BSOD and Game crashes after migrating to new SSD

Feb 23, 2018
I bought a new SSD(Samsung 850 EVO) and migrated everything onto it using the Samsung Migration Tool. It seemed completely fine until i started to play games on it. When playing games i will get kicked to the desktop or get a BSOD that says KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and does not list a driver error or anything after it. The computer rarely gets a BSOD while not playing games but it still happens once in a while. Ive placed all the games onto the SSD and all older games and other rarely used stuff on my hard drive. This never happened when i was just using the hard drive. I play various steam games and I redownloaded them to make sure they were not corrupted and used 'Check file integrity' yet the problem still occurs. I usually play Dota 2 and Witcher 3 and both of them seem to crash randomly. Apart from changing to an SSD i also swapped in a CPU and mobo (i5-6500 and ASrock h110m-HDS) that my friend gave me who had only used it for less than a year and had no problems with it. I also reinstalled graphics card drivers by uninstalling drivers through Device manager (display adapters) and then reinstalling through geForce experience but did not seem to help much. I have also disabled Fast Startup in the power options but that also doesnt seem to help.

Event viewer log of dota 2 crashes:
Faulting application name: dota2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59f8e077
Faulting module name: nvspcap64.dll, version: 3.12.0.84, time stamp: 0x5a54ea62
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000016113
Faulting process id: 0x217c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3ac96927147eb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\dota2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap64.dll
Report Id: 8cfa7125-8fd4-4555-a465-eb9bd4d05b34
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program dota2.exe because of this error.

Program: dota2.exe
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

I also ran the CHKDSK /f but didnt seem to solve the problem

I played some Witcher 3 yesterday and the longest interval of time got to play around 3 hours without getting a BSOD or crash to desktop. Been busy with school and stuff so i usually dont play that long but when I do the crashes are really frustrating especially in Dota 2. Temperatures dont seem high enough to cause a crash with the highest CPU temp I saw while playing was ~65 degrees C and for the GPU ~85 degrees (while playing witcher for hours). GPU is an MSI 950 2gb.

crash dumps that happened today from C:/Windows/minidump and 5 most recent Witcher 3 crashes-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xTB6ECttnT4D3d7de7P6NOl8loko2ZVm?usp=sharing

Any suggestions on what i should do next is appreciated. Probably wont reply too soon as i am heading off to bed.

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
As far as I understand you copied Windows 10 from 1 media to another and swapped hardware in between. I would start with checking for the latest drivers for the mother, check if new bios is available. You might want to check if there are new drivers for everything you have installed since you have a different mother now.

If you don't have a lot of stuff to save, just Witcher 3 saved games, it would be best to just reinstall Win 10 with the new hardware.

I looked at one of the memory dumps, it looked like a access violation coming out of a file filter driver that resulted in a bad memory address being passed to the file system. It looks like some of the windows core files have been modified. I would start cmd.exe as an admin then run

sfc.exe /scannow
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

as an attempt to get fixed files. I would then do a Malwarebytes scan, then boot and run memtest86 to check your memory timings.

I kind of assume it is malware because of the modified files.

error 0xc000001d ={EXCEPTION} Illegal Instruction An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.

I would guess that you have a corrupted stack, overheating problem.

I would go to my motherboard vendors website and update the motherboard sound driver as a fix attempt.
(under the theory that the motherboard sound driver is responding on the same direct memory access channel as the NVidia graphics sound driver and corrupting its data causing the the GPU driver to crash)

you could also get this problem if the 3 NVidia drivers are from a mismatched build, it happens when Microsoft does a GPU driver update and the machine is not rebooted when before the NVidia setup program is run) this shows up in the memory dump when you look at the dates of the NVidia drivers.
most people just to a clean reinstall of the NVidia driver using the NVidia gpu setup program.