Question BSOD - At the end of my rope

May 1, 2020
So first off, some background. I've been building systems since I was 12 and I'm 38 now. I've won overclocking competitions and have built hydraulic flight sim rigs. I owned a storefront for years until I moved away and currently own a managed service provider after being the director of one previously.

That all being said, I am completely stuck here. I feel like I'm going insane and nobody I've spoken to has any clue what the heck is happening here.

A year ago, I built a rig with the following in it:
Intel 9900k
Asus Maximus XI Hero
EVGA 2080 Ti SC
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2
8 TB WD storage drive (simply in AHCI mode, not RAID as it's the only SATA device)
32 GB Corsair LP RAM
Win 10 x64 Home
1000w EVGA platinum PSU

Updated the BIOS on the mobo, configured it (stock processor speeds, XMP, disabled onboard audio & wireless, configured fans), used all current drivers (including chipset, LAN, video, etc.) on a clean Win 10 install after disconnecting from the internet and removing all the ones Windows tried to install. Used the Samsung m.2 NVMe driver, and removed all excess startup entries. I even updated the fan controller on the video card. My software is updated obsessively.

After a short while, I started getting BSODs. The frequency could be twice a day to every two weeks, but this is massively unusual for any system of mine. Checking the event log, none mentioned anything more than the standard Kernel-Power crash. Sometimes I would see things like IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Nothing helpful. I tweaked a bit, but after about 4 months and increasing frustration, I changed out the RAM for some new G.Skill RAM.
That didn't help. Over the next 8 months, I've come to replace nearly the entire system.

I've had to sfc /scannow the m.2 drive dozens of times repairing file corruption (ONLY on the m.2, never the 8TB).
I've added in a 1500w battery backup thinking maybe it was something odd with my home power despite nothing else having issues.
I've changed the PSU to a new 850w EVGA Platinum PSU.
I've reformatted 6 times.
I've run without the NVMe driver.
I swapped the processor cooler.

Recently, I got fed up after losing work for the umpteenth time. I sold off the motherboard, processor and newest set of RAM at a loss. That person has having no issues for three weeks.

I purchased a Ryzen 3800x and put it on an Asus Strix X570-F motherboard. A completely new platform! I purchased a new Firecuda 520 2TB m.2 drive and installed my Corsair RAM back in it since it was obvious that was not the problem.

I did another fresh install with my new parts, the 8TB HDD, and my 2080 Ti. I updated and configured the BIOS, installed chipset drivers, and...

It's bluescreened again. I swapped in an old GTX 770 in that I had laying about. Bluescreen. This time I caught the words PFN LIST CORRUPT before it rebooted. I have just now disabled my SATA controller completely, but I don't have access to my storage drive. I don't know if this will solve it, but I can't help but doubt it.

Can anyone at all tell me anything? I feel like I'm going insane and have spent WAY too much money and time on this. What the heck is going on?

Last edited:
May 1, 2020
Additional info:
  • I'm installing Windows from USB. I've created fresh keys several times and have verified checksum of my install media.
  • My temperatures are within normal range.
  • I have a TV attached to the system, 1 wireless mouse, and 1 keyboard.
  • It is wired into my router.
  • I don't keep more than 3 tabs open at once in my browser and I only use 1 browser.
  • I have suspected Firefox as it seemed to happen more often on YouTube while I left videos paused. I installed Chrome and removed Firefox. Same issue.
  • It has only crashed once during 3D gaming; it mostly occurs when doing desktop tasks.
  • It does seem to happen more when I have a game called Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms open, but that could be paranoia. It has still happened when the game is closed fully.
  • MemTest shows nothing wrong.

May 1, 2020
Also, I'm a massive idiot and accidentally posted this to Storage instead of Systems. If a super awesome Mod could move it, I'd be grateful!