[SOLVED] BSOD after upgrading to Win10

May 6, 2019
My Win 7 desktop was stable for 3 years, I upgraded it to Win 10 1809 keeping softwares and user settings. After some crashes and BSOD and installing new drivers it is working for a week.
Then I uninstalled Office 2016 and tried to install Office 2019, it encounters BSOD in the middle of installation with different error code every time.
I tried to upgrade Win 10 to 1903 MSDN, again BSOD after starting installation.

Please help me out.

CPU: AMD FX8350 4GHz, 8 core
MB: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM: 8 GB 1666 DDR3
GPU: Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
SDD: 256GB WD
HDD: 1x 1TB, 1x 2TB WD

Solution
wof.sys's description is "Windows Overlay Filter" or Windows FIle System Filter driver... its what was blamed but its doubtful it was actual cause, just trying to figure out whats its used for. That might help figure out what might be cause.

I mean, any driver before JUly 2015 could be to blame and you have 12 of those.

these are too old:
May 08 2007xpc4drvr.sysXilinx PC4 driver (Xilinx)
May 19 2009c2scsi64.sysRoxio Virtual SCSI Miniport AMD 64 driver (Sonic Solutions)
Aug 31 2010windrvr6.sysWinDriver Device driver (Jungo)
these aren't much better
Apr 24 2012PxHlpa64.sysSonic CD/DVD...

Colif

Win 11 Master
how did you get 1903? its not on the MIcrosoft website yet? did you get it via insider program?

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

its probably an old driver, even though you updated to latest, doesn't mean its a new driver. especially on an old motherboard.

Reactions: Hossein.g

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/QPT6.html

File information:050619-12859-01.dmp (May 6 2019 - 03:35:53)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:Wof.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

Comment: 10 new drivers that I've never seen before. I think I got them all described properly.

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

Still same day for me. Is it true that people on the other side of the world live upside down?

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 6, 2019
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/QPT6.html

File information:050619-12859-01.dmp (May 6 2019 - 03:35:53)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:Wof.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

Comment: 10 new drivers that I've never seen before. I think I got them all described properly.

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

Still same day for me. Is it true that people on the other side of the world live upside down?

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.
Thank you gardenman for the analysis.
I have to emphasis that the error code is not consistant and although BSOD occures at a specific progress percentage of Office installation, I got different error code each time.

The last BIOS update available for this Mainboard already applied to the system.
I also have to say that we just upgraded a similar system (same M/B, CPU, RAM, except GPU, different softwares installed) to Win 10 with no problem, so I do not think it is a mainboard or BIOS compatibility issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wof.sys's description is "Windows Overlay Filter" or Windows FIle System Filter driver... its what was blamed but its doubtful it was actual cause, just trying to figure out whats its used for. That might help figure out what might be cause.

these are too old:
May 19 2009c2scsi64.sysRoxio Virtual SCSI Miniport AMD 64 driver (Sonic Solutions)
these aren't much better
Apr 24 2012PxHlpa64.sysSonic CD/DVD driver
Jun 01 2012Sahdad64.sysDisk Filter Driver (Sonic Solutions)
Jun 01 2012Saibad64.sysDisk Filter driver (Sonic Solutions)
I left a few out as AMD drivers likely not been changed.
npf.sys might be okay, probably helps to check - think its part of vpn software
un 01 2012SaibVdAd64.sysFileDisk Virtual Disk driver (Corel Corporation)
Feb 28 2013npf.sysNetGroup Packet Filter driver, a component of WinPCap by Riverbed

fixing all those could fix BSOD, it would be a starting place anyway. If it still occurs, we can run a test

Solution
May 6, 2019

these are too old:
these aren't much better
Feb 28 2013npf.sysNetGroup Packet Filter driver, a component of WinPCap by Riverbed

fixing all those could fix BSOD, it would be a starting place anyway. If it still occurs, we can run a test
Thank you, I try to update or uninstall those you mentioned and see what happens.

May 6, 2019

these are too old:
these aren't much better

Hello Colif,
I checked the driver list and uninstalled some applications, mainly the Roxio NXT Pro from Corel.
Still could not install the office but this time could upgrade Windows 10 to 1903, after that Office installation ran smoothly.

Thank you and gardenman for your help.
With regards,
Hossein.g