BSOD and freezing ntoskrnl.exe

_napel

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi everyone, I've been experiencing some problems with my PC. I've tried finding the solution on my own, but that didn't quite work out, so I turn to you. As I'm not sure what the problem is I put it in this topic (even though it's most likely a hardware issue).

A few months back (quite a few) my PC started freezing and BSOD'ing. As far as I can recall I didn't do anything remarkable or strange with it before it started occuring. The freezes and BSOD's will usually happen somewhere within 10 minutes of booting, though sometimes it occurs much later. Sometimes, the PC will even freeze before booting the OS, so while displaying the manufacturer boot screen. This led me to believe that it's a harware issue.

The BSOD's all refer to ntoskrnl.exe. I've heard that ntoskrnl.exe has something to do with memory and thus this could mean that my memory is faulty. So I've scanned with memtest86, which didn't find anything.

Also important: the BSOD's and freezes will sometimes just stop for months and then return (for months as well), all out of nowhere and seemingly at random.

So, as I said, I've tried some solutions myself. I have scanned a lot for corrupt files with sfc/scannow. It did find corrupt files, but some of them couldn't be repaired (I've repeated it a lot). I've also used diagnostic tools for the RAM (memtest) and HDD (tool from WD). Neither found anything. I've also tried booting on each stick of ram seperately, but with no difference. I've tried updating all the drivers that I can find, and cleaning the PC of dust (it was already quite clean though).
I've also scanned for virusses (MSE) and malware (Malwarebytes) and I ran CCleaner and Defraggler.
One thing: I have only used memtest in Windows. Somewhere in the near future I'll also try running both memtest86+ and memtest86 from a bootable usb. Perhaps that'll get me some better results.

Here are the specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Pentium dual core E5200 @ 2.50GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GTS 450
931GB WD HDD (94,7GB free)
Acer motherboard

It's a rather old PC (about 7 years I think). I could buy a new one off course, but I'd much rather fix this one, as it's still useful to me.
Also: the GPU sometimes seems to reach some very high temperatures during high usage. Sometimes up to 85° C. Perhaps overheating is the issue?

And here are the BSOD logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jsT0QBD75vWG5iREhxQkhQcWNKcVk1T2Y3V1M3dUZaYno4/view?usp=sharing

And finally, I still have the free upgrade to Windows 10 available. Could that perhaps solve the issue?

My suspects are:
- Bad RAM
- Corrupt files / OS (but the freezes also occur outside of the OS)
- Overheating (probably GPU)
- Something with ntoskrnl.exe
- Bad HDD (though unlikely)

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Usually caused by download of incompatible updates. Video driver or registry has been corrupted.

Use system restore to set drive back to time before updates occurred, if possible
Turn auto updates OFF.
Load only "critical" updates manually...check video manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer website, for list of incompatible updates.
If FAIL,
Disable ALL security and firewalls
Set bios to boot DVD drive first...
put windows 7 disk in drive...
Select: "upgrade" installation.
This replaces the OS, without erasing your files or programs, this also erases updates.

This will restore the original registry before it was corrupted by incompatible updates.

Now that system is stable, avoid incompatible updates, as above.

However turning ON automatic updates, will cause the same problems to occur again. (the incompatible update will install again and kill the video again).
This has also killed audio drivers, CD drive DVD drive, printer drivers, etc...

Because: Not all updates are compatible with all hardware/ software/ drivers. Occasionally on "some" systems, you will run into this glitch...especially older systems.

CPU:
Remove CPU Fan
Clean heatsink
Reassemble...the heatsink is probably clogged with dust and dirt.
If fan is failed: replace CPU fan.

_napel

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016

I've just tried this solution. As the computer is currently in one of its functional periods, I can't immediately tell if it's now fixed or not, but I guess I'll find out in the future. Thanks for your help.

_napel

Reputable
Apr 2, 2016

I've already tried restoring to the earliest possible time, but to no avail. I've now also tried doing a clean install of the video card driver and a reset of the CMOS. I'll see how that works out. I'm not all to keen to do a complete system restore, but if the problems return, I'll definitely try it.

Thanks!