Question BSOD and Unable to Reset Windows 10

Marktehbuilder

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
I installed a new hard drive yesterday and now my computer crashed. Once I booted on the computer after installing the new drive, I was told I needed to reset Windows 10 for some reason. This morning my computer was acting strange. The registry seemed screwed up. I saw the AVAST program, which I never installed and it didn't appear in my programs list. My Steam library suddenly moved to my desktop. So I decided to reset Windows 10 again but it failed to reset.

Now I have a Blue Screen with the "CRITICAL PROCCESS DIED" code. I looked up different methods to fix it and none of them are working. I am unable to boot into safe mode. It won't even let me reset Windows 10. I have no idea what to do.

My system
Ryzen 5 2600x
Asus rog strix x470 f
16 GB ram
Crucial SSD (Boot)
Seagate HDD (The new drive)

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried disconnecting the drive from the system and see if the system went back to normal? If you can't get into Safe Mode, your only option is to recreate the bootable installer for the OS and reinstall the OS.

You should always list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (unless you have one already)

Anything on boot drive you want to save?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after language, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Critical process died is a pain as it affects two types of files, those that are needed to boot PC and those that are needed to log into user. If either type is corrupted, then windows won't work.

Best answer to this is a fresh install like LUtfi said