Question BSOD: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
I've upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600, with new mobo and DDR4 ram to boot. Everything was fine for the first month or so, but now I got two BSOD of the kind mentioned in the title. Or rather, one, whose minidump is here: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AHmyI1P6GMZVUSs&cid=B4A74E558A23CFCC&id=B4A74E558A23CFCC!641&parId=root&o=OneUp , the second one, had a few minutes ago, froze my entire PC and I had to reboot with the power button because it wouldn't even go in BSOD.

This is important: unfortunately, for reasons I won't dwelve into, only one case fan (on the back) is plugged, I will be able to plug my other one after September 5th. Plus, the heatsink fan (CM Hyper 212 Evo) started rattling whenever I alt-tab from a game and load reduces (I'm getting a new fan too). I wonder if it's the PC shutting down to prevent damage due to CPU being too hot due to my unfortunate situation, although I monitor current temps and CPU is 40-50 in idle, and >60 during gaming. It doesn't seem to be that hot to cause shutdowns, or am I mistaken?

The only other change I can think of were some Windows Updates done a couple of days before the first BSOD, otherwise my setup is the same. I'm mentioning this because blaming WUs was one of the few results I found about that BSOD code

I'm running the CPU on OC Mode through Ryzen Master. No custom paramaters, just the big green "OC Mode" button. Mobo BIOS is F50

Let me know what other informations you may need

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello my friend, sorry to hear you're having an issue. 60 degrees would not be enough to cause a problem, the 3600 can work up to 95 degrees easily.

I'm mentioning this because blaming WUs was one of the few results I found about that BSOD code
Unfortunately most things you see online are hogwash. A 101 is a CPU hang. And very very rarely are windows the cause of the problem (we can be talking <1%).
_
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/h2dfep96/show

Summary of findings:
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
This can come typically from malfunctioning hardware, but in rare occasions can also come from some software. It is especially common in Virtual Machine environments if you are running them, it can also be hardware conflicts such as incompatibility, mixed RAM, or even firmware conflicts with the hardware.

A bugcheck 101 is basically a CPU hang, and the majority of the time, is faulty hardware so if we look into your dump file:

Code:
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )
See Unknown_Image or Unknown_Modules can also at times be indicative of a hardware problem.

Also checking the stack:
Code:
# Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
00 ffff8680`a08bab08 fffff804`09dfca52 nt!KeBugCheckEx
01 ffff8680`a08bab10 fffff804`09c483dc nt!KeAccumulateTicks+0x1b1232
02 ffff8680`a08bab70 fffff804`09b5d567 nt!KeClockInterruptNotify+0x98c
03 ffff8680`a08baf30 fffff804`09d373a5 hal!HalpTimerClockInterrupt+0xf7
04 ffff8680`a08baf60 fffff804`09dc3e4a nt!KiCallInterruptServiceRoutine+0xa5
05 ffff8680`a08bafb0 fffff804`09dc43b7 nt!KiInterruptSubDispatchNoLockNoEtw+0xfa
06 ffffef0f`b0a61ad0 fffff804`09dc5eba nt!KiInterruptDispatchNoLockNoEtw+0x37
07 ffffef0f`b0a61c60 00000000`00000000 nt!KiIdleLoop+0x4a

There are no obvious offending third party drivers, it simply seems to be that there is a lock, interrupt, and then timeout.

Did you clean install windows when you replaced the hardware? If not, you might need to.

Are you running any overclocks at all? Disable them to remove this possibility.
__
FIrst things to do:

• Remove the OC first and see if the issue persists. The CPU OC could be leading to it faulting.
  • Monitor your CPU temperatures closely using HWInfo or similar hardware to verify the CPU is indeed not overheating (consider above 90 degrees to be a problem).
If the issue persists even after removing the OC - In order to verify if it is hardware I would recommend the following:
  • Run Driver Verifier as per these instructions. If you encounter another BSOD, please post the dump files so that we can review them.
If the dump files from Driver Verifier do not shed any more light or indicate any third party drivers then I would then do the following:
  • Inspect your new CPU and motherboard for any damage or contamination to CPU/socket pins.
  • Test your CPU by running Prime95 as per these instructions. and then feedback on the results.

Last edited:

chad2625

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
It could also be a bad OC, or AMD's thermal turbo too. Did you start using a new app or game? If it is a bad turbo or or OC that wasn't quit 100% stable, a new program may simply be showing it.. turn of OC mode and see if it stops...

. As far as the heat sink, I'd take it off and reassble it, I'm unaware of why ALT + TAB would do anything.

Id download HWIFO or use any other HW monitor software to see whats going on temp wise.... and usages. I am a huge fan of this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trigonesoft.rsm&hl=en_US

Assuming your not OC'd then your Heatsink may not have enough thermal paste (or cheap), or isn't tight enough. I have never in twenty years of computers heard of a heat sink vibrating noticeably, and something not be wrong there. If it still vibrates, then you NEED to stop it, AM4 is ZIF, it is possible to glue a cpu to a heat sink, and remove it with the arm 'locked ' so vibration near the socket could potentially cause issues, especially if it were loose, and you put on a good coat of thick paste...

Last edited:

chad2625

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
If it is just your fan, a trip to the hardware store for something rubbery and easily cut you can put where your fan touches the heat sink to absorb some vibrations. or if possible swap out your case fan with the CPU fan, for a quick cheap fix.

WIth one case fan depending on GPU and Case, one fan, might not provide enough Air to something Like a VRM, especially a tower cooler, like a hyper, since they don't push air down... a test would be to load the CPU for extended periods of time, with OC mode disabled.... if you still crash, then point a fan at your CPU on LOW (TO lesson static) and test it again, then you know it at least something some Air will fix... I wouldn't run it like this but Id test it.

Last edited:

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
@PC Tailor
I did not reinstall Windows when I switched hardware, I let it do his thing and then manually updated chipset drivers. The windows installation was still recentish, being done in March and without installing any weird drivers I had to use for my game controllers on my previous installation.
Guess my course of action tomorrow will be to turn off the automatic OC and use my PC as normal throughout the day while logging temps with hwinfo, so I can have an accurate temp history to base myself off. By the end of it, or the day after, I'll use driver verifier. Something of note: my CM mouse installs a 2012 iball driver which I've already been told, there's a good chance by you yourself, that was probably the cause of my previous software cause BSODs you may remember from my post history. It's gonna be fun if DV will spot it as a likely culprit.
I'll report back and then see if it's gonna be time to run prime95. Do you reckon a run with memtest86 could be useful? Or are you of the idea that RAM is likely not an issue here?

@chad2625 I'll elaborate: it's not the whole heatsink that is rattling, just its fan. It doesn't happen until I alt-tab from the game, and it stops when I alt-tab back, I've been told by a friend that it's likely caused by the CPU rapidly reducing load and that's why the heatsink fan is rattling like this. I've already tested both GPU and case fans and it's not them.
Game is FFXIV, which is not exactly a CPU eating monster. Plus, I've ran far more intensive games the past few months.

The first BSOD happened one day prior I heard the heatsink fan rattling for the first time, am I correct in saying the a thermal issue is shaping up to be the culprit in here?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I did not reinstall Windows when I switched hardware, I let it do his thing and then manually updated chipset drivers. The windows installation was still recentish
Problem is Windows will only add, not take away. And will not know if the new drivers it is adding will conflict with older ones. It's always best practice to reinstall windows after CPU/MB chance otherwise you can carry over residual junk / drivers than can cause plenty of conflicts.

that was probably the cause of my previous software cause BSODs
I never made the connection, I can't remember previous threads as we work with so many. However when you have a variety of potentially "software" based errors, it actually lends itself to hardware. A wild mix of different stop errors can indicate hardware problems.

it's not the whole heatsink that is rattling, just its fan
Could be a faulty bearing or loose wire for example.

am I correct in saying the a thermal issue is shaping up to be the culprit in here?
If the temps are below 90 degrees, no it probably won't be. But that's only speaking for your CPU obviously, I simply wouldn't assume that other components overheating would lead to a CPU hang.

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
@PC Tailor a few days later than anticipated, but I did the first round of testing.
Disabled OC, CPU is now running at default speeds. Tested with prime95 for 7 hours on Blend, no hitches, temps seemed to be 70 degrees Celsius at most. Can't say for sure as I've been away from PC most of the time, I do have the HWinfo logs.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AszPI4pVTqe0hQKFXvvUuy62c_k-?e=Ci3JGy (first 3 hours of testing)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AszPI4pVTqe0hQObotvx_T72SSLO?e=r1dHYs (last 4 hours)
It seemed to have logged stuff regardless of what I told it to log, for some reason, sorry for the information overload. Either way, I know for sure that the PC didn't turn off, crash, BSOD, or anything of that sort.

Where should I move from here? DriverVerifier?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@PC Tailor a few days later than anticipated, but I did the first round of testing.
Disabled OC, CPU is now running at default speeds. Tested with prime95 for 7 hours on Blend, no hitches, temps seemed to be 70 degrees Celsius at most. Can't say for sure as I've been away from PC most of the time, I do have the HWinfo logs.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AszPI4pVTqe0hQKFXvvUuy62c_k-?e=Ci3JGy (first 3 hours of testing)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AszPI4pVTqe0hQObotvx_T72SSLO?e=r1dHYs (last 4 hours)
It seemed to have logged stuff regardless of what I told it to log, for some reason, sorry for the information overload. Either way, I know for sure that the PC didn't turn off, crash, BSOD, or anything of that sort.

Where should I move from here? DriverVerifier?
I currently am away from office so am replying on my phone but my first instinct would be an unstable or detrimental overclock. I would continue with normal usage with the OC removed and see if the issue returns.

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
I currently am away from office so am replying on my phone but my first instinct would be an unstable or detrimental overclock. I would continue with normal usage with the OC removed and see if the issue returns.
No pressure. Looks like this thread will go to sleep until I get further issues anyway.
Thanks for the help so far, I'll report back if anything happens. I'll probably run DV whenever I have time to spare to see if that mouse driver is being an hassle too.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't run DV unless you keep getting errors as it can have negative effects - mainly it can cause boot loops as Microsoft can't write a driver testing tool that also doesn't break their operating system. Not clean installing after a hardware swap can lead to other problems including BSOD... amazed windows hasn't deactivated itself.

Reactions: PC Tailor

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
Don't run DV unless you keep getting errors as it can have negative effects - mainly it can cause boot loops as Microsoft can't write a driver testing tool that also doesn't break their operating system. Not clean installing after a hardware swap can lead to other problems including BSOD... amazed windows hasn't deactivated itself.
Well, all good things must come to an end. I got the third BSOD just now, once again it didn't even go to blue screen nor do I have a minidump to post. Turned the PC off manually, spun all the fans at max speed on boot for a few secs, and now I'm writing this post.
It happened with the same game (FFXIV) it happened the other two times. I spent plenty of time playing since my last post, both this game and others, but so far BSODs only happened with this one specifically.

Where do I move from here?

Oh, and W10 did need reactivation after changing hardware, but I just logged on my Microsoft account again and everything worked fine.