BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014
Apparently this type of BSOD is very common but there is no single solution for every user.

Ok so this has been bugging me for days. I don't know what caused it except for the ntoskrnl.exe, this started i think after i updated my OS, and installed unity engine. The error I have been getting is the unexpected store exception. I tried all the things i could, fresh installing windows 10 (at first i wasn't getting bsod or i think, it wants to go BSOD on me), updating drivers using driver booster, sfc scan, chckdsk, memory diagnostic, all passed and performed respected fixes.

The dump file that i see on the software that I'm using doesn't change, even though i'm getting multiple bsods. Huge dump.tmp files were also generated on my page file disk. The BSOD itself isn't every 5 minutes but occurs two to three times per hour. I'm thinking that the culprit is my HDD that holds all my softwares is failing, but still not sure.

Some newly installed software, for example vlc player would not run because of missing or corrupted dll after a BSOD, not all softwares are like this but it does happen.

EDIT: Before reinstalling windows, and after reinstalling, it's giving me warnings that I should restart my pc to repair the disk that has my softwares. And SOMETIMES a BSOD with a stopcode of Memory Management would happen when I'm doiing something e.g. playing games.

Here's a screenshot of the Memory Dump file:
R2e1K4l.png

Dump Info:
3HQeyWx.png

Dump File Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FmZddeA3k3v9gClQsTmdZJdlpsmPlNu7

SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45
GPU: Sapphire Toxic R9 280X
SSD: Sandisk 120GB
HDD: 2x 2TB seagate barracudas (1 for Media Files and another for Softwares)

Solution
if the problem is in virtual memory then you should be able to turn off the virtual memory. delete or rename the hidden c:\pagefile.sys reboot and turn the virtual memory back on. You can even run windows without a page file and it will create one inside of your ram for paging.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. It is basically the brains of windows, if it crashes windows has no choice but to follow.

Bug Check 0x154: UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION - Likely to be a driver so knowing motherboard model will help. Dump files will reveal it (I can't read them in current form but someone else will)

Do you use McAfee AV as uninstalling it is one fix for this BSOD

I wish I hadn't read you used Driver Booster to check drivers as 3rd party applications like it can and will install the wrong drivers.

Your dump file will remain as one file unless you set it to create minidump files - follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014

I don't have any antivirus installed, even prior this problem. I checked individual drivers using windows device manager, checked for updates for every one of them and they all seem fine.
And here's my specific motherboard model: MSI B85M-E45

I configured my settings as per the instructions you've sent. I guess i'll wait for a BSOD to occur?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you know: there is an application on the MSI web site for your motherboard, under utilities, called Live Update 6. It does the same job as Driver Booster but its made specially for your motherboard and will get the right drivers: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B85M-E45.html#down-driver&Win10%2064

Maybe use that next time. I will get someone to read the dump file for you... not sure when though sometime today

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014

I admit i did not know about that until now, that's embarrassing. I rolled back my previous driver updates and used that one (Live Update 6) to install appropriate drivers.

It's alright, i'm not in a hurry.

I think the error had to do with the compression and decompression that windows now does with memory data structures.
The error would happen if something was compressed in memory but had a error when it was decompressed. This can happen with old drivers that go and modify certain locations in windows components. It can also happen if you have memory errors (bad spot in RAM, or incorrect bios memory timings).

generally, I would update the BIOS to get the best current default memory timings for your motherboard, then boot and run memtest86 to confirm that your BIOS memory timings are correct.

After that I would look at the memory dump and have the debugger check for modified windows files and old drivers.

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014

Oh god, this becomes more complicated than what i’ve anticipated.

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014

Doesn’t that mean i’m partially correct about the HDD? The disk sometimes disappears from the disk optimization menu. I used 3rd party software to defrag it.

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014
NOTES ON EDIT: Before reinstalling windows, and after reinstalling, it's giving me warnings that I should restart my pc to repair the disk that has my softwares. And SOMETIMES a BSOD with a stopcode of Memory Management would happen when I'm doiing something e.g. playing games. Please check the original post for memory dump info.

yes you can be correct, the compressed data in RAM gets paged to the drive during the sleep process and will be paged back in to memory later. if the drive has problems, (or cables, or sata controller, or sata controller driver, or the firmware in the SSD) then the data can become corrupted when copied back into RAM. Later when windows checks its data it detects the corruption and calls the bugcheck.

generally, you would attempt a fix by bios update and install the current version of the drivers from the motherboard vendor. If that fails, you have to start looking for 3rd party drivers that attempt to modify windows code in memory.
(virus, hack software, some old windows 7 drivers, some mouse drivers and game add on tools)
You can run Malwarebytes scan to find some of these programs, others you have to setup verifier.exe and have windows try to catch the drivers that write outside their memory area.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are on BIOS version 10.0, that is the original BIOS for motherboard, the Current version is 10.9. Every update has improvements that may help you out. You only need to install latest as they all include previous fixes.

if you look at the top of the page (under header) it shows a link to a video that shows how to update your bios: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B85M-E45.html#down-bios

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014

Hi, I just did an update to get the latest version, had a hard time doing it but I'm currently using the latest version. Live Update 6 displays A.90 but that's 10.9 actually. I flashed it using the msi forum flash tool.
znu1ErE.png

EJLovesKatie

Honorable
May 25, 2014
I am fairly convince now that the problem is my hdd, i have 1 ssd and 2 hdds. I decided to reinstall AGAIN windows 10 this time, after the installation at the first time boot before windows initialization, it gave me the “scanning and repairing drive” right away. I wasn’t that sure at first because the tools I’ve been using says the drive is healthy and there’s no any bad sectors, even checked it with linux.

if the problem is in virtual memory then you should be able to turn off the virtual memory. delete or rename the hidden c:\pagefile.sys reboot and turn the virtual memory back on. You can even run windows without a page file and it will create one inside of your ram for paging.

Solution