[SOLVED] BSOD (daily) during general use: fine in games (I suspect driver).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2021
Hope someone can help me; I've tried several things to try and solve this myself.

Windows typically bluescreens once a day usually while watching youtube or general use. Not had any crashes while gaming. This began after I noticed some devices complaining in device manager so I then installed the latest drivers for my motherboard from MSI.
The errors in device manager went away but the BSODs began. I then updated BIOS in case that was related although probably shouldn't of as everything did work for ages prior and I didn't note what version I was on before...

I tried sfc and all the usual BSOD recommendations and analysing dumps myself but nothing obvious to me. Re-installed win10 as I hoped windows would install its own drivers but that hasn't helped. I did install the latest chipset driver from MSI. I haven't got the latest audio or LAN drivers as I thought they may have been what killed it. That being said my clean win install has nahimic audio and the realtek I was on before didn't include that. Looks like a pain to get rid of so I haven't tried.

System
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO - MSI B450 GAMING PLUS Max
RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
GPU - Nvidia 1060 GTX 6GB
PSU - EVGA 650W GQ Gold
SSD - 250GB Samsung EVO (SATA) exact model not sure.
Win Ver: 19041

Minidumps (most recent first)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - https://www.dropbox.com/s/raq3djsjzm3nrzs/010721-9875-01.dmp?dl=0
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (happened during shutdown yesterday not seen before unlike the others) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/el6jrgw9i5pnwbg/010721-10671-01.dmp?dl=0
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (most common) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4exwujpxbqxgbdp/010521-12000-01.dmp?dl=0

TL;DR: BSODs with clean-ish install of win 10, latest chipset driver and BIOS.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/32d1pwqv/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:010721-9875-01.dmp (Jan 7 2021 - 11:33:03)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:010721-10671-01.dmp (Jan 6 2021 - 16:58:07)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File information:010521-12000-01.dmp (Jan 5 2021 - 07:42:58)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX
There is a BIOS update available for your system however it's a Beta and we usually don't recommend updating to a Beta unless you have a specific need. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Top one is Nvidia GPU drivers, try updating your drivers, yours are from July
Jul 05 2020nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver

do you WIFI or Ethernet?
Your WIFI drivers need replacing if you can
Oct 31 2014bcmwl63a.sysBroadcom 802 11 Network Adapter Wireless driver

May 26 2020rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
ethernet not so bad, newer versions here, 3rd link under windows header - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Jan 7, 2021
I'll update the GPU and WiFi. I use ethernet though but cautious of the fact that my BSODs started with a driver update; so I'll do them piecemeal and ethernet in a couple of days if the BSODs persist.

As all the errors are memory corruption is it worth a full overnight memtest? I doubt its hardware though as system was stable for 18mo prior.

Jan 7, 2021
Ok. Have updated GPU and LAN. WiFi is an ASUS PCE-AC56 and is plug and play; checked in device manager and windows thinks it is the most up to date driver possible; no drivers available to download from ASUS.

Will see how it goes over the next few days. Thanks for your time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/ASUS_PCE-AC56 - always handy to see what is behind the labels, Asus always rename their chips. site lets me see what they really are.

Broadcom chipset (but we knew that) - BCM4352

Problem is Broadcom don't make their own drivers. They used to rely on Killer drivers to do it for them, but that company got bought by Intel last year and no longer support the old devices. I was sad when that happened.

You might need to buy a new WIFI card, I would aim at an AX WIFI 6 card mainly as they are brand new and won't need to be replaced for a long time. Anything that is AC could be up to 8 years old now and just as likely to need replacing soon again.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ev8cafw7/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:011221-9890-01.dmp (Jan 12 2021 - 07:04:46)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
love to tell you what cause of that was...
system was idle, something called a memory address and didn't find what it was looking for and crashed.

Try using ethernet if you can and disable wifi and see if it stops the bsod.

there is a way to get windows to show bad drivers but I try to avoid it as it can also break windows. Hopefully the next crash (if you get one) will show us some clues so I don't need to suggest it.

Jan 9, 2021
love to tell you what cause of that was...
system was idle, something called a memory address and didn't find what it was looking for and crashed.

Try using ethernet if you can and disable wifi and see if it stops the bsod.

there is a way to get windows to show bad drivers but I try to avoid it as it can also break windows. Hopefully the next crash (if you get one) will show us some clues so I don't need to suggest it.

Infamous driver verifier?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, the infamous driver verifer. Nice if a check made by Microsoft wouldn't also put windows into a boot loop. I try to avoid it as if a reinstall is the only way to resolve it, we might as well clean install to fix the BSOD, and that feels like using a hammer. I prefer to know what cause was. Sometimes clean is only way.

Reactions: Uncodable
Jan 9, 2021
Yes, the infamous driver verifer. Nice if a check made by Microsoft wouldn't also put windows into a boot loop. I try to avoid it as if a reinstall is the only way to resolve it, we might as well clean install to fix the BSOD, and that feels like using a hammer. I prefer to know what cause was. Sometimes clean is only way.

I don't think it puts Windows into a boot loop if you manage to get into safe mode, which is somewhat harder to get into in Windows 10. Does not take away from the fact that it should disable itself if it detects an error.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can only get into safe mode in win 10 if you can get as far as the logon screen (or if you set it up before hand)**
Since most people get stuck in a boot, error, restart loop that can be difficult to do.

**Okay, if you boot off the installer and run the spoiler in cmd you can set up win 10 to go into safe mode from boot
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

but you need an installer for that or a little pre planning as you could make changes in windows before hand. In my instructions for DV I do ask them to create a restore point and make an installer so they can boot off it and run system restore. I haven't added the safe mode work around to it yet... maybe one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncodable
Jan 7, 2021
I had tried driver verifier before a clean install. Then I ran out of talent and ideas so came to you guys as I saw you helping so many people with various BSODs 🏅. I can try it again; I did end up in a boot loop as it complained about a windows driver; I may have set it up wrong.
Windows did break out of the loop however and I managed to boot in safe mode and turn it off.

I'd rather run some hardware diagnostics before trying that again, as the software isn't telling us what's going wrong maybe it isn't to blame. memtest86 found no issues in 4 passes. Is there a recommended tool for checking SSD health?

When that bug check occurred, did the system crash while you were away, or did it crash after you started using the machine?

Crash was while in use. I was connected to a RDP session for work and was in the middle of writing a message in slack on the remote PC. My machine was running a VPN client, RDP and spotify. Other crashes have happened while using explorer, opening tabs in chrome and mid youtube video iirc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wasn't suggesting it, we sort of discussed its problems. if DV didn't help before, and you did a clean install and it still happens, its likely not software

I would suggest latest bios but its still in beta so your choice, it mostly adds support for the new CPU and the new memory sharing AMD let you do with their GPU

you have a cpu/motherboard combo that seem to follow me around. One other person who fixes BSOD here thinks there is a problem with the chipset and BIOS of the B450 boards but I don't have any proof and his fix seems to create more bsod. So I won't suggest that here either.

all your crashes are mostly internet related activities, have you tried the Ethernet as it could be that Wi-Fi card.

Jan 7, 2021
WiFi card removed from PC, uninstalled from device manager first. Also check SSDs with samsung software; a data drive had a firmware update so I installed that. Will play the waiting game once more.

Jan 7, 2021
So I still get crashes without the wifi.

New collection of dumps: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nv2hohepaxw6497/AAD5H0jzxOSiui3y9fkErG1ha?dl=0

I have tried fiddling a bit myself: well desperately mashing things. So there are a few changes across this collection of dumps.
I enabled a-xmp as one forum post somewhere said they had better luck with that. I didn't notice a change.
I enabled driver verifier for all drivers not by Microsoft. Now my system BSODs more often but I'm not seeing it pinpoint a driver. BSODs still happen on error checks in windows drivers I think.

Sadly my previous build was intel so I have no way to swap out parts to test mobo and CPU. My spare PSU is super old and pretty nasty, also probably underpowered so can't use that either...

I need to run my displays for decent productivity so running in safe mode for a long period is out of the question. I could maybe leave it overnight in safe mode but not sure if the BSOD presents itself while idle.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/wyvLxs85/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:011821-15796-01.dmp (Jan 18 2021 - 03:56:01)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:011721-9812-01.dmp (Jan 17 2021 - 09:13:43)
Bugcheck:APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: NahimicService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File information:011721-15515-01.dmp (Jan 17 2021 - 16:35:57)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File information:011621-9984-01.dmp (Jan 16 2021 - 18:35:48)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:011621-9953-01.dmp (Jan 16 2021 - 11:25:36)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: vrserver.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

Jan 7, 2021
I see one of those mentions Nahimic and I did update audio drivers as part of getting drivers from MSI which started the BSODs. I can't work out how to get rid of it / rollback to more basic standalone realtek driver. When I clean installed windows this nahamic software was automatically installed. My intuition says the other crashes are catching something else being slow to release or already corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.