Question BSOD Critical Process Died

KurisuUK

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Hello.

I was watching some YouTube on the computer the other night and PC randomly BSOD with the Critical Process Died error message.

Nothing else was running apart from a few other tabs. It happened while in the middle of a video.

I'm not overly technically minded but I have tried some suggested troubleshoots.

My computer doesn't boot fully now and I'm greeted with a Automatic Repair screen each time. I've gone into troubleshoot and have done all the options available, reset this PC (remove everything), start up repair (again, couldn't repair pc), can't System Restore, uninstall updates etc. Its not allowing me to do anything.

I've removed both my ssd drives that are in my complete and checked them on another computer to see if they're faulty and I can access them fine on another computer. I've checked my RAM via mdsched, no problems but when I restart after checking it get the blue screen again and we are back at square 1.

I've even tried creating and using a recovery usb drive but that doesn't even seem to work as I don't get the option to choose "recover from a drive" and only allows me to install windows 10 from scratch.

Only thing I might try now is using recovery usb to install new windows 10 on my other ssd and format the ssd I've currently got windows on??

Seriously confused right now. Any help would be great.

Specs:

Ryzen 3600
Gigabyte ga a320m-h
16gb ram
Rtx 3060ti

No recent hardware has been installed and haven't done updates manually, only automatic but I cannot remember when the last one was done.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

TwistedFury

Distinguished
Hello Kuruisu,

While you are able to access the files within the SSD from another computer, it is possible that some bootloader information was corrupted. Did you try booting the other computer from your boot SSD?

KurisuUK

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Hello, I was able to gain access to both my ssds while on the other computer. I didn't use the ssd to boot the computer as it already had windows on it (father in laws) but I could move/copy thing from it to his without issue.

Thanks

TwistedFury

Distinguished
Hello, I was able to gain access to both my ssds while on the other computer. I didn't use the ssd to boot the computer as it already had windows on it (father in laws) but I could move/copy thing from it to his without issue.

Thanks
I see. The simplest solution short term would be to just use your father in law's computer to back up your important files, then reinstall Windows from scratch on your computer.

KurisuUK

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Thank you for your answer. I decided to format the drive that windows was originally on and did a clean install. Seems to be stable so far. Fingers crossed.