated the chipset drivers as AMD appears to have a windows 10 version-specific driver for v2004​
Checked BIOS revisions at Aorus/Gigabyte and I'm seeing a host of newer revisions, but (a) none of the newer ones speak to v2004 and (b) I don't know which is considered the most recent 'stable' version. I've left things as is at F11 with the bios for now.​
Given the tcpip.sys getting flagged, I verified the network adaptor drivers are current. I have not forced any new drivers -- I've just had Windows look for newer ones, but they came back as current)​
But clearly I need to do more. Based on the error codes I'm seeing, am I just dealing with an older driver problem here, or are there multiple areas of inquiry I need to be doing? Is there a systematic way to attack this?

Also, given that stability seems perfect other than in returning from sleep, is there something I can tweak in Windows or the BIOS in sleep/wake settings that might alleviate this? (Beyond defeating sleep altogether, I mean.)
Thanks for the help,
A

Solution
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Since i have that motherboard, I know it has Intel wifi & lan drivers. with tcpip.sys I too would have jumped to the conclusion it was lan drivers. Do you use any 3rd party Anti virus programs?

I have version F20 installed since I have a 3600XT, I hadn't noticed the new bios versions. I am not sure what the latest one adds. One mentions ram which could...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Since i have that motherboard, I know it has Intel wifi & lan drivers. with tcpip.sys I too would have jumped to the conclusion it was lan drivers. Do you use any 3rd party Anti virus programs?

I have version F20 installed since I have a 3600XT, I hadn't noticed the new bios versions. I am not sure what the latest one adds. One mentions ram which could be reason for the errors. latest chipset drivers seem to be dated between F21 & F22

updating bios when you have bsod could fix them.

I don't use sleep, or hibernate, especially on a PC with an NVME.

Reactions: Adamsan11
Solution

Adamsan11

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Strangely, undoing the v2004 update -- at least two of the three elements of the update that it allowed me to walk back -- seems to have worked.

The computer rebooted and repaired the install (probably reinstalling the rest of the v2004 update). When I logged back in, v2004 was still in place... but it appears that the BSODs from wakeup have abated.

Too soon to call this a solved issue. I'll monitor this for a few days and see if I am indeed out of the woods. If not, I'll share the minidump.

- A

Adamsan11

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
It has been about a week and zero BSOD of any sort since the attempted walk back of v2004.

I think I'm out of the woods. Hope this experience will help others.

- A