BSOD Critical Process Died

brianvi

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Earlier today, I encountered this warning with something like "Your computer is running low on memory, close [insert program] or something can happen to your processes.. Something like that. I closed the program and shut down. A few hours later I returned to my computer and turned it on to then be faced with a BSOD : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I knew that an important process died. Fortunately, this computer isnt the one that I do all my work, so I am not afraid to factory restore it. if I do factory restore it and I avoid the program that caused this, will everything be okay for my computer?

Solution
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurs when a process needed for the operating to run properly, well, dies. Processes are like programs, but multiple processes can be used by a single program- and processes directly interact with your processor, hence their name. The bad thing about this error is that it could be just about anything critical to the operation of your computer: namely, your hard drive, your memory, or, if you’re especially unfortunate, your processor.

try to enter in safe mode
Restart your PC.
Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
Click See Advanced Repair Options.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced Options.
Click Windows Startup Settings.
Click Restart.
You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode

Once you do...

Gaming God

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurs when a process needed for the operating to run properly, well, dies. Processes are like programs, but multiple processes can be used by a single program- and processes directly interact with your processor, hence their name. The bad thing about this error is that it could be just about anything critical to the operation of your computer: namely, your hard drive, your memory, or, if you’re especially unfortunate, your processor.

try to enter in safe mode
Restart your PC.
Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
Click See Advanced Repair Options.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced Options.
Click Windows Startup Settings.
Click Restart.
You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode

Once you do get into safe mode, be sure to check all of your drivers for issues. To do that, press Windows Key + X and click Device Manager, and from that menu, get Windows to check all of your devices for updates. If driver updates are available, install them. Be sure to remove any programs you installed when this started, and if, even after this, you encounter the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error, then it’s time for you to do a full operating system re-install.

Select any one option
The first option is a clean installation. You will lose all your data, but this is almost completely guaranteed to fix your problem. Press Windows Key + I, click Change PC Settings, click General, and click Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows.

The second option is a System Refresh. You will not lose your data, but your base operating system will still be re-installed. This is less likely to fix your problem, but may still work. To do this, follow the same instructions up until General — and select Refresh Your PC Without Affecting Your Files.

Solution