[BSOD] constantly on new SSD.

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Hi,

I've had a myriad of problems with my new SSD. It's a Samsung 850 EVO which doesn't want to work at all. I purchased it on Jun 1st of this year, installed Windows, and shelved it until the rest of my PC parts got here. It kept giving me a BSOD when I would boot, which was chalked up to just reinstalling W7 to fix it, and it did. But now I get nothing but KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION, and f4 STOP errors. I tried reinstalling Windows, using a different SATA port, changing AHCI mode to something else then back again, memtests which came up fine, chkdsks which, for some reason, came out fine every time. Now it won't boot at all -- no boot error, no error screen, nothing. It boots up, and automatically boots to my secondary HDD, though it'll still be listed under my drive list and be functional as one.

I've contacted Samsung, but I'd like to avoid dealing with them and instead deal with a person who knows what they're talking about, not reading from a manual or remembering training.

Thanks!

WhoCrashed read outs:

On Fri 7/31/2015 11:54:05 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073115-5428-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x748C0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80074DEB10, 0xFFFFFA80074DEDF0, 0xFFFFF80002FD6E20)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 7/31/2015 11:54:05 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80074DEB10, 0xFFFFFA80074DEDF0, 0xFFFFF80002FD6E20)
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 7/31/2015 3:34:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073015-4742-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8008C57B10, 0xFFFFFA8008C57DF0, 0xFFFFF80002FC3E20)

On Fri 7/31/2015 3:07:52 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073015-5304-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC5002BF88, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x13D7DD880, 0xFFFFF8A0057F16D4)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

Solution
The BIOS has a table that contains the correct voltage for the CPU for different clock rates. The overclocking driver can tweak these values and just wreck havoc when they are wrong. Code is all in 1's and 0's and it is the value of the voltage that determines if a signal is interpreted as a 1 or 0. A change in a sequence of 1's and 0' can make drastic changes to the code as it runs.

When debugging, you all ways want to make sure there is no overclocking or sometimes the code works ans sometime the same code fails but when you debug and compare it in memory the code is different from the code read from storage.

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I've already tried that, it's already pre-installed on another device, and I need to contact Microsoft. I did not purchase my copy of W7 through a retailer so it will not work.

you got a kernel inpage error and sub error code:
Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e (3221225486) - A device which does not exist was specified.

this would indicated that your storage could not be accessed.
I would check cables, maybe put the storage on a different port or the primary (slower) SATA controller, update the SATA drivers for the machine.

you can also have problems with bad sectors where your pagefile.sys is located. I would turn off the system virutal memory, delete the hidden c:\pagefile.sys
reboot then turn on the system virtual memory again to create a new pagefile.sys. I would also run crystaldiskinfo.exe and read the smart data from my storage device to see if it is generating errors.
NOTE: on a new SSD boot into BIOS and leave the system powered on for a hour or two with no demands on the SSD, after 5 mins the SSD will run its garbage collection and attempt repairs. (the ssd can get behind if you format the drive or wipe large amounts of data from it, I would also look for SSD firmware updates) if the SSD firmware spends too much time doing cleanup it may not respond and windows will assume it is dead after 30 seconds, then attempts to reset it and will return a error if it still does not respond. I think you can change the timeouts but I would boot into bios and leave it for a hour or two first.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Yes, do these steps:

(1) try another SATA port on the Motherboard (if works, bad motherboard)
(2) try a healthy drive on the SATA port that was giving you problems (if works, bad SSD)
(3) return and request a new SSD or Motherboard if in warranty

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
It's currently in another SATA port, one which was switched to a out a week ago. I'll be there trying the suggested fixes -- I updated the BIOS before I left this morning, hoping it fixes it.

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

It's in another SATA port than it was on initial blue screening a while ago -- I never had a problem with my 3TB HDD while I used it when my SSD was out of commission. After updating the BIOS, it blue screened a few more times with the same few errors.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

What bluescreened after what? Let's get our terms down... Let's call the problem SATA port A, and the old HDD SATA port B.

BTW, don't select best answers until the problem gets fixed.

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

I'm on mobile so I must have hit something accidentally. Quick timeline from the initial problem;

- SSD OS (W7) was installed through a DIFFERENT PC while waiting on my parts. It kept BSODing in my new PC (different error codes related to OS not being found), reinstalled, worked fine for a week.

- Started to BSOD again, I tightened the SATA cord and it seemed to stop blue screening... then it happened again 4-5 days later. (up until then it had been blue screening several times a day -- same error as listed above).

- Started posting on here in another thread, used my other new HDD to boot from - worked fine for around a week then I switched back to my SSD to attempt solutions.

- I switched the SATA port recently, updated the BIOS - still getting the same errors. I'm unable to get another copy of W7 from their website because I didn't buy it retail. I'm ready to buy a new SSD and contact Windows support to see if I will be able to register my copy of W7 on my new SSD, I don't really want to buy another copy.

Everything seems to load like a normal HDD now or a slower HDD. Skyrim load screens where I could barely read the first line of text is now 10+ different things. Chrome lags, everything is starting to lag. This is getting to be infuriating and I'm ready to just spend 200 dollars on a new SSD that isn't Samsung and another copy of W7 and forgo the idiocy of customer support with either companies. Every time I open Chrome all four cores spike to 100% CPU usage.

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

I wouldn't have any idea if a memory dump is being written. I have the latest firmware, always have through all of these problems.

look in c:\windows\minidump for files with a .dmp file extension.
ie C:\Windows\Minidump\073115-5428-01.dmp

is a memory dump from july 31 2015

remove the overclocking driver and see if you can reproduce the bugcheck.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Super Charger\NTIOLib_X64.sys Thu Oct 25 03:27:58 2012

your cpu came out in june of 2014 but you overclock driver is form 2012, not a good combination, the driver will have bad voltage settings for the new low voltage cpu.

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Could this also be the reason (or my SSD problems) that I'm having CPU spike issues, and framerate issues in games now? It just started today.

I've removed the driver and restarted, waiting on another BSOD... until then working on this CPU usage issue.

The BIOS has a table that contains the correct voltage for the CPU for different clock rates. The overclocking driver can tweak these values and just wreck havoc when they are wrong. Code is all in 1's and 0's and it is the value of the voltage that determines if a signal is interpreted as a 1 or 0. A change in a sequence of 1's and 0' can make drastic changes to the code as it runs.

When debugging, you all ways want to make sure there is no overclocking or sometimes the code works ans sometime the same code fails but when you debug and compare it in memory the code is different from the code read from storage.

Solution

Tditw

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I've fixed the CPU issue, it must have been a side issue that happened while changing so many things. My Power Management minimum CPU usage was at 5%, so it was extremely sluggish.

Still waiting on the next BSOD, which hopefully never happens, thanks for your continual help johnbl!