[SOLVED] Bsod caused by cpu voltage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 22, 2019
I got two cpus: an athlon to update the bios and the ryzen 5 3600 which I was going to use.
So I updated the bios and put in the 3600.
I started encountering bsod’s. I troubleshooting by putting the athlon in and it worked perfectly. I put the 3600 back in and it never bluescreened while gaming but when the system idled or went into chrome it blue screened.

I was told on another forum that the fact that the bsod’s happened during low intensity ment that it was most likely caused by idle voltage problems. How can I fix these voltage problems?

Specs: ryzen 5 3600, asrock b450 fatil1ty gaming k4, rx 5700xt, crucial mx500 500gb, Corsair vengeance rgb 2x8gb ddr4 3200, seasonic focus plus gold 550w
Windows 1903

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Sorry to revive the thread but did you ever fix this?

I have the EXACT same problem. Down to when it bsods and what causes it and almost the exact same specs.
Hey, I've the exact same problem as you guys, and almost similar specs (Ryzen 5 3600 and B450 chipset). Can you say what worked for you? Is this a CPU issue?

Jul 26, 2021
I found out it was window’s power plans putting the voltage too low at idle so I downloaded AMD’s power plans. But if you are using the ryzen power plans you can try what the others said.
Hey, I've this exact same problem as you with the same processor and chipset. When I checked power plans, the already enabled one is the AMD Ryzen Balanced. If using the power saving plan of Windows do any better? Was your issue a CPU one? Do you have any other solution to give?

Nov 15, 2021
Yo PLEASE someone help. I have basically the exact same problem. Random game crashing. Pc crashing. And random bsods. Tried everything. Changed out parts. All parts except cpu. I have Ryzen 5 3600x CPU and msi b450 gaming plus max MOTHERBOARD and a gtx 1660 super GPU....... Please what is the fix?? This has been an issue for me for over a year. It happens during games. While just chillin on discord. Happens when idle. Happens literally randomly sometimes back to back. Sometimes not for hours.