BSOD Almost Always While Gaming: Please review dmp file and help

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I recently made this rig with the below specs. It seems whenever I play any game I start getting BSODs. So far, I've downloaded bluescreenviewer and now whocrashed, and the results are listed below. The latest crash said that it may be a thermal issue so I've been monitoring my cpu and gpu temps and they've been fine. I've checked my drivers to the below components and all are up to date. The last component added to my computer was my HDD and I thought this was the problem until I checked drivers. I now have my computer case open to listen for any strange noises before my next crash... My next move is to run memtest86 (previous memory tests have been fine) overnight to test ram and if that turns out ok I'll uninstall my antivirus software Avast!. The results of whocrashed test is listed below. Please help guys and thanks for all input!

mobo: Maximus V Extreme
cpu: i7 2600K NOT OC'd
gpu: GTX 690 NOT OC'd
RAM: 16GB @ 1866 MHz (this is stock and not OC'd)
Samsung 500 GB SSD
Western Digital 2 TB HDD
PSU: 1050 Corsair

windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., MAXIMUS V EXTREME
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17119981568 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1901969408

On Sun 12/1/2013 2:51:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\113013-10935-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8010929028, 0xBE200000, 0x5110A)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 12/1/2013 2:51:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0x1E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8010929028, 0xBE200000, 0x5110A)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Solution
yep, sounds like a faulty psu. would be nice to test the gpu on another pc if possible to make sure that's fine and then the next logical step would be to get a new psu. if anyone can lend you one (700-800W +) for testing and making sure before you order one would be even better.

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

Update: Just ran memtest86 and on first pass no problems. I also note that some component starts making noise every now and then when running games, and sometimes this is followed by a crash although not always. Maybe its a fan or spinning disk, which means it's either the psu, gpu, hard drive. Gonna game and listen for noise....

Ahh good point. If I disable the gpu driver on my comp thru device manager will that suffice or do I have to physically remove the gpu from mobo in order to just use my mobo's graphics?

So my next move is : game and listen for what's making the noice before my crash. After that I'll play my game with mobo graphics and see if I crash at all. Any other ideas out there?

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Update: I've disabled the drivers, and I actually had to remove the gpu since my monitor is the qnix 2710 that only has one output and my mobo had only certain vga outputs... gpu is out, now i'm gonna play some games (at low resolutions and not at my beautiful 1440p, boohoo) and see what happens. Also, it was my psu roaring from time to time too while gaming, and sometimes that coincided with bsod's. I'll keep you posted

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Rig has been running fine without the psu roaring up and no bsod's. This is after about 30mins of gaming and usually the psu atleast roars every now and then followed by a bsod. I think you're right, the great and awesome gpu must be overheating and/or stressing my psu to the point the fan kicks in and roars softly.

Now the million dollar question: how do I fix this great and awesome gpu? Do I have to RMA? I read about the heating issue inherent in the design with the airflow pushing into instead of out of computers but I thought my HAF 932 computer tower was up to the task but I guess not. This freaking blows....

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

Update: I'm letting others play my computer and I don't here the psu roaring up still. I'm sure it was the psu roaring up. I had my computer open and investigated the inside whenever the noise came about (always while gaming). My only problem right now my computer locks up every now and then which I think is problems with steam and not the psu because I haven't had any blue screens. I hate steam but it's the only way to play skyrim unfortunately and I need my skyrim fix for the next month or two. I'll be sure to read the review for airflow.

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
now my computer freezes while playing, even on non-steam games (SWTOR). Isn't this a symptom of the psu? My gpu has been removed and I get no bsods or loud roaring sounds (psu or gpu? Who can be sure?) so I'm using the mobo graphics capabilities. With this new symptoms, this means a faulty psu for the most part correct? Atleast now I'm not getting bsod's and can play a bit longer before the game freezing, but this still sucks. I've also heard that games have problems with nvidia sli (e.g. 690) maybe with the 690 gone and the possibly faulty psu, this is my new symptom instead of bsod's while gaming? The computer has not froze when I'm not gaming.

yep, sounds like a faulty psu. would be nice to test the gpu on another pc if possible to make sure that's fine and then the next logical step would be to get a new psu. if anyone can lend you one (700-800W +) for testing and making sure before you order one would be even better.

Solution

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

Ok, then this is my plan and I'll update in the next several days: I'm gonna put my GTX 690 into my wife's computer (she has a 560 Ti) and see what happens. If she has no freezing, growling sounds, then I know it's the psu in my computer that's faulty. I ordered a psu tester for less than 20 bucks but I wont get it until 2-3 days from now so I'll just do this instead and see. On another thread that I've posted this problem on, it was brought up that the NVidia drivers have been a huge problem of late, but hopefully switching gpus will again clear my 690 as the source of failure. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1908611/absence-pin-atx-causing-crashes.html#xtor=EPR-8809

So to summarize:
mobo: Maximus V Extreme
cpu: i7 2600K NOT OC'd
gpu: GTX 690 NOT OC'd
RAM: 16GB @ 1866 MHz (this is stock and not OC'd)
Samsung 500 GB SSD
Western Digital 2 TB HDD
PSU: 1050 Corsair
Monitor: QNIX 2710
1. With this setup, I have BSOD's only when gaming and also frequent loud roaring which is either the psu or gpu, cant be 100% certain. (source is psu or gpu)
2. Removed 690 and uninstalled all but 3 NVIDIA drivers. Now, only when gaming, my computer freezes and even shuts off on its own (only twice) when it freezes. This while using the mobo graphics. No more roaring sounds though (now I think it's psu causing failures)
3. Next step: put my 690 gtx into another computer and see if I get bsod's (thus clearing gpu as source completely)

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Update: I've taken out my gtx 690 and put in my wife's 560 Ti and wouldn't you know it, I hear the psu fan roaring from time to time then....BSOD. I really do think it's a faulty psu. Am I missing anything? I couldn't test the 690 in my wife's computer because of other monitor issues but with my computer roaring and BSOD's even with a new gpu petty much answers it for me. What do you think?

Blah, I HATE this BSOD message. It basically means something hardware related broke, but doesn't give you much more information then that. I've seen this BSOD thrown due to overheating, bad BIOS settings, a faulty Motherboard, poor PSU volrage regulation, and other causes.

Based on your description, its sounding like either the PSU is doing a really poor job, or you are overheating. Both could cause WHEA BSOD's are hard lockups. I'd have a temp monitor running the next time you game, and see where temps end up. Aside from that, I'd replace the PSU.

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

I KNOW RIGHT!?! I hope the software of the future will be more descriptive when the system crashes! If not maybe my 7 year old will aspire to be a software designer since he's more pissed then me when my system crashes, hahaha!

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Update: I just wanted ppl to know the solution instead of just gorging myself on rpg gaming with no bsod's and ignoring forums, lol. As Ingtar33 suggested on my other post (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1908611/absence-pin-atx-causing-crashes.html#12116584) the current NVIDIA drivers suck--atleast, on my rig with the above settings (see link again). I did buy another psu after reinstalling my gtx 690 but got another BSOD after less than 15 minutes. Bah! So, I uninstalled ALL nvidia drivers, went to the website, and installed an old driver (310.90) and I've been gaming for about 7 hrs with no BSOD's. Freaking beautiful. If a more current rpg comes out I may be forced to update my drivers (waiting for DA3 and ESO) but for now my rig is STABLE. Woohooo.