BSOD, different messege each time

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Im getting random BSOD with different messeges. Its not the memory, I ran memtest86 4.0 all night and it completed 4 runs without errors.

so its something else and im trying to narrow the possibilities down.. heres the problem history:

I have consistantly had problems trying to overclock my CPU/video cards. I7-3970x, Evga 680 sli, Rampage IV Extreme all watercooled... 650ti physix for fun.

Id say ive had better luck with OC my CPU, I had it "everyday" stable(1 hr of OCCT) at 5Ghz for about a month before it started to have freezes. Ive been using it at stock since then (~1 month).

My GPUs have not OC well at all. They are only stable using MSI afterburner voltage +110, Core clock +100, Mem Clock +300. Temps get around 50C after hours of gaming.

CPU and 680s on water, and radiator overkill. I think temps were ok.. as temp in room often gets pretty hot.

PROBLEM "STARTED" when I attempted to bump up my overclocks for Crysis 3 multiplayer...

I thought id try the Rampage IV extreme Gamers OC settings figuring theyd be pretty safe. After boot, I updated my drivers to the most recent beta driver (the one for crysis 3). Halfway through installation of driver I get BSOD. On reboot, Im BSOD during windows loading. I cant even load into safe mode or boot from windows CD without BSOD. I only get into windows again after reverting to BIOS safe defaults.

I then move toward system restore, and as im about to perform restore.. BSOD again..

I load windows from CD and reinstall. My HD is revodrive x2, which is a PCI-e Raid array SSD. On fresh reinstall, I load network drivers and move to nvidia website to download drivers. When im about to click "download driver".. BSOD.. :heink:

OK.. I reboot and go to windows update, expecting it to download nvidia drivers for me.. I download the first set of updates, which includes nvidia drivers. reboot so updates install. I notice nvidia drivers have installed... so I test crysis 3 again..

BSOD

I'm at work right now, so I cant check what nvidia driver windows update downloaded... when I get home ill be sure to install the most recent official driver.

After that, Im going to turn off my PCI lanes for my 680 cards, and only use the SSD and 650ti. Complete all software installation, then try crysis 3 on the 650ti. Then try on each 680 by itself. That will rule out graphics card issues.

Im honestly thinking the problem could be the revodrive. Either its faulty, or it has junk on it that I cannot clear because you cannot format a revo without going into linux.

Other than that, perhaps the power supply? How do you all reccommend I check the PSU? Perhaps put it in my friends computer and see if he gets BSODs?

And then theres the CPU... perhaps I hurt it at 5 GHZ for a month? The temps were only over 60C when I ran OCCT..

Other ideas?

I think you are trying to do too much at once and w/o having an understanding of what each setting change does. While many self proclaimed pundits "poo poo" built in over clocking tools, I'm in agreement with the rest who find them quite valuable. I always will use the built on Overclocking Tools to "see what they come up with" .... but I NEVER leave it alone. Then I go about seeing how long it will take me to do better. The OC tools however provides a very valuable starting point for me saving em a lot of time. Of course this depends on who teh MoBo manufacturer is, how good their BIOS is and how good the tools are. With Asus' entusiast boards, it's very easy.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p8z77_ws/13.htm

Manually tuning or using ASUS TurboV Evo tool you can overclock on this board as easy as any in the ASUS P8Z77 arsenal. By using TurboV EVO in AI Suite II the board and software set up a perfectly stable 4.42GHz speed on my clock speed challenged Core i7 3770K. Manual tuning was a bit more rewarding as it usually is at 4.6GHz.

That being done though, I'd write down all the successful settings and the see what you can do on your own. Peruse the Asus boards looking fro official guidance. For example, here's one for the 2500k/2600k P8P67 boards which I found extremely useful.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

Look thru the forum for threads like these.... I always use offset mode will LLC rather than a fixed voltage setting.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1651429&highlight=Rampage+Overclocking&page=24

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1. This is very good advice and an excellent observation.

Still, I would like to know what make/model of PSU you are using. You have a lot of horsepower in this rig that consumes a lot of power.

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Corsair AX1200

Its about 2 years old, and was driving two 580s and a 990x before the 3970x and 680s... also, theres a very slight possibility it got a splash of water or humidity up inside it at one point about 2 months ago when I was installing the 680s.

I agree, the PSU is a good bet. I also noticed my fan controller screen hasnt been working properly/not completely lit up and some fans havent been running as fast as others. This could just be unsecure/faulty connections on fan controller board tho.

In response to JackNaylorPE, this problem started shortly after using the BIOs "Gamers OC" pre-set. It wasnt a self OC. But I'll check out the ASUS TurboV Evo tool.