Question BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION ?

Dec 19, 2022
Hello,
I have the computer a year, I replaced the card six months ago. I have been struggling with random BSODs for over a month now.
BSODs are totally random GPU drivers were removed by DDU, system restore/factory reset, tried many different AMD driver versions.
I have updated all drivers, before factory reset, after factory reset all drivers should be up to date.
BIOS was updated, restoredto default, XMP on/off
I can't find any errors when testing, eveything works properly in dxdiag/occt/memtest/aida etc.

I'm open for any help, could do any test again if needed to provide results.
minidump files below - there are some from old system and few from new image.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U_DHfDvp9QPZg11bBd7GqgAakD7KZSm8/view

From what I remember, it might have started after a GPU crash, after which the PC would boot with no resolution and I had to reinstall the GPU drivers, but at the time I didn't pay much attention to it, so I don't remember the details.

PC:
MSI B560-A PRO
Intel i5-11400F
RX 6700XT
2x 8 GB crucial balistix ddr4 3200 (removed both one by one, still BSOD on both)
Samsung NVME 970 evo plus 1TB (reseted to factory settings - still bsod / formatted, installed totally new image - still bsod)
Crucial CT500MX500SSD1 500GB (previous system drive > moved system to NVME, removed - still BSOD)
SilentiumPC Vero L3 600W (changed for test for SilientumPC supremo FM2 750W 80 plus gold - still BSOD)

Dec 19, 2022
1st. Googled amd rx 6700 xt drivers and choosen amd's official page.
2nd same page - just used adrenaline tool to install drivers automaticlly
3rd during windows new image installation the drivers were installed automaticlly during installation.

Today PC was working for 12hours w/o BSOD and after 1st BSOD occured, the second appear after 2 hours. (I ve got task manager photo from second screen when the PC hanged up)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13qH-L8DYRuul9fdzH8Ymo7TAtG3T-6uS/view?usp=sharing

There is HW info log file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuQKUTMzFRfH5UL4NkH7ww6cmTcugwoy/view?usp=sharing

and 2 minidumps:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UIN0UmLOXy6DpXoJbq9sCWZhbXBmappO/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
Most of the time this error "BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" is hardware incompatibly or driver corruption.

History for my research
You have installed the drivers without the adrenaline tool correct and the bsod still occurs, and this is windows 10?

My experience with DDU is at times it leaves .dll files in the the folder which can cause issues. Though maybe the new versions do not. I had to boot into safe mode to remove the entire old GPU folder if I did not they would load on a normal boot.

Just in case there is a another hardware issue I use Samsung SSD Magician which is a SSD monitor software and firmware updater for Samsung SSD's

Motherboard has updates and I suggest downloading the MSI Center which has a support tab with updates for motherboards. Unless you feel comfortable downloading them yourself. There are many updates for your motherboard.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B360-A-PRO/support#utility

Dec 19, 2022
Used DDU again in safe mode and installed drivers without adrenaline tool. - BSOD still occurs,
Checked drivers with Samsung ssd magician - no errors
Updated everything used drivers downloaded from msi.com (my motherboard is B560-A-PRO).

Dec 19, 2022
From January 3 to January 19, I had another card (RTX 3070), and a friend was using my RX 6700XT.
For two weeks the BSOD did not occur either with me or with him.

Today I reinserted the RX into my PC and already had 2 BSODs.

So it looks like some kind of compatibility problem, hardware or what I'm more betting on with the drivers or applications I'm using.

Let me remind you that the system was reinstalled,
BSOD occurs most often when playing Lost Ark - however, that's mainly what I use the card for, and most often this game is on. (A friend using my card did not play this game).

zx128k

Reputable
Most of the time this error "BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" is hardware incompatibly or driver corruption.

History for my research
You have installed the drivers without the adrenaline tool correct and the bsod still occurs, and this is windows 10?

My experience with DDU is at times it leaves .dll files in the the folder which can cause issues. Though maybe the new versions do not. I had to boot into safe mode to remove the entire old GPU folder if I did not they would load on a normal boot.

Just in case there is a another hardware issue I use Samsung SSD Magician which is a SSD monitor software and firmware updater for Samsung SSD's

Motherboard has updates and I suggest downloading the MSI Center which has a support tab with updates for motherboards. Unless you feel comfortable downloading them yourself. There are many updates for your motherboard.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B360-A-PRO/support#utility

Overclockers get it all the time. Normally the GPU driver gets corrupted quickly because it gets used the most in games. sfc /scannow would be a good idea. Also see if the game you are playing is being corrupted, most have a scan and repair feature. You could try running a stablity test to see if your system is stable.

Dec 19, 2022
I'm not overclocking anything, everything was reseted to default, system was reinstalled.

I was using sfc /scannow - it was fixing something, but after that everything was correct BSOD still occurs.

Done right now: C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

After system re-installing the game was downloaded and installed the game again (did it twice, but Ok i ll check files again)

Could you tell me what stability test should I run? I have already ran AIDA 64 for 1h or longer, occt for 1h or longer, some intel CPU checks, furmark, full prime95, whole memtest86, and some other applications. Almost always everything was fine.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
There are guides for this but normally for me its something unstable. I google a guide for you here. Note you have already done the sfc /scannow part. You state you have done a full prime95. So f thats true you are likely stable. If you just ran blend for a few hours or SSE instructions only that can be a different story. You have done a full install of windows as well. The guide has further steps outlined.