BSOD, can’t boot after installing bad driver

Oct 17, 2018
Yesterday I was having issues transferring data from a friends android phone to an iPhone so I ended up trying this program “AnyTrans” after light research about its legitimacy (could be where I went wrong, not sure)

Anyway it works similar to other transfer devices I’ve used at my last job - plug the devices in, allow the devices access to the phones, transfer the data. Though it prompted me to install a driver for the android phone. I did. It said something failed and to restart, and then I got a critical process died BSOD error.

At first, turning the computer on, it would get to my desktop albeit VERY slowly, and only briefly I could see the interface before it’d go black. Next I tried to run in safe mode but got the same results. I then searched up some solutions and tried these steps https://youtu.be/8iI7mOWqJOM

After trying the guys last step with the cmd prompts, my computer now continuously goes to the advanced troubleshooting options. It will not try to load anything. It just goes through a loop bringing me back to troubleshooting options. I even tried refresh/restore and get an error “there was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made”

So alas, here I am. I’m not afraid of data loss, and will troubleshoot the pc issue as needed with your help (hopefully) but more concerning to me at the moment is if there is there a possibly I’ve infected my computer and both phones with some Illuminati malware or whatever with this anytrans program. I feel dumb that I did it so blindly.

Thanks for reading.

boot into safe mode and locate and delete the driver so it can not load. then reboot into normal mode

Oct 17, 2018
That’s what I should have done first before doing the whole md regbackup thing from the video. Now it’s just stuck going though automatic system repair, and telling me it cannot repair the system no matter if I try to run in safe mode or not.

I have a c drive and a d drive and it seems like every time I go into cmd, the directory shows my files on either drive randomly. I swear all my stuff was on D the first time, now it’s on C

intel storage tends to do that. you have to boot on a windows repair image then run

bootrec.exe /scanos
bootrec.exe /fixboot

or run dispart.exe command and reassign the drive letters back into the correct order.
google "how to use diskpart to assign a drive letter"

the intel driver will sometimes reassign the driver letter such that your small hidden drive will become drive c
and your windows drive become drive d: or e:

take a look at this:https://www.disk-partition.com/diskpart/assign-drive-letter-4125.html

TRENDING THREADS