[SOLVED] BSOD Clock_Watchdog_timeout after Changing PSU/ Case

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Hello, Im trying to get some help with a recent BSOD that has happened a few times so far while gaming.
I just changed my PSU + Case(tho possibly not relevant?) yesterday. I was able to game just fine yesterday, but today after using my pc, i ran into the "Clock_Watchdog_timeout" BSOD a few times, all while gaming
I have never received any blue screens with my prior hardware ever since building it.
I tried to google the error, and i saw a few things like Ram, Cpu, GPU problems/ power problems.

The firs thing that came to my mind, was that I am only using 1 Cable for CPU, and 1 cable for GPU.
What I mean by this is that my motherboard has a 4Pin + 8Pin connector for the CPU(which i believe is for extra power), and I am only using the 8 pin. I was told it didnt need the extra 4 pin unless you are doing some "extreme OC", which i am not. I only use the Windows Power plan "AMD High performance" which i belive makes the cpu OC to like 4.4ghz?
As for GPU(2080 Super), It has a 6 Pin + 8 Pin Power connector. In which ive seen some people recommend using 2 VGA cables (one for 6 pin, one for 8 ping) to connect power to it. However I also saw a lot of people saying one connector should be fine, unless you are using a extremely powerful gpu like 3k/4k series. So I only used one VGA connector.
Could either of these be my problem? Should I have used 2 Cables for the CPU, or 2 Seperate VGA cables for power instead of a single one? Or perhaps that error im recieving is not even related to either? What should i do?
As for ram, Its not the problem as I tested it with Memtest.

Windows 10 pro 64bit
RTX 2080 Super
Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB ram
MOBO: TUF gaming X570 plus (Non wifi edition)
NewPSU: EVGA 850 G6 Super Nova

Old PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750watt

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't daisychain the PCIe connector, see if a standalone cable from the PSU to the PCIe connector sans the daisy chain alleviates the issue. Another thing is to disconnect and reconnect your connections considering you changed the PSU. As a side note, did you recycled the older PSU's cables onto the new unit?

IMHO, if your PSU has the cables to feed into every power input connector on the motherboard, why not populate them?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
I wouldn't daisychain the PCIe connector, see if a standalone cable from the PSU to the PCIe connector sans the daisy chain alleviates the issue. Another thing is to disconnect and reconnect your connections considering you changed the PSU. As a side note, did you recycled the older PSU's cables onto the new unit?

IMHO, if your PSU has the cables to feed into every power input connector on the motherboard, why not populate them?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
I dont understand what you mean by "see if a standalone cable.....daisy chain alleviates the issue".

No I did not recycle anything from my old psu to new psu. only using wires that came with the second psu.

image.png

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So I actually found the solution myself after some more googling and checking my bios.

Apparentely my bios was reset after doing the case+PSU swap, so all settings were on default values. Because of this, Virtualization was off... which was most likely the cause of the error in my case.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS