BSOD almost immediately on Windows 10 Laptop, Safe Mode works fine.

Nitori Kappashiro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Context: I was playing a game named Grim Dawn three days back or so, everything suddenly hung up, and I was delivered with a BSoD "Thread Stuck in Device Driver."

Now, after a number of system recovery, reset, and even a few attempts to restore to factory settings (eventually having to resort to a USB installation of windows), the computer will now almost never BSoD - but instead, will totally freeze (hard lock, can't move cursor, alt tab, start, ctrl alt del, anything) within minutes of startup or attempting to run windows update.

BSOD Dump: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fa1magacu5abq6/010616-15687-01.dmp
Second BSOD Dump (in case the first doesn't work): http://www.mediafire.com/download/a6ulu5ih9cqclww/010616-15734-01.dmp

Any help would be very gladly appreciated, I'm about to tear out my hair in frustration.

Oh yes, and specs:

Laptop model: Dell Latitude 3540
Processor: Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6 GHz (x4)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 8850M - 2048 MB, Core: 575-725 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz, GDDR5, Catalyst 13.9, Enduro
Memory: 8224 MB
, DDR3, two memory banks (both filled)

Solution
you might remove the old driver listed below also, this is the first time I have seen someone use it but it would not be loaded in safe mode and it looks like the only driver that is old and custom.

the bugcheck happened because the GPU did not respond to the directx
The interesting thing about this is the system timer indicates that the system was running only 20 seconds. This is often a indication that the CPU rebooted and the system restarted with a overheated CPU or GPU or power that was not stable.
I will see if I can find a likely cause.
note: only see one old driver installed:
DellRbtn.sys Fri Aug 03 14:32:54 2012
OSR Open Systems Resources Airplane Mode Switch Driver

looks like there are no custom dell driver installed for...
you might remove the old driver listed below also, this is the first time I have seen someone use it but it would not be loaded in safe mode and it looks like the only driver that is old and custom.

the bugcheck happened because the GPU did not respond to the directx
The interesting thing about this is the system timer indicates that the system was running only 20 seconds. This is often a indication that the CPU rebooted and the system restarted with a overheated CPU or GPU or power that was not stable.
I will see if I can find a likely cause.
note: only see one old driver installed:
DellRbtn.sys Fri Aug 03 14:32:54 2012
OSR Open Systems Resources Airplane Mode Switch Driver

looks like there are no custom dell driver installed for your motherboard.
There may be some that are required for the machine to work correctly.
check motherboard vendor website.

could not read the BIOS info from the memory dump. second bugcheck looks like the first.

I would just apply a BIOS update or reset the bios to defaults if you are current, then install any windows 10 driver updates from the vendor and reboot and see if you still have problems. I would also make sure the GPU is not overheating and that the fans are spinning. IE blow out any dust.

Solution

Nitori Kappashiro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Oh, uh, update later, after trying all that stuff. As far as I can tell, the GPU's probably blown. I updated the bios, etc, did a whole bunch of stuff, but the crashes eventually only mostly stopped once I disabled the Radeon GPU, and now it'll freeze and throw a fuss if I attempt to install a radeon GPU driver, otherwise the only time it'll freeze is if it goes into sleep mode (which it's done since forever so I've given up attempting to figure out why that happens).

Thank you for the help, but I think the cause is that the GPU's just totally blown. Not sure why, but I think it's a hardware issue and i'll have to get it repaired.