[SOLVED] BSOD/DPC_Watchdog_Violation error recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2021
So I've been getting this error since around the 11th/12th of this month after a thunderstorm knocked out the power in the block while I was playing a game (I kinda feel asleep before it happen and didn't know until it already happened). Now its been freezing and then crashing a few minutes later at least once or twice a day. I've already done scanning all my disk drives and doing whatever repair it possibly needed (At least on the C drive, that's the SSD), I already unplugged my external drive to see if that caused the problem but turned up nothing, and I tried doing the SATA AHCI one for it. I've only now found out about the error code around last week.

I did also keep checking event viewer and one of the things it comes up is this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 (0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0xfffff8042b8fa320, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 21137132-cdde-43b9-a560-497c9fffba69.

I'll also include the minidump and some of the PC specs as well

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k4zatu1KN7d3OQ9uiTReJXCR1HWmzKiC/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Solution
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I will ask a friend to convert the dumps

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I will ask a friend to convert the dumps

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/yqkau8x9/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:072121-6484-01.dmp (Jul 21 2021 - 01:24:48)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File information:071921-7796-01.dmp (Jul 19 2021 - 01:02:35)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: THMHJ.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)

File information:071821-7640-01.dmp (Jul 19 2021 - 00:44:18)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

File information:071721-9640-01.dmp (Jul 17 2021 - 19:51:00)
Bugcheck:STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED (C000021A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: smss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File information:071321-7812-01.dmp (Jul 13 2021 - 13:00:58)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 46 Sec(s)
Possible System page: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-series/legion-t5-28imb05
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version T14A and the latest is T19A. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
DPC watchdog violation seems to be the BSOD of the month. I hardly get them and then boom, everyone which makes me wonder.
Status system Process terminated isn't normal... in that I don't remember seeing it before.

4 out of 5 errors all refer to ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

which is odd as I don't normally see any.

have you run automatic updates here? https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...-t5-28imb05/downloads/automatic-driver-update

Jul 21, 2021
I did all the updates the website had last night but I also took a look at the system info and it didn't do anything for the BIOS, just stayed at O4NKT14A so I'm probably gonna have to update the BIOS myself. I'm just waiting if its okay to go ahead with it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MW1KZGKT3imREZG-isNvmXBWbejUgPsQ/view?usp=sharing Here's also two more minidumps if it helps any

Edit: Now that I actually like took a look back on when the minidumps are made, they almost always seem to hit around 12 am/pm. That's weird

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021
Alright so update:

I already installed the newest BIOS yesterday afternoon and there wasn't any crashes so far. Well, it crashed on me at around 2:30pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MW1KZGKT3imREZG-isNvmXBWbejUgPsQ/view?usp=sharing I updated the link with the newest one. Another look at the event viewer has me seeing this pop up as well around the time the crashes happen

"Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed."

"5032 - Driver Miniport reset watchdog"

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/py647krx/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:072521-7000-01.dmp (Jul 25 2021 - 15:34:21)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File information:072321-9328-01.dmp (Jul 23 2021 - 01:09:37)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File information:072321-7328-01.dmp (Jul 23 2021 - 13:49:27)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:072121-8000-01.dmp (Jul 21 2021 - 14:13:21)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)
The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jul 21, 2021
That's weird that its showing up recently, I've been updating my nvidia driver already. I did go to the website and download the latest one there was on the website (just the website itself just to be sure I gotten the latest one that Geforce Experience might of missed but it seems it was already installed before).

gardenman

Splendid
The latest driver isn't always the best. The latest driver can be buggy, whereas the previous driver was not. NVIDIA is known for releasing good drivers, then several bad drivers. At least that's how it was with my GTX 770, for years.

Anyway, I suggest trying a slightly older version if the newer one isn't working good. It may, or may not help but it's worth a try. Use DDU as I stated above between drivers to fully clear the previous one out.

Jul 21, 2021
True, I just find it weird that its now in addition flagging Nvidia after the BIOS update. It was having BSOD before I updated to the recent Nvidia driver last week.

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU - i7-10700
GPU? RTX 20X0 Super
Ram - 16gb SK Hynix
Storage? Up to 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVMe OPAL2.0 + 2TB HDD 7200rpm 3.5"
PSU?

I don't even know who lenovo would use for PSU.
I thought it was a laptop till I searched for it and saw it was a tower - https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/deskto...towers/Lenovo-Legion-T5-28IMB05/p/99LE9500351

How nvidia drivers react can depend on age of card. Older cards may not get any advantage out of upgrading drivers and are better off staying with the ones that work. If its a new card, it should work with them. We appear to have same age cards so yours should work with latest drivers

half of them are ACPI and others were NVidia drivers. I would uninstall the Nvidia drivers and get the new ones from Lenovo as its from May - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-series/legion-t5-28imb05/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Graphics Processing Units (GPU) and Server-AI Accelerators

Jul 21, 2021
So I installed WhoCrashed to try and take a look at my dumps files a bit as well and Intelppm sys & acpi sys seems to be popping up quite a bit, most of the reports going
towards the intelppm one (to give you an idea of some of the dump files it scanned). And I already did do the updates the intel website had for my drivers on those. So unless that power outage knocked something up with it, who knows. The screenshot to see what i mean

Colif

Win 11 Master
intelppm.sys is part of windows. Its used by windows to talk to cpu for power. ACPI.sys is also used for power management

Clearly since it only started after the outage its related but I am not sure if damage is software or hardware.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

thats just to check if its windows.

Turning windows off the wrong way without letting it do it its own way can also break windows. Can corrupt files. Often it seems to be boot files for some reason.

Wonder if getting PC looked at by repair shop would help. Its possible outage damaged PSU or GPU.

Jul 21, 2021
If I did it right, this is what I gotten. I even restarted just to be sure
LMWk1wJ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.