[SOLVED] Bsod caused by cpu voltage?

Oct 22, 2019
I got two cpus: an athlon to update the bios and the ryzen 5 3600 which I was going to use.
So I updated the bios and put in the 3600.
I started encountering bsod’s. I troubleshooting by putting the athlon in and it worked perfectly. I put the 3600 back in and it never bluescreened while gaming but when the system idled or went into chrome it blue screened.

I was told on another forum that the fact that the bsod’s happened during low intensity ment that it was most likely caused by idle voltage problems. How can I fix these voltage problems?

Specs: ryzen 5 3600, asrock b450 fatil1ty gaming k4, rx 5700xt, crucial mx500 500gb, Corsair vengeance rgb 2x8gb ddr4 3200, seasonic focus plus gold 550w
Windows 1903

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Start by updating your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Then investigate what CPU's are supported by your motherboard and in what configurations. Read the fine print.

Other factors: are you doing any overclocking? What error codes and messages (if any) are being logged to Event Viewer and Reliability History at the time of or just before the BSODs?

Solution
Oct 22, 2019
PowerColor Red Devil Radeon™RX 5700 XT

Minimum System Power requirement (W)700W
Extension Power ConnectorTwo 8-pin PCI Express Power connectors
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565770208#spe

Sapphire
PULSE RX 5700XT 8G GDDR6
System Requirement

Recommended 650 Watt Power Supply (Minimum 600 Watt Power Supply).
  • 1 x 8-pin Power Connector.
  • 1 x 6-pin Power Connector.
https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8g-gddr6
I don’t believe that the power supply is the issue since the system works fine under full load on the gpu.

Oct 22, 2019
Start by updating your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Then investigate what CPU's are supported by your motherboard and in what configurations. Read the fine print.

Other factors: are you doing any overclocking? What error codes and messages (if any) are being logged to Event Viewer and Reliability History at the time of or just before the BSODs?
I did not overclock and all the BSODs are linked to ntoskrnl.exe
Also the errors only happened during idle or low loads.

Oct 22, 2019
Here is a link to an applicable link/posting within this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bsod-every-day-due-to-ntoskrnl-exe.3436146/

You may discover some factor that otherwise has gone unnoticed to date.

I already updated all drivers and troubleshooted my ram. But somebody on another forum told me that ntoskrnl.exe bsods can be caused by cpu voltage and the fact that my system only crashes during low loads shows that there is something wrong with the idle voltages. Do you know how to fix the voltage issue?

I thought some of the new BIOS versions actually deleted support for some of the earliest AM4 -compatible Athlons...(perhaps that did not apply here)

(Certainly, if the CPU is ID'd in the BIOS as a Ryzen 5-3500, the BIOS is updated to support it...)

Was CMOS cleared/reset with the Athlon to 3600 swap?

And, once with a new CPU, I'd just nuke and pave, eliminating and and worry over remnants of an older CPU's botched drivers in device manager, etc...

I already updated all drivers and troubleshooted my ram. But somebody on another forum told me that ntoskrnl.exe bsods can be caused by cpu voltage and the fact that my system only crashes during low loads shows that there is something wrong with the idle voltages. Do you know how to fix the voltage issue?

ryzen is very sensitive to ram try using only 1 stick of ram and see if it still does this

Reactions: nicks6694823
Oct 22, 2019
When I game I experience no bsods. I tested it by playing for 4 hours straight and it didn’t bsod. But when I open chrome or leave the pc idling on the desktop it bsods. I’ve tested the ram, installed new drivers, and performed a clean install but I still have these issues. What might the issue be?

Bsod errors always point to ntoskrnl.exe

Specs: ryzen 5 3600, asrock b450 fatil1ty gaming k4, Corsair vengeance pro rgb 2x8gb ddr4 3200, rx 5700 xt, crucial mx500 500gb ssd, seasonic focus plus gold 550w, Windows 10 1903

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Are you able to grab the dump files and put a downloadable link here?

Also just as a starter before we get hold of the dump file (I've not mentioned drivers being as you state that you clean installed):
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
  • Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps?
  • How did you test RAM?
  • What BSOD error are you getting?

Oct 22, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Are you able to grab the dump files and put a downloadable link here?

Also just as a starter before we get hold of the dump file (I've not mentioned drivers being as you state that you clean installed):
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
  • Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps?
  • How did you test RAM?
  • What BSOD error are you getting?
I have the latest bios. Xmp is turned off and everything is at stock. Temps are fine. I used windows memory diagnostics and I am getting many different errors but the most common is irql_not_less_or_equal.

Oct 22, 2019
My pc was crashing during low loads and while idling but not while gaming. So I downloaded ryzren master to monitor idle voltages and I saw that at idle the voltage would jump to 1.4v and it bluescreened me. How can I fix this?

Bsod errors always point to ntoskrnl.exe

Specs: ryzen 5 3600, asrock b450 fatil1ty gaming k4, Corsair vengeance pro rgb 2x8gb ddr4 3200, rx 5700 xt, crucial mx500 500gb ssd, seasonic focus plus gold 550w, Windows 10 1903

Oct 22, 2019
High voltage is common on Ryzen CPUs; both my 2700X and 3700X run around 1.5v under load and will vary between 1.35-1.4v idle (desktop browsing stuff).

ntozkrnl.exe sounds like memory or OS related. I'd just have to google it https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ntoskrnl-exe-bsod-bluse-screen-of-death-error-in-windows-7/

I clean installed windows, updated drivers, and tested ram. And the problem continues.

But just now I swapped the 3600 with the athlon that I used to update the bios and it was working completely fine. So I believe that it is cpu related.

Also I found online that ntoskrnl.exe bsods can be caused by cpu voltage .

Oct 22, 2019
My pc was crashing during low loads and while idling but not while gaming. So I downloaded ryzren master to monitor idle voltages and I saw that at idle the voltage would jump to 1.4v and it bluescreened me. How can I fix this?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The new Ryzens apparently idles with igh voltages (my 3900X idles at 1.487 volts) but the voltages drops when the CPU is under load. The only way I have been able to reduce the voltages is by using the Power Saver Plan in the Control Power Options. That dropped the voltage to 0.95 to 1.2 volts. Any other plan will jack up the voltage.

Oct 22, 2019
The new Ryzens apparently idles with igh voltages (my 3900X idles at 1.487 volts) but the voltages drops when the CPU is under load. The only way I have been able to reduce the voltages is by using the Power Saver Plan in the Control Power Options. That dropped the voltage to 0.95 to 1.2 volts. Any other plan will jack up the voltage.
Is there any way to fix this without costing performance.

Nov 23, 2019
I clean installed windows, updated drivers, and tested ram. And the problem continues.

But just now I swapped the 3600 with the athlon that I used to update the bios and it was working completely fine. So I believe that it is cpu related.

Also I found online that ntoskrnl.exe bsods can be caused by cpu voltage .
I had lots of bsod at idle and tried everything for 3 months. Then I RMA'd the PC and they replaced the cpu. Now everything works fine with default settings. No more endless searching for workarounds for me! I advise you do the same. Good luck!

Nov 23, 2019
I only had bsod on idle with my b450 tomahawk non-max and ryzen 3600. I RMA'd the mobo and cpu and they replaced the cpu. Everything works fine now with default settings. I advice you do the same. Good luck!

Nov 23, 2019
I only had bsod on idle with my b450 tomahawk non-max and ryzen 3600. I RMA'd the mobo and cpu and they replaced the cpu. Everything works fine now with default settings. I advice you do the same. Good luck!

Oct 22, 2019
Sorry to revive the thread but did you ever fix this?

I have the EXACT same problem. Down to when it bsods and what causes it and almost the exact same specs.
I found out it was window’s power plans putting the voltage too low at idle so I downloaded AMD’s power plans. But if you are using the ryzen power plans you can try what the others said.

Reactions: Dalan H