Question BSOD causes C drive to lose 15+ GB of space (Critical Structure Corruption)

Sep 13, 2024
I've been having fluctuating C Drive space for a long while now, couple years. Going between 5 GB free, back up to 20 GB free somehow, down to 15 GB free, etc.

Yesterday I had a Critical Structure Corruption BSOD. My brief research said it was due to outdated drivers (and yes, my GPU driver was outdated by 2 days). However, it also caused my free C Drive space to go from 16 GB to 2 GB.

Something similar happened last year, as well. A BSOD caused me to lose at least 10 GB of space. And I never quite figured it out. But a couple months ago, after clearing out about 2-3 GB of space, I magically got 15 GB of additional free space. Another thing I have no idea why.

Anyway, what is causing this loss of 14 GB from a BSOD? How can I find these files (crash logs of some sort?) so I can delete them? I do have WizTree to look up all files by file size, but I don't know what actual file names to look for that generated from this BSOD.

Also, any general tips on what system related files to look for to delete to clear up more space? I know to go through all my game save/settings files and can delete those. But what about system related file?

Any help or input would be appreciated. My C Drive is an SSD, if that matters. Thanks.

edit: PC specs
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Mobo - ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 (AM4)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse 7nm Tech)
GPU - 4GB GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (MSI)
RAM - 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1799MHz
PSU - Seasonic 100-240VAC, I think 600W, seems fine, is a few years old, I believe I bought barely used
- drives
C - 119GB M4-CT128M4SSD2 (SATA (SSD)) - 4.22 GB free
E - 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA ) 35 °C - 357 GB free
G - 1862GB SanDisk Extreme 55AE SCSI Disk Device (USB (SSD)) - 950 GB free
F - 465GB Western Digital WD 5000BEV External USB Device (USB (SATA) - 299 GB free

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
First thing I’d do is to back up your data. The OS and programs can be reinstalled.. nothing lost but your data is probably valuable to you.

I found this link from the Microsoft help pages
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rruption/8e29bdac-e372-45a7-9bbd-a2af214adbba

Within the page is a further link highlighted as Article. It shows some steps to accessing a troubleshooter… from the site:

“You can also try getting the latest updates with Windows Update, help from other sources, or restoring Windows to an earlier point in time.

If none of those steps help to resolve your Blue Screen error, please try the Blue Screen Troubleshooter in the Get Help app:

1. In Windows, open Get Help.
  2. In the Get Help app, type Troubleshoot BSOD error.
  3. Follow the guided walkthrough in the Get Help app.
Note: If you're not on a Windows device, you can run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter on your browser by going to Contact Microsoft Support and typing Troubleshoot BSOD error. Then follow the guided walkthrough under "Recommended Help".”

“CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109)
This bugcheck is generated when the kernel detects that critical kernel code or
data have been corrupted. There are generally three causes for a corruption:
1) A driver has inadvertently or deliberately modified critical kernel code
or data. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bitPatching.mspx
2) A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel
debugger that was not attached when the system was booted. Normal breakpoints,
"bp", can only be set if the debugger is attached at boot time. Hardware
breakpoints, "ba", can be set at any time.
3) A hardware corruption occurred, e.g. failing RAM holding kernel code or data.”

Reactions: Dr_Cheesesteak
Sep 13, 2024
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?
Sorry, updated. I can give precise sticker info on the PSU later, if necessary. In a bit of a rush and can't open my tower, atm.

Sep 13, 2024
Sep 13, 2024
I see hiberfil.sys is taking up 22GB. I saw that mentioned in another article. But when i searched for it, I could not find it. But I guess I can delete straight from WizTree, thankfully.

Your hibernation file is taking up 13+GB. 10% of the drive.

This gets invoked during the crash.

Disable that.
Yep, will do. Thank you!