BSOD Critical Process Died and hard drive randomly disconnecting.

Jul 9, 2018
Hi there! Let me first start off by saying I've looked very hard for a solution for this fix. I'm making this post because I'm absolutely stumped on trying to find an answer to this problem.

Last night I was moving my PC to a friends house for a LAN party, a common event that I've done plenty of times throughout my PCs lifespan. As I finished setting up my PC, I booted up the computer to an odd occurance. 4 out of 5 times I would start up the computer and attempt to log in before being met with a Critical Process Died BSOD.

To give a little more specificity into my setup, I have an SSD set up with Windows Home 10 and a few games I often play and a 1TB hard drive for everything else. On that odd 1/5 chance I was able to successfully log into Windows, I was not allowed to access my HDD.

My first inclination was that during the move, something came loose from the PC and just needed to be pushed into place. I fiddled around and made sure all my parts were firm inside the PC and tried booting again to no luck.

Next I tried replacing the SATA cable to my HDD, I thought maybe a loose cable could be causing the disconnect and for some reason crashing my computer. This, however, was incorrect as well and my problem persisted.

I've tried checking sfc /scannow and dism /restorehealth, but sfc is not catching and corrupted system files and dism is producing no effect.

The interesting thing about this whole problem is that when the HDD is not detected, my PC seems to be running just fine. It's only when the HDD is detected it seems to cause BSOD crashes.

My BIOS does detect the HDD during those rare startups where I can access my SSD but not my HDD.

I'm sorry if this is poorly written, I'm extremely tired after hours and hours of troubleshooting and just want a solution. I appreciate any help I can get on the issue. Thank you!

Jul 9, 2018

It seems even booting without the hdd still results in mostly crashing for the PC. I'm still receiving critical process died errors.

zebehrman01, download Seatools and run it on the drive to see what results it gives back. You may also want to try those drives on another computer to see if you get the same results. HDD's are very delicate to movements and vibrations but not so much an SSD, so that could be the cause of this.

Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for your reply, I'll verify my drives are running correctly, but I'm still having trouble logging in while the HDD is unplugged. I think it may be the SSD, so I'll check that as well.

Jul 9, 2018
Hello, I just checked both drives on SeaTools and no issues were detected. I booted up from another PC with my SSD and it ran perfectly, so it seems like the drives are not the issue.

Jul 9, 2018
Sorry for the late reply, I was able to successfully boot and operate on my SSD when plugged into another computer, which makes me think that something else is the cause of this issue. I'm still stuck on where to even begin looking for troubleshooting. I'm thinking of checking my memory to see if there are any issues with it. Does anyone have any good memory diagnostic tools?