BSOD and FREEZES after overclocking keeps happening randomly

dryl77

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hi, guys. I am experiencing BSODs and freezes after my friend OC'ed my CPU without checking with me. Being an OC noob, I was trying to stay away from it until I fully learn about it. Here are my specs -

i5 4670K
ASUS Z97i Plus
Thermaltake 750M PSU
Crucial 16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 SC

The BSOD occured after my friend set my base clock to 4.4 GHZ and 1.25 Core Voltage, at least that were the values when I checked. I set the values to default using BIOS after the BSOD and after weird noises came from my Case, I don't know if they came from my mobo or the PSU, I am sure it wasn't the GPU and the watercooler. The BSOD continues after setting everything back to defaul. I checked it with Blue Screen View, and it showed me the following errors -
cfosspeed6.sys
ntoskrnl.exe

Then, I checked the memory DMP in windows and it again showed me that CFOS was the probably cause, along with 'Chrome' titles when I clicked on analyze for further analysis.

The problem is I deleted TurboLan, which cfos was using and I am still getting sudden freezes, usually while surfin the web. I gamed for like 4 hours after this and no BSODs or freezes.

I am uploading the text output from my Memory DMP analysis and the actual mini dump file here so somebody who knows how to read this can help me solve the issue. I would really preciate any help, guys.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Dump files -

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00164928569883096096

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08874171137394787481

Solution
When you say, disconnect your drives - do I disconnect all of my Hard Drives? Yes

Do I disconnect my two SSDs, one HDD and see if the motherboard loads the BIOS screen? Yes

To sort this out, leave the HDDs disconnected till you get your PC going again.

Leave the SSD disconnected till you get the PC to post/load bios.

dryl77

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I used the Auto BIOS settings, the Vcore is back to 1.025, as it was before. Could the OC have corrupted system files somehow? I think this is software related as I have no problems while gaming, etc but BSOD or freezes when I am surfing online or simply installing stuff.

Could the OC have corrupted system files somehow? - No.

You haven't posted your complete and detailed build. Do so.

Disconnect your drives, fit an internal speaker and see if your PC posts - loads bios. If not see what post/beep code you get per http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

If it posts OK, then either your OS drive is faulty or Windows is corrupted. Check them with thew manufacturer's Diagnostic Tool (eg Seagate's Seatools). Replace any faulty drives. Do a Checkdisk - of every drive - with repair.

Once you know the drives are OK, just connect the OS drive. Boot into Safe Mode (F8 per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode#1TC=windows-7) and try a Computer Repair. If that doesn't fix your BSOds then try a Last Know Configuration (system restore). If that doe4sn't work, then try a Windows re-install.

dryl77

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Thanks for your detailed explanation. This is my first build so still getting the hang of things. When you say, disconnect your drives - do I disconnect all of my Hard Drives? I don't have any optical drive installed btw. Do I disconnect my two SSDs, one HDD and see if the motherboard loads the BIOS screen?

My full specs are -

i5 4670K
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
128 GB Samsung 840 EVO
256 GB Samsung 850 EVO
3 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
ASUS Z97i Plus
Thermaltake 750M PSU
Crucial 16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 SC

When you say, disconnect your drives - do I disconnect all of my Hard Drives? Yes

Do I disconnect my two SSDs, one HDD and see if the motherboard loads the BIOS screen? Yes

To sort this out, leave the HDDs disconnected till you get your PC going again.

Leave the SSD disconnected till you get the PC to post/load bios.

Solution