[SOLVED] BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT after upgrading from Ryzen 3 2200G to ryzen 5 3600X

WheatleyGAMING

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Upgraded CPU. I am certain everything else works. I made it to desktop on my old installation for like 10 seconds before it gave this error. During boot the Windows loading indicator freezes and I have to restart. During installation from USB the PC freezes but no BSOD. I have tried most of the options in recovery like Safe Mode and such. I have also tried Windows 10 LTSC and Windows 8.1 to no avail.

BIOS version: F50d

Specifications:
AB350M GAMING 3
Ryzen 5 3600X
GIGABYTE RX VEGA 56 OC
VS 550 PSU
250GB SSD
2X8GB DDR4 2133MHz

Solution
If you are running the latest bios, I would pull the lithium battery in the motherboard (leave it out for 30, 45 min) reinstall and see if problem persists. If it does I would suggest you check all of your connections in the PC... ie, check to make sure your RAM is still completely seated, make sure all power connections are seated fully, just make sure everything in the system is seated properly. When you did the upgrade you may have bumped something or something may have not been seated fully before and a slight bump was enough to unseat it enough to case issues. If you try the above and are still having issues it may be time to remove take your new 3600X processor back out and check to make sure you don't have a bent pin / pins...
Upgraded CPU. I am certain everything else works. I made it to desktop on my old installation for like 10 seconds before it gave this error. During boot the Windows loading indicator freezes and I have to restart. During installation from USB the PC freezes but no BSOD. I have tried most of the options in recovery like Safe Mode and such. I have also tried Windows 10 LTSC and Windows 8.1 to no avail.

BIOS version: F50d

Specifications:
AB350M GAMING 3
Ryzen 5 3600X
GIGABYTE RX VEGA 56 OC
VS 550 PSU
250GB SSD
2X8GB DDR4 2133MHz
Did you update BIOS or even reset CMOS ?

If you are running the latest bios, I would pull the lithium battery in the motherboard (leave it out for 30, 45 min) reinstall and see if problem persists. If it does I would suggest you check all of your connections in the PC... ie, check to make sure your RAM is still completely seated, make sure all power connections are seated fully, just make sure everything in the system is seated properly. When you did the upgrade you may have bumped something or something may have not been seated fully before and a slight bump was enough to unseat it enough to case issues. If you try the above and are still having issues it may be time to remove take your new 3600X processor back out and check to make sure you don't have a bent pin / pins on the processor. If you have to take your heatsink off and check the pins on your processor it will also give you the perfect opportunity to reapply the thermal paste (make sure you have a good spread) and reseat the heatsink. Even if you didn't find any bent pins after reapplying thermal compound and reseating the heatsink see if you still have an issue.

Solution