Question BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe

spthomas01

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
My system crashes erratically, every few months. Each time I'm running Zoom. I've deleted and reloaded Zoom twice, and that didn't help. The "Caused By" is ntoskrnl.exe. Here's are two dump images about 5 months apart.. Both are identical (as are the two more I have) except for the address of the error, which varies slightly. I have two more going back 6 more months, so this has happened 4 times this year.

5NgWcun.jpg

OiMiIXe.jpg

both bugchecks involve a timeout of a USB device.
I would start by going into windows control panel, device manager
find the menu item to show hidden devices. click on it then delete all of the hidden devices. (usb devices get hidden when removed, some times you have to remove the driver)

other than that you would update the drivers for each usb device.
to debug you have to change the memory dump type to kernel then provide the actual memory.dmp file.

sometimes I can determine the info from a minidump file if you provide it by putting it on a cloud server, share it for public access and post a link.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How can you tell its USB just from looking at the crash report?

ntsokrnl isn't cause, its victim. Its more the case that if it crashes, windows has no choice but to follow. NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause