BSOD BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER - can I use the port data to identify the faulty device?

watchingtele

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Hey all,

I installed Windows 7 today on a new machine and during one of the Windows Update restarts I got a BSOD. It rebooted itself and carried on updating as if nothing happened but I'd like to determine the cause of the problem in case it's a problem with my motherboard.

Here's the code/parameters and what they mean:

BCCode: fe = BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
BCP1: 0000000000000008 }
BCP2: 0000000000000006 }
BCP3: 0000000000000006 } = Timed out waiting for the port-change state machine to be disabled.
BCP4: FFFFFA800BAAB000 = Time-out code context: port data

Here's a link to the error description where I got that information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/ff560407%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I understand more or less what the first three parameters tell me but I can't figure out how to use the last one. Is there a way to identify which usb port/device caused the problem using that port data?

I think I know which device might be causing the problem (I only have 3 things plugged in - keyboard, mouse and an old wifi adapter I think may be the culprit) but I have no idea how to prove or disprove this theory... Anyway, I'd really appreciate any help in finding out if I need to go through the returns process on my motherboard or not. >.<

I look forward to hearing any suggestions!
Thanks for reading,
Paul

depends sometime on the update and how many your doing at once. before I do windows updates I make sure the mb chipset drivers and wifi cards and other hardware have the newest driver. then I do a few updates at a time then reboot. I found that doing to many updates at once can sometimes over write a driver that it use with a older driver depending on how windows download and installs the updates.

watchingtele

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Hey smorizio, cheers for getting back to me. :)

I did a reboot after every driver install and I made sure any dependencies were done in the right order. If it turns out that that code does point to the motherboard's end of the USB connections I'll maybe reinstall the USB drivers, but I think they should be good so I'd expect a hardware issue in that case I think...

But what I want to know really is what that data in parameter 4 means and how I can use it in diagnosing my problem. If it somehow identifies the device that caused the problem that would be perfect, but I haven't had much luck finding information on it so far...