Question BSoD and automatic repair loop

PlagueDrAro

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
I have an older PC that I tried factory resetting years ago to give to my mom. I recently tried to fix it but I'm having a few issues with the instructions.

First issue was the BSoD so I went and tried the automatic repair option which led to problem number 2 which is the endless rebooting. I have a usb with windows in it to try and repair it that way. It seemed to be working for a time (it was diagnosing the problem) before the PC started rebooting constantly.

The other issue I'm having is that the USB won't show up on the boot menu for a fresh install. The only way I've managed to get it to boot via USB is by enabling a setting to make the USB boot first, however that leads to the problem of not being able to complete a fresh windows 10 install because it restarts in the middle of the install and resets the process.

I don't know if this would be a problem to post under Windows 10, though it is related as I'm trying to do a fresh install of windows 10 to try and fix the BSoD issue. There are no important files saved on the computer the only thing on it is Windows, but I'm not concerned about losing any files. I tried hitting the reset windows, but both options "keep files" and "remove all" both resulted in the same "there was a problem resetting".

I tried the CMD prompts for chkdsk and bootrec /fixboot. The chkdsk didn't find any problems and when I tried to execute the commands "bootrec /fixmbr" and fixboot the command prompt simply said the command successully executed.

The only thing I can think of that is left to try is by trying a fresh install without changing the boot order assuming that what I've read is correct about the boot order causing a problem when trying to install windows. So, my question is whether I should use a USB 2.0 to get it to show up on the boot menu or if there is another method to boot from USB without enabling "USB Boot First".

Specs:
SilverStone ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.1GHz
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Intel BOXDH67CLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ
HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY