Question BSOD caused by SSD overheat? (88C/190F)

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Hi, I bought a second-hand laptop: MSI ge72vr 7rf with WD black 512GB (WDS512G1X0C), and once a day+- the OS is randomly freezing and I get a BSOD.
There is no dump file, and right after the BSOD I get "checking for media presence, no media", and only after a restart the OS is running again.
The things I did so far:
Updated SSD firmware
Updated drivers
Reinstall windows
Ran some disk checks&diagnostics

I checked the disk temperatures and it's getting very hot, very fast, even if I just have a Chrome opened, the temps are 85C. I just saw that right before a BSOD it got to 88C (190F).
What do you thing? will a new SSD (WD Black SN750) with heatsink, fix the BSOD for sure?

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Most of the BSODs were "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" but I also saw "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" and "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION".
It always stuck on 0%, so I couldn't get the dump file.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Most of the BSODs were "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" but I also saw "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" and "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION".
It always stuck on 0%, so I couldn't get the dump file.
The BSODs have a variety of subtype bugchecks, so each one of those doesn't have 1 answer.
So again, there is no guarantee that a new SSD will solve the problem, because ultimately, we won't be able to tell from here, however you will need a new SSD if it is heating up that quickly. And could very well be the cause of your issue.

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
The BSODs have a variety of subtype bugchecks, so each one of those doesn't have 1 answer.
So again, there is no guarantee that a new SSD will solve the problem, because ultimately, we won't be able to tell from here, however you will need a new SSD if it is heating up that quickly. And could very well be the cause of your issue.
Is there anything else I can do?

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Verify if the issue occurs in safe mode if you are able to boot first - which can help eradicate if it is software or hardware.
Then I'd verify temps of other components.
There is no harm in running memtest just to ensure that it isn't potential faulty RAM causing the issue.
Do you know what SSD it is?
OK, I'll do it. Many thanks.
Western Digital PCIe Black 512GB (WDS512G1X0C) - PCI-Express 3.0 x4

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
HjboAVA.png

temps were 86-88C during the test

Last edited:

talshabi8

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
I just installed the OS on my HDD and formatted the SSD and its still on 86-88, even thought i'm not using it all.
I really hope that new SSD with heatsink will solve it.

TRENDING THREADS