Question BSOD (again) usually IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hey

I know this is probably going to find itself lost in a wave of people posting similar threads. Trust me- i have not been lazy, i have read all of these threads and still found no solution. I've also posted threads on here regarding the same issue but still the problem has persisted on and off for the best part of a year.

I will get a BSOD on average 1 x a day, however sometimes i wont see it for 3 days, a week, who knows at this point, and sometimes i will get 2 or 3 in a day. As someone who uses his PC for gaming and work, both of my uses are extremely impacted by this.

I will attached below a minidump of my most recent one, along with some screenshots that might help (?). For reference heres a list of the things i have tried to fix the problem:
Checked RAM with memtest
Done windows Diagnostic
Downloaded "BlueScreenView" to look further into it
Updated all my drivers- the ones windows said needed updating and i downloaded a third party software to find any outdated drivers
Updated my BIOS to most recent (still maybe 4 years old but was the closest)
Performed a full system reset to factory

I took my PC to a repair shop once and they didnt find an issue, which has made me speculate that it might be to do with one of my peripherals or maybe a faulty USB driver. I use a:
Razer Blackwidow Keyboard
Logitech G502 Mouse (had issues before i had this mouse)
Blue Yeti Blackout Microphone
DT 990 Pro Headphones

I really hope someone can help me because i honestly dont know what else to do. I am looking to upgrade my PC as most parts of it are old now. If there was a part that was likely to be the issue i would consider just swapping it out for an upgrade in the summer.

The Below DB link has a minidump and a few screengrabs, hope someone out there has the solution.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l306hkai4lkd9dm/AAC0kJ6bJLHlYBKjow6w4BHOa?dl=0

Thanks in advance
Jack

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l306hkai4lkd9dm/AAC0kJ6bJLHlYBKjow6w4BHOa?dl=0

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I have started to test the RAM 1 by 1, currently done 2 of them but need to head out so will finish the rest by tomorrow (no errors so far). Only complication being i can only run 4 passes not the 8 that was mentioned.

Colif i do have a webcam, however it is not plugged in and hasnt been for some time. The model is a logitech C920. I will try to download AutoRuns and LiveUpdate to see if they make a difference, aswell as trying to update the Audio drivers.

Will get back to you if i have any progress or changes.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Another thing- Could it be worth Redownloading IntelExtremeUtility so that i can run a program such as Iobit to Uninstall it properly. Or do you think then im just getting myself into a rabbithole of problems?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I have started to test the RAM 1 by 1, currently done 2 of them but need to head out so will finish the rest by tomorrow (no errors so far). Only complication being i can only run 4 passes not the 8 that was mentioned.

The default is 4, you should be able to increase it. You are 2nd person in recent weeks to say it only allows 4 but their website has no such restriction mentioned on the free version.

Another thing- Could it be worth Redownloading IntelExtremeUtility so that i can run a program such as Iobit to Uninstall it properly. Or do you think then im just getting myself into a rabbithole of problems?

if you installed it again, you could use its uninstaller instead if the iobit one.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Thats strange, I went into the settings and found the Pass number which was default at 4 like you say, i put 8 in and it said to me Free Version is limited to 4. Maybe its something new theyve implemented? I just got LiveUpdate and it had 2x MB Driver updates so i did those and turned off XTU on the AutoRuns. Fingers crossed this is the golden ticket :]

Colif

Win 11 Master
Also be aware that there is MemTest86 (the original version) and the MemTest86+ fork (which is not being maintained at the moment). They aren't the same software.

The current MemTest86 V7 release auto-terminates after 4 passes. It is a good idea to do at least 2 passes, as the first pass is a quicker less intense pass. This was a design choice done with the goal of picking up gross errors faster.

https://superuser.com/questions/1354648/when-does-memtest86-stop

seems it would stop after 4 anyway. I can see a few others stating it only allows 4 but I can't find anything saying that on memtest86 website.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hey All,

Things had been going fine the last few days, so i hoped i was in the clear. Got a new BSOD this afternoon however, and painfully it didnt leave a dump file. I made a note of the Error code however, in case that is of any help:

nvlddmkm.sys attempted_write_to_readonly

Any ideas?

It related to gtx960, either the driver or the GPU, or the PSU.
1) Try to use DDU uninstall the GPU driver in safe mode, then reinstall the driver.
DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

2) Go into the BIOS, you can check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V in the pc health monitor section or the hardware monitor section, if one of these voltages is not within +/-5%, the PSU has problem. eg +3.3V it should be within +3.1V to +3.46V.

3) Try other GPU if you had, or use onboard iGPU to test the PC.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Ok thanks i will try those things. I used DDU before, I think it was just to uninstall NVIDIA drivers?

I will also check the voltages in BIOS although i dont think i fully understand what you mean but im sure it will make sense when i see it.

And in reply to your 3rd point i really have no idea what you mean lol could you give me a bit more detail on how to do that?

I got another BSOD- it seems to link back to USB issues which makes me think again this is all related to one of my peripherals, will link the DMP, i feel like theres so many things its saying it could be that it might be worth looking to upgrade certain parts of my PC or even looking to build a new one. This is about 3 years old and i havent really changed anything about it so maybe its time? Obviously my preference would be to fix this one but i dont want to try and upgrade a certain part of it- say the graphics card and still be getting the BSOD.

Anyway, new BSOD is linked below. Thanks again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wug47lsh4nmkfja/051619-5734-01.dmp?dl=0

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/hXs1.html

File information:051619-5734-01.dmp (May 16 2019 - 18:11:14)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hey all,

Just finished testing the final bit of RAM- no errors. So was putting all the RAM back in so that I could try using this driver verifier but now when I boot my pc. At first, it would turn on and then power off, so I figured I did something wrong with the RAM and one looked maybe not as flush as the rest so I took it out and put it back in (making sure to hear the clicks), and powered it on again. Now it stays powered on but nothing is showing up on my monitors. Any ideas? Feel like A never ending list of problems :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not much of a hardware guy, i was hoping your motherboard would have an led or something that showed error codes - but manual shows it doesn't. It probably has beep codes but i expect you don't have a case speaker, most people don't.

CIN might be better help for you in that regard.

did you unplug PC when you removed ram sticks?
what power supply do you have?

might need to strip pc down to bare essentials, - CPU, motherboard, boot drive, run monitor off motherboard video out, 1 ram stick. see if it starts then.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hey! I contacted the people who i bought it from, they said to remove a small battery on the back to flush the BIOS, it was behind the Graphics Card so i took that out and bingo were back online. Never thought id be happy to be back at this intermitent BSOD stage lol . Ok next step im going to run Driver Verifier like you said, tad nervous as last time i did this i bricked my machine and got in a loop so i will follow your instructions to the T

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
I ordered a USB card and it will come tomorrow so i can just try this Verifier then. In the meantime i had a question, i looked at the underside of my graphics card and one fan has clearly been in use- some dust (that i cleared out) and the other one looks brand new, making me think one fan has never turned on. I asked NVIDIA about this and they said to download MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision to control fan speed. On inspection these both appear to be overclocking software, should i still download them?

I ordered a USB card and it will come tomorrow
When your PC had problem, just use minimum hardware to troubleshoot, use the USB2.0 ports (rear).
Recommend to use onboard iGPU from the i7 4790K ( remove the gtx960), use regular keyboard/mice if you had, disconnect any USB device too, one stick RAM to test run your PC.

One more, what PSU did you have?

i looked at the underside of my graphics card and one fan has clearly been in use- some dust (that i cleared out) and the other one looks brand new, making me think one fan has never turned on.
The to fans should work even you didn't use any software to control the fans speed. If one of them do not work, the GPU maybe overheat, then the PC will reboot during the games or other gpu intensive programs. You should open the case while you run the PC, then check the GPU fan to see they will spin or not.

Also you can use MSI afterburner or evga precision to monitor the gpu temp. For your gtx960, the temp should be around 70-80C, or maybe little bit up to 90C because I don't know what exactly gpu you had.

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply Unit - Black
thats my PSU, i will try what you said about using the minimum, but for Driver Verifier would i want all my things plugged in so i can see what causes the crash?

I will download MSI Afterburner now to monitor the temp thanks

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Hey all, just an update. I attempted the Driver Verifier step as the USB stick i ordered came.

Unfortunately it got itself in a boot loop, giving the Error code Driver_verfifier_detected_violation

Thankfully following your steps i was able to get back to a restore- although at one point it looked like it wasnt going to!

I went and checked my DMP files afterwards to see if any of them had made it through the restore, and one of them had, so heres that file, although im assuming its not going to be much help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lkluxa8fimpxtm/051819-5625-01.dmp?dl=0

Thanks

jj360live

Commendable
Jun 20, 2017
Another quick note before you all look at that- i used this program BlueScreenView and it is saying the driver that gave that code is LGBusEnum.sys which looking online seems to relate to Logitech drivers, specifically i saw posts to do with a G502 mouse, this is the mouse i have. Im not sure if this is a false positive, but i was getting the BSODs before i got this new mouse, and i was using a Razer one before. Could it be something to do with the USB port i have this mouse plugged into or is that a push?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran 2 new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Wx1P.html
File information:051819-5625-01.dmp (May 18 2019 - 13:00:39)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File information:051719-8781-01.dmp (May 17 2019 - 15:47:09)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)
Unfortunately, the driver verifier one didn't point directly to a driver.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: jj360live