[SOLVED] BSOD and Chrome Errors - Dump Files Attached

Aug 3, 2020
Hi all!

Wondering if you'd be able to help me. I've been getting some weird crashes when playing games, browsing on chrome, and also an occasional random BSOD.

I've tried to include as much information below as possible, including what I've tried and what errors I'm getting (and when.) Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm starting to really worry!

What I've tried so far (but happy to test again if anybody thinks these are an issue):
  • Testing the RAM - no issues found
  • Stress testing (Furmark) - no issues found
  • Stress testing CPU (Cinebench R15) - no issues found
  • Monitoring temps in HWMonitor - all seems fine, never got above 70 under load
  • Uninstalling Corsair's iCue software as I suspected it was this - crashes still occurring, but definitely less
  • Reseating RAM
PC Specs:

• Ryzen 5 2600
  • Gigabyte B450 DS3H
  • Corsair Vengence RAM (2x8gb, 3200Mhz)
  • MSI GTX 1660 Ti VENTUS XS 6G OC
  • WD Blue 500gb NVME M.2 SSD
  • Corsair 450W 80+ Bronze PSU
Running Windows 10, no overclock other than the factory overclock on the GPU.

CRASHES AND ERRORS LISTED BELOW

Chrome 'Aw Snap' Errors (occur randomly)

• STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  • STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH
  • STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION
BSOD Errors

• Page Fault In Nonpaged Area (Opening Origin)
  • ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY (Just whilst browsing the internet)
Game Crashes

• DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (Halo MCC)
  • 0xC0000096 - The thread tried to execute an instruction whose operation is not allowed in the current machine mode (Football Manager 2020)
  • Crash to desktop with no error code (FIFA 20)
  • 0xC0000005 - The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access (Football Manager 2020 and FIFA 20)

I've had another BSOD today with a few files showing as the culprit. Would anybody be able to take a look at my dump files and give me any advice?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17WNyXh_BciUymL6WNxZ0Ep4Xye4GQD77?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/5mnpDrL6
File information:080520-8625-01.dmp (Aug 5 2020 - 07:59:00)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (BE)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Basecamp 3.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:080320-9125-01.dmp (Aug 3 2020 - 11:54:32)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:080320-7109-01.dmp (Aug 3 2020 - 04:41:09)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:080320-7015-01.dmp (Aug 3 2020 - 12:41:17)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SteamStreamingMicrophone.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File information:080220-10359-01.dmp (Aug 2 2020 - 09:06:09)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 49 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)
One of the crashes was caused by your GPU. The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10#kf
There is a minor BIOS update available for your system. I would wait and not update yet. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
1st crash - Attempted Write - Caused by Realtek WIfi drivers
Jul 29 2019 - rtwlanu.sys - Realtek WLAN USB NDIS Driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
might be newer ones - what wifi adaptor are you using?

2nd isn't as obvious
3rd as per Gman above, Nvidia drivers
Jul 05 2020 - nvlddmkm.sys - Nvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/
Being on latest Nvidia drivers never seems to be a good idea.

4th appears to be Steam = SteamStreamingMicrophone.sys
Jul 20 2017 - SteamStreamingSpeakers.sys - Steam Streaming Speakers driver (Valve Corporation)
Jul 28 2017 - SteamStreamingMicrophone.sys - Steam Streaming Microphone driver (Valve Corporation)
I haven't seen it set off DV before

5th error could be lan drivers again since it is chrome that crashed.

Aug 3, 2020
Thanks very much for your reply.

I'd already tried a full uninstall using DDU and then reinstalling but it didn't fix anything.

I think I may have solved it but would love to know if I'm just lucky so far and the system hasn't crashed again but will do.

I suspected it was a memory problem as the crashes seemed to be coming from a few different things, so ran memtest again and got a load of errors. I then removed XMP and ran with no errors, so have bumped back up to 3000mhz (not 3200mhz) and have do far been stable.

Could the above crashes have been cause by unstable memory overclocking or have I just been lucky so far?

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2020
Great - hopefully its just my memory not playing nice with 3200mhz then.

I'll report back if I have any further crashes! Thanks very much